SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178321 - 12/17/01 09:35 AM Recording questions
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi all,

I was just wondering, once you record your song into your computer using your favorite sound card, what kind of processing do you do afterwards ? Using maybe Wavelabs or Sound Forge ? (normalize for instance ? )
I'm just curious to know if there are couple of more steps i need to take prior to converting the wave into mp3.
Regards,

Claude

#178322 - 12/17/01 10:03 AM Re: Recording questions
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Claude,
as you know, after you record a track with your VA 7 usually there is very little work to do, because the sound is already perfect on his own
Anyway, since I tend to be picky, usually I apply a slight degree of equalization to some tracks, especially the rhytm track. Different instruments (and different kind of music) require different Eq; most recording programs offer some nice presets, and if you are not satisfied with the result you can always edit them and store your favorite settings.
The next step is to add some reverb to some tracks, or even to some instruments (studio wizards tend to use a different reverberation for the snare drum compared with the cymbals or the bass drum, but in our case that would be overkilling). Luckily my favourite recording program (Cool Edit Pro) has some very nice Eq and reverberation presets, whose quality, in my opinion, is more professional compared with programs like Sound Forge (I have no experience with Cakewalk Pro or Cubase, though).
The third step is the mixdown of all the tracks, and finally the normalization of the end result.
Good luck
Andrea

#178323 - 12/17/01 10:56 AM Re: Recording questions
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the feedback You're right, just after recording of the VA7, the sound is already nice but now I got some nice ideas on what to apply to my wave now!
All I did before was a simple normalization!
I'm going to try to add some reverb and equalize my drums a little more.
Thanks & Happy Holidays!
Claude
Enjoying the VA7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online