SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17877 - 02/21/99 03:57 PM N1 FX (direct headphones vs sending to mixer and headphones)
skymuse Offline

Hey everyone,

I'm using Cakewalk Pro 5.0 as a sequencer and the N1 in Multi mode as my main soundbox. Observation:

When I listen to the sequence through headphones directly out of the N1, it's beautiful and full. When I run Outputs 1 and 2 into a Mackey 1202 mixer and then listen through the same headphones on the mixer jack, the FX are noticeably lessened and there's more of a direct signal sound with the FX at a much lower level.

My question is, is the Mackey a piece of cr*p, or is there something I'm not doing right as far as sending FX? Or does the N1 send a different FX level through the main outputs than it does through the headphone jack? I notice that the DAT copies I've recorded sound very different than if I play the sequence "live" and listen through the N1. If this is an insoluble thing, it's no big deal, just means I have to use an FX processor post-send, which was what I was trying to avoid.....

If anyone has ideas, tips, tricks, suggestions, etc., please email me or reply here.

Thanks!

BJ
skymuse@cjnetworks.com

#17878 - 02/22/99 06:37 PM Re: N1 FX (direct headphones vs sending to mixer and headphones)
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
For starters, NO, your Mackie isn't crap! Its one of the toughest, cleanest mixers I've ever used! I swear by mine after the blizzard of noise even mid-line mixers from other companies have put me through. Anything that will deliver cleanly while in use under a mass of radio towers...!
Second, while I'm hard-pressed to give you a definitive answer on the FX/balance mismatch, it IS the case that headphone jacks have a different impedance because they're intended to drive them little cans instead of outboard speakers. This no doubt play a part in your problem. Sometimes that happens to me & sometimes it DOESN'T. Delicate mixes lose more than pumpin' pieces, so it's possibly a matter of sufficient gain.
I'd say e-mail Korg.com AND ask a local tech /techs about that. There are so many odd fringe behaviors in e-music, even between models from the same company, that you have to just ask around. Even Craig Anderton doesn't know it ALL!
There's also no law that says you can't try driving things directly FROM the headphone jack. Juggle your settings a bit and see how it turns out. I've had this method yield a good sound, especially low-level things that sounded a bit fuzzy to begin with. If you're going techno, it might even add some character you'll like. Adapter plugs uber alles part of the time, y'know! If you get more info, please post it.

#17879 - 02/22/99 06:49 PM Re: N1 FX (direct headphones vs sending to mixer and headphones)
skymuse Offline

Huey--thanks for the reply, and I was fairly sure the Mackey wasn't too bad (it's survived for 8 years and 3 bands so far)....Never thought to try using the headphone jack as an "out"....now I have to find a stereo cable in the pile somewhere......

I've emailed Korg but no reply yet, and unfortunately I seem to be "it" around here for MIDI and e-music info.....

Thanks again!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online