SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#178891 - 09/14/04 06:04 PM My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thought I'd update everyone with what's been going on with my Yamaha Tyros USB problem. As some of you might recall, Yamaha 'finally' acknowledged a couple of weeks ago (after going back & forth with them over this issue for months) that there indeed is a known issue with USB/PC connectivity on some Tyros keyboards, and that Yamaha USA now has an official hardware fix for this (covered under warranty).

I was really fortunate and "LUCKY" that a member of the repair staff at an authorized Yamaha keyboard repair shop in my area (30 miles away), just happened to attend one of the Christmas Parties I entertained for last year, and at that time, he came up and introduced himself, presented his card, and offered to help me out if I ever needed keyboard repair services.

This Tyros USB hardware replacement issue became just the opportunity for me to take him up on his offer. Instead of having to wait weeks (behind the busy shop's many other jobs ahead of mine) they went ahead performed the USB board replacement update (of which always included installing/replacing diodes) TODAY (Tuesday), the SAME day I brought it in.

I just recieved a call from the shop and advised me they have completed the repair and that I can pick up my keyboard tomorrow morning (Wednesday). I'm thankful for their help in insuring me that I now won't have to be without my Tyros keyboard for any of my gigs.

Unfortunately, because the repair shop doesn't have a computer which includes a USB port, or Yamaha Tyros software installed, they weren't able test & verify whether their USB board & diode replacement successfully fixed the problem or not. I'm gonna drive back tomorrow morning and bring it back home and test it myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I"ll keep you posted. Please wish me luck. - Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#178892 - 09/14/04 06:52 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Yay for Scott! After 12 months of crusading you actually got somewhere! No prizes to Yamaha for customer service.

I'm sure it will work fine -- and it makes a world of a difference. Transfer rate is very good and very quick.

Chony

#178893 - 09/15/04 07:17 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Chony, thanks for your response and support. Considering nobody else replied, I wonder how much interest there is to my situation. Well, I hope there is at least a little more sympathy for me know, cuz I got more BAD news to report.

I just returned home from the second 70 mile round trip drive I had to make to the keyboard repair shop, this time to 'pick up' my Tyros keyboard, which underwent the USB Port board replacement modification.
After hooking my Tyros back up to my computer via USB, to my horrible discovery , the Tyros' USB Port connection still doesn't work.

I immediately called Yamaha USA hardware techician, Jason Lee, the guy Steve Deming had earlier refered my case to, and he advised me that my only recourse now is to ship my keyboard back to Yamaha USA in Buena Park, CA, and that he would then attempt to fix the problem directly at Yamaha.

I just got back from my local 'packing & shipping store, and it's costing me $85 to have it both custom packed & padded in a large box (to fit both the Tyros as well Kases Porter keyboard case (to provide added protection) via UPS, and insured for $2,500. Unfortunately, Yamaha will not cover the shippping to their facility. Of whatever good news I can get out of this, Jason promised me (to expedite a quick turnaround) he would get started on this repair job the same day he receives the keyboard.

In the meantime, I'm NOW without the keyboard I rely on for work. Luckily, due to the generousity of friends, I'm able to borrow their PSR2000 keyboard to gig with for the next week or so. Thank goodness I saved all my old PSR2000 styles & registrations on floppy, as well as the PSR2000 Music Finder file which can be loaded into the borrowed keyboard. Even so, this is going to be more than a little inconvenient & awkward to have to do my gigs for the next week without my Tyros because I rely on Tyros specific registrations bank files for much of my show, and unfortunately Tyros Registrations & Music Finder Files will not play on the PSR2000, or even the PSR3000 for all that matters.

Ok, I think I'm ready for a stiff drink right now, but I suppose it wiser to take an aspirin instead. As always, I promise to keep everyone posted on the lastest developments. Ok, I guess I better start getting used to playing those 'cheesy spongy' keys again.

I have to admit that how this whole scenerio turns out will determine what future keyboard(s) I get next.

- Scott

#178894 - 09/15/04 08:46 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott

I've been following your story. I just don't a lot of time to reply. Sorry to hear what sounded so good has now turned bad. I sure hope after all this Yamaha fixes it correctly once and for all. I think they'd prefer you to through it away and buy something new. From Yamaha, of course!

Tom G.

#178895 - 09/15/04 09:09 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
trtjazz Offline

Scott
Hope it all comes out ok. The only thing I will say about your comment for future shoices in boards is that they are all susceptible to break.

Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, all their repair facilities across the entire US are filled every day with broken cars.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 09-15-2004).]

#178896 - 09/15/04 09:19 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott:

I have no direct interest in the Tyros but I'm always interested in issues and resolutions related to it. Also it's interesting to see how you'll cope, as I'm sure you will. Not having my primary keyboard available for any reason has always been a long-standing fear and I've developed several backup systems to cope with it. These things happen. None the less, best of luck with a speedy recovery, and keep us posted.

#178897 - 09/15/04 10:16 PM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, all their repair facilities across the entire US are filled every day with broken cars.

Terry

Which just goes to show you the pitiful, lackluster and downright disheartening condition of pride of quality workmanship not only in the USA, i.e. (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) but the World in general, i.e. (Yamaha, Korg, Roland). Although never having owned a Korg or Roland product I really can't speak negatively about them personally. But from what I read on various Keyboard Forums on the internet, Korg and Roland are no exception.

I think the biggest quandary in being able to make exceptionally good quality and reliable Keyboards or any other product for that matter is: 1. Not constructing the product using 'quality' parts: 2. The Company not being willing to spend the necessary money to attract and hire personnel that are truly qualified to do the job right: 3. Companies that try to save a buck (penny wise but pound foolish) by parting out the Manufacturing end of things to under-qualified Countries (with under-qualified Factories) and under-qualified workers.

To give you an example of deteriorating quality just think back about 25 years or so ago when home Stereo Receivers were built like tanks and weighed about as much as one too. They lasted a lifetime it seemed and all because of their quality expert craftmanship and the quality parts placed in them. The sound produced by those solidly built Receivers back then was breathtaking and astonishing to say the least.

>> Now fast forward to todays Stereo Receivers and what do you mostly get? How about light as a feather, cheap parts with most everything made of plastic. And 99 times out of a 100 the sound doesn't hold a candle to Receivers made years ago with expertly crafted and high quality parts. And that 1% that does sound like those of yesteryear, were most assuredly made from quality parts from an upstanding quality focused and driven Company who's main work ethic IMO is not in the pursuit of becoming filthy rich but in the pursuit of perfection itself.

Btw, Lexus which is a subsidiary of Toyota, has a slogan they use. Do you know what it is? "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection".

Do you also know that Lexus vehicles are among the most problem free vehicles ranked out of a 100 from JD Power and Associates? In fact the Lexus SC430 recorded the best score ever recorded by Power. But it is sad to note that even Lexus's ranking for quality has declined 14% for all its Models from just a few years ago.

>> A sign of the times??? Let's hope not!

Yamaha - A sign of the times??? Let's hope not from them either!!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-15-2004).]

#178898 - 09/16/04 03:57 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
As for quality of products: I can not remember the times when we didn't have problems with electrical equipment. And as for cars: there have always been "friday-version" or "monday-versions". And I believe cars have improved since they are made by robots.
Metal is better too - now I can drive my car 12 years, my previous car 11 years, the car before that was all rusty after 7.5 years and all the cars before that too.
My point is: some things have improved. Unfortunately other things haven't.
It also has to do with complexity of things. Computers crash and that will not change, because software gets more demanding and programs more complex - although a change in sourcecode by simplification could improve things.
Company mentality has changed over the years. Company directors are managers who are not in any way interested in product quality - they want to sell, get rich, and don't give a damn about the products or their customers.
This stupid USB problem Scott's Tyros has should be handled by Yamaha on their costs. It should have been fixed a year ago.
Scott should be given a replacement Tyros so he can carry on until his own Tyros is fixed. Yamaha acts like the USB is something special that needn't be working.
No service policy at all.
That's managers for you.

------------------
drdalet

#178899 - 09/16/04 04:06 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Dnj Offline

Scott.....

Silly question...did you try your Tyros BEFORE you left the repair shop after driving all that way?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2004).]

#178900 - 09/16/04 06:07 AM Re: My Tyros finally gets USB Board Upgrade Replacement !
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
We do not know each other, but I feel that I do! You have ability to use any keyboard and please anybody! You are talented, yet not stuck-up and will help anyone. We value you and appreciate your input. Hope you and the 2000 get along well, and the Tyros runs back to you very soon I have a 2000 and it is a good board also!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online