SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177946 - 09/09/03 12:36 PM A quick Tyros question?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I use single registrations on my SD-1 to select complete front panel set-ups with styles and voice presets.

I believe the 8 registration buttons on the Tyros could do the same thing, I think, but is it only limited to 8?

#177947 - 09/09/03 12:50 PM Re: A quick Tyros question?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
No, because you can save a single bank, made of up to eight registrations, in the user memory. So, for example, you can program 8 different registrations for a song and save them under a name; then you can program another 8 registrations for another song and save them under a different name, and so on. The amount of registrations you can save is determined by the free memory you have left (in the beginning it's more than 3 Mb, but is shared with the styles as well). Anyway, even when you are out of memory, you can still save registrations on a floppy disk or on the (optional) hard disk, just like the SD1 does.

#177948 - 09/09/03 01:59 PM Re: A quick Tyros question?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
So let's say I have the song "Wonderful tonight"

I save the reg and name it the song, with this i will have 8 different set-ups i can save under that song, so it's actually a bit more than the SD-1 can save?

Thanks Dreamer

#177949 - 09/09/03 02:21 PM Re: A quick Tyros question?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
It goes further than that.
For instance...say you have a medley of tunes you want to do, you can program 8 registrations under one song name, and another 8 under another songs name and switch back and forth at will while playing.

Each style also has OTS which gives you the ability to use 4 more voice set up beyond the initial 8 in one registration.

And on top of that, with layered voices in the right hand, you can use the two together or select one of your choice for the lead.

The Tyros, 2000 and 2100 are VERY versatile in this regard.
Eddie

#177950 - 09/09/03 05:34 PM Re: A quick Tyros question?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Plus... according to the documentation, there is virtually no limit to the number of Registration banks one can have on the Tyros. (I guess your limited to hard disk space.)

This is the one feature that propelled me to buy the Tyros for performances. I can call up voice setups almost instantly!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#177951 - 09/09/03 11:26 PM Re: A quick Tyros question?
Dreamer Offline

Frank,
I would say that it's a LOT more than the SD1, because in the SD1 you can save only a registration at a time on the hard disk and so, to have more than one registration to play "Wonderful tonight", you should save them as "Wonder1" "Wonder2", etc; then, when you need to call them while you are playing, you should press a lot of buttons to access the hard disk, scroll through the registrations to call the right one...and you have to play or sing at the same time! With the Tyros you have eight registrations laid out before you: just press one button and you are set!
That's one big advantage of Yamaha over Ketron: ease of use, with a friendly and logic interface.

#177952 - 09/10/03 02:02 AM Re: A quick Tyros question?
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Andrea,

your inputs on Tyros are really interesting.

Now... if I am considering upgrading to Tyros (from my PSR9K), but still asking myself (not being a pro) if this is really a considerable upgrade worth the money (here in Milan it would take more or less Euro 800), provided that I'd rather have more keys to play on, whick brings me back to upgrading to the old 9Kpro.

Does anybody know if there is a Tyros "Pro" (ie. as many keys as the 9Kpro) coming out in the near future?

Thank for your help.

PS. I am still very happy with my AUDI A4, but I am plannig to change to as US brand (Chrysler Voyager).

Amelio

#177953 - 09/10/03 02:22 AM Re: A quick Tyros question?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Amelius:
Andrea,

your inputs on Tyros are really interesting.

Now... if I am considering upgrading to Tyros (from my PSR9K), but still asking myself (not being a pro) if this is really a considerable upgrade worth the money (here in Milan it would take more or less Euro 800), provided that I'd rather have more keys to play on, whick brings me back to upgrading to the old 9Kpro.

Does anybody know if there is a Tyros "Pro" (ie. as many keys as the 9Kpro) coming out in the near future?

Thank for your help.

PS. I am still very happy with my AUDI A4, but I am plannig to change to as US brand (Chrysler Voyager).

Amelio

Amelio,

There are no plans for a Tyros Pro with 76 keys, I've been told. What I do is use the Tyros sound engine with another 76 key keyboard or controller linked via midi. You can essentially "play" the Tyros from the other keyboard whilst still being able to use the registrations, voices selection, etc. Actually you end up with more than 88 keys (61 + 76). The only problem with this strategy is you cannot trigger the auto-accompanyment from another keyboard using the left hand via midi ( at least I have'nt figured it out)

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#177954 - 09/10/03 03:30 AM Re: A quick Tyros question?
Dreamer Offline

Amelio and Al,
this is a controversial issue, because I have been told that a Tyros pro could actually come out, maybe even at the Winter Namm or next year at Frankfurt; this Tyros pro would combine features from the Tyros and the Motif ES.

Al, the idea of triggering the Tyros from a 76 notes keyboard is very good (I was thinking to do the same with my 9000 pro); and actually I think that it's possibile to trigger the auto-accomp via midi: you just have to set the Triton note transmit channel for the left part (if you use it in split mode) on the same channel as the Tyros style chord receive channels (by default they are 12 and 13).

Amelio, I think that all in all the Tyros is well worth the upgrade from the PSR 9000 and the cost is much less than going from the Audi to the Voyager (by the way, are you sure you really want to do that??)

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 09-10-2003).]

#177955 - 09/10/03 04:02 AM Re: A quick Tyros question?
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Andrea,

thanks for your "counselling" on the Tyros... I will consider upgrading.

re. Audi vs Chrysler, I need more room than the A4 actually offers. Audi: defenetly great classy german cars, but if you need lots of room, then the Voyager ranks very high in the list, and still offers class and quality. Being honest, Americans scored one here in Europe with the Voyager...

Ciao

Amelio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online