SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178387 - 07/23/02 12:55 PM Tips' tips.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Since I opened up a new bag here - I'll elaborate on a theory I've had for some time now.
Here it is, in a nutshell:

People tip at piano bars more than anywhere else.

This means that electronic setups are a DETRIMENT to obtaining tips. The common tipper (not Gore) seems to "reward" the pianist for playing a request, but does not put the electronic player in the same category. I believe it is "assumed" that we are doing less, and that the keyboards are mostly the master.

One way around this thinking is the "fake" piano shell. I've played many places that did this, my friend at the shore carries his own, and Don Mason has seen the rewards at his newest venture. It sets the stage for a "piano bar" environment, and makes a great tip jar holder. Even if EVERYthing you play is electronic - if it has the LOOK of a piano, you'll make more money. It's a s simple as that.

People don't tip my electronic gear as much as they do a piano bar setting. Try it and see..... It's been the case 100% of the time. If there is a piano available - try to set your keyboard on top of it .... but leave room for the fishbowl !

#178388 - 07/23/02 02:40 PM Re: Tips' tips.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Having played piano bar gigs for quite a few years (both acoustic & electronic kb arranger with pseudo grand piano wrap with audience seated around the piano), I agree that this type setup brings the MOST tips.

With your customers (regulars) seated in close proximity at the same table (within inches) 'around' you, provides an intimate setting where they can feel like a participating cast member family, making requests,encouraging audience enthusiam (& participation), feeding the tip jar, and subsequently drawing even more fans.

The most important piece of advice I can offer to potential piano bar performers is to foster a tight relationship with the house staff. They have the potential to boost/kill the energy (enthusiam) of the room, affecting the amount of tips you receive. More importantly, pay lots of attention & show appreciation to your audience, acknowledging them (by name) when they come in. The stage patter you develop with your audience is just as important as the music you play. These things can make the difference between coming home with average or exceptional tips. Just my thoughts. - Scott

#178389 - 07/23/02 03:35 PM Re: Tips' tips.
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Nice tips from a few of the pro's on this forum ! It makes ya think !

dano

#178390 - 07/23/02 05:06 PM Re: Tips' tips.
Uncle Dave Offline

It's funny - there are people that always want to buy me drinks, but they NEVER drop a dime in the cup. Seems they only show appreciation with liquid refreshment. Weird, huh?

#178391 - 07/24/02 01:00 AM Re: Tips' tips.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That happens A LOT. Years ago I had a piano bar job where I worked out a deal with the club owner. I would order Screwdrivers and they would serve me OJ. I would get a dollar a drink kick-back. I'm sure it was probably illegal.
When I had my own club, I let 'em buy all they wanted, but the bartender left out the liquor.
DonM

#178392 - 07/24/02 05:40 AM Re: Tips' tips.
Uncle Dave Offline

I'm torn on that issue. Either way, you cheat somebody. I think I just let them buy me Diet soda more often than refuse the offer. That way everybody gets a fair shake. Sometimes I order a shot of Keluha for my coffee, and then after a sip ... I sneak in the kitchen and dump it out, and pour a new cup. I hate to see them waste money, but the bar needs to make a living too. Double sided coin? By now, most folks realize that I don't drink at work so it's not as much of an issue as it once was.
Strange behavior at night-time, huh?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online