SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178018 - 09/09/07 09:16 AM Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

#178019 - 09/09/07 09:23 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Hey, I thought this was an Arranger "Keyboard" forum?

Mike

#178020 - 09/09/07 09:40 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

dont you play Spanish guitar on your arranger keyboard? Maybe people can get tips on technic from watching & listening to a real guitar player... why does every post or topic have to have controversy...is it that time of the month around here.

#178021 - 09/09/07 11:09 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
WOW what talent. I could only hope to make my keyboard sound that good. It is amazing, however, that the new SA voices make it more possible to re-create that sound. It still takes a lot of work to play these solo instruments ( guitar, trumpet, sop.sax, etc.) with the authentic feel of the original instrument. It seems few really accomplish it - at least what I've heard.

It is my opinion that one has to think like the player of the instrument to actuate the sound on the keyboard. One of my pet peeves is when a player plays every tone like a piano. You really need to work at making a sax (or whatever solo instrument) sound like a sax - and not like a sax played on a keyboard.

I would like to hear what some of our more seasoned players here on SZ can do with their keyboards in solo mode.

DNJ - thanks for the inspiration.
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#178022 - 09/09/07 11:10 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
They are a local group here in my neck of the woods, and I have seen them many times playing live.
Very high energy music.
It doesn't matter if young or old, everybody is either dancing or tapping their foot.
The CD's are good, but they don't have the high energy of their live play.
You should deffinately see them if they are in your neck of the woods.
Yes, and they do make you want to play the Spanish guitar on your KB.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 09-09-2007).]

#178023 - 09/09/07 11:21 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
One of my pet peeves is when a player plays every tone like a piano. You really need to work at making a sax (or whatever solo instrument) sound like a sax - and not like a sax played on a keyboard.

I would like to hear what some of our more seasoned players here on SZ can do with their keyboards in solo mode.

DNJ - thanks for the inspiration.
Tim

Tim exactly you hit it right on the nose, IT IS ESSENTIAL being playing an arranger KB is commanding many instruments together that YOU PLAY each sound as close to the real thing as possible. What your saying I see so many times also out there....each sound is played differently....a good way to learn is to listen to Philharmonic orchestras & close your eyes and try to distinguish which instruments you are hearing & their intricacies & nuances. Thats why all these SA voices etc etc mean nothing unless your learn HOW TO PLAY THEM CORRECTLY.

#178024 - 09/09/07 11:44 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Thats why all these SA voices etc etc mean nothing unless your learn HOW TO PLAY THEM CORRECTLY.

DNJ, yes, and also the REASON it's so stressed that one is not able to TOTALLY MASTER one's keyboard in merely a week, month, or even a year.

I'm among one of the very first synthzone members here to own a Yamaha Tyros2 (coming on 2 years now), yet I'm still discovering new features & mastering playing techniques to benefit the full potential of this keyboard. That said, despite certain naysayers here who have advised me otherwise, I make no apologies for expressing how much I continue to enjoy making music on this keyboard. - Scott

#178025 - 09/09/07 11:46 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Quote:
dont you play Spanish guitar on your arranger keyboard? Maybe people can get tips on technic from watching & listening to a real guitar player... why does every post or topic have to have controversy...is it that time of the month around here.

You are right on Donny. No doubt about it. To try and simulate a different instrument on a keyboard, you first need to understand how that instrument is actually played. I know that there will probably never be a keyboard that has the ability to duplicate the nuances of the acoustic instruments that we are trying to replicate, however regardless of a keyboards sound dynamics, it always falls to the musician to understand how to apply the proper techniques for playing the respective instrument they are trying to simulate.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#178026 - 09/09/07 11:57 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

Denis I hear ya,

There is so many different things to MULTITASK while playing & singing using an arranger KB its overwhelming to many.
Just playing is certainly Not Enough, & unfortunately mostly all you have to learn is yourself, Internet, and hopefully a few good musician friends, & years of practice.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-09-2007).]

#178027 - 09/09/07 01:03 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
DNJ, yes, and also the REASON it's so stressed that one is not able to TOTALLY MASTER one's keyboard in merely a week, month, or even a year.

I'm among one of the very first synthzone members here to own a Yamaha Tyros2 (coming on 2 years now), yet I'm still discovering new features & mastering playing techniques to benefit the full potential of this keyboard. That said, despite certain naysayers here who have advised me otherwise, I make no apologies for expressing how much I continue to enjoy making music on this keyboard. - Scott

You and I are on the same page - make NO apologies

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#178028 - 09/09/07 05:01 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
IT"S YANNI! IT'S YANNI!

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

#178029 - 09/10/07 08:59 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Enjoyable, but way more fluff than substance...great costumes, lighting, etc, but he is using a pick!

Kind of shows the meshing of entertainment and musicianship. Way more production/entertainment than great musicianship.

Still, I like it!

Russ

#178030 - 09/10/07 09:42 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Enjoyable, but way more fluff than substance...great costumes, lighting, etc, but he is using a pick!
Kind of shows the meshing of entertainment and musicianship. Way more production/entertainment than great musicianship.
Still, I like it!
Russ

Coming from the captain (and I don't mean Morgan ), I believe it ...
Is there some instruction manual that tells guys like this (Kenny G, Yanni, Benise) that if they grow their hair long and wave it around furiously while they play, any lack of substance will be overlooked ? ....
t.

#178031 - 09/10/07 09:46 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

I think he should try a chicken hat also

#178032 - 09/10/07 09:53 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny-GREAT ATTITUDE! Wear that hat with PRIDE, friend! Brenda Lee and Fabian would really approve. Not so sure about Jimmy Smith, though.

All the best!

Russ

#178033 - 09/10/07 09:57 AM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

You must mean when Fabian had hair?

#178034 - 09/10/07 12:46 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
... why does every post or topic have to have controversy...is it that time of the month around here.

Naughty, naughty. I can imagine that in certain quarters (such as everywhere in the world except S. Jersey....ok, and maybe South Philly) that would be considered just a tad sexist. "No big deal" you say. Really? Check with a few of your female aquaintances. See if they think it's funny.

chas

#178035 - 09/10/07 01:44 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
You must mean when Fabian had hair?

Did he lose it ?!?!? ... when I saw him last, a couple of years ago, he still had a head full !!! .... http://www.fabianforte.com/
t.

#178036 - 09/10/07 01:50 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
Dnj Offline

oh yeah thats real alright !

Just like thses dudes who all had big BomBaShullas!! Bobby Rydell, Paul Anka, &
Edd Byrnes (Kookie)

#178037 - 09/10/07 02:15 PM Re: Talkin' Spanish Guitar Playing..................?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
oh yeah thats real alright !

Why don't we ask an expert.

Fran? Yo, Fran.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online