SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17874 - 08/29/99 11:25 AM xrdr and roland a33..fun,fun,fun
ron p Offline

Loc: flemington, nj usa
Two questions.
One:
I am using a Roland a33 to control an x5dr. I'd like to use the 32 presets on the a33 to control Combination sounds on the x5dr. I know that it does this but so far I only know how to set the presets to control Program Mode sounds.
Basically, I want full control of the x5dr (Program and Combination sounds) via a33 presets rather than fishing around for sounds using the x5dr's tedious interface.

Two:
For home recording I connect the a33 midi out to to the Wave/4 computer soundcard midi input. The wave/4 midi out goes to the x5dr midi in. (The only way I can currently get it to produce sound is to send a GM Mode ON message via Band in the Box software. Is there another way, or does this always require that software do the GM Mode On message? I'm not sequencing, I'm recording wav files, so having the extra program open increases my CPU overhead) Anyway, when I am connected to the computer. The x5dr goes into Multi mode. In this mode the a33 cannot call up any Combination Mode sounds -- not even the a33 factory defaults which, if I have the a33 connected directly to the x5dr, it can. That is, connected directly the a33, default presets call up 32 x5dr Combination sounds.
The question in all of this is: Can I get my Combi sounds triggered using the a33 presets when I'm connected to my computer?
Thanks!!
I'll post this in Roland forum as well.

#17875 - 08/31/99 01:35 AM Re: xrdr and roland a33..fun,fun,fun
Ward Music Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
1) The only way you can get a controller keyboard to change the mode of the X5DR from program or multi to combi is through system exclusive messages. The A33 cannot be programmed to transmit the sequence required to change the mode.

2) You can only use programs in MULTI mode.
The module will receive messages in the combi mode, if they are on the correct MIDI channel. Each part of every combination is set as to the MIDI channel it will receive on. The factory Combis all receive on channel 1. If you set your A33 to transmit on channel 1, and the wave/4 is set to simply pass through the message without 'channelizing' it, it will work.

Steve Martin
Ward Music Ltd.

#17876 - 08/31/99 02:07 PM Re: xrdr and roland a33..fun,fun,fun
ron p Offline

Loc: flemington, nj usa
Thanks for your help.

I still have a thought about the first question though. You mention that you cannot use the a33 controller to change the mode of the x5dr. However, I can manually change the mode by hitting the Combination Mode button on the xrd5. Now, I have access to the factory presets on the a33 which can call up 32 Combination mode sounds (and this all refers to when the a33 midi out goes directly to the x5dr midi in; this doesn't involve the computer). So, you see, I can use the controller to call up the Combination Mode sounds that I want, however, I don't know how to change what the a33 has programmed into it as factory presets. That is, I only have access to the 32 presets and they are not the presets I want or the order I want them in. The idea is that I want to call up the xrd5 sounds by hitting an a33 button without fiddling around with the x5dr interface. That way, I can label each preset as piano, strings, sax, etc. and do rapid changes during performances. How does one change the factory presets? Thanks.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online