SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177852 - 12/18/01 09:58 AM arranger video interface - remote readout?
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Question

Is the technology out there to have a video out from the arranger over to a flat panel monitor in front of another musician - and have the chords of a tune highlighted as they go by - like karaoke?

Are there ways (software) to write your own charts with chord symbols that can be stored in the hard drive and played back with the same method? Are the REAL books or parts of them available like that? - Sure would be nice to be able to edit them while on the arranger also.

My goal is for another musician to have something to refer to if he/she loses their place in a tune - besides discreetly asking me where we are. I think it might help them memorize songs also - giving them an opportunity to take their eyes off the chart a bit more with confidence - knowing they can look up anytime and find their place.

Mike H

#177853 - 12/18/01 07:49 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mike,
That's been around for several years now, The PSR9k has a video interface built in, the PA80 offers it as an option, and Roland makes a box that you can add on that supplies video out. A better solution is to use a laptop on a stand in front of you both. You get a bright, clear display - lots of info, lead sheets, chord charts, whatever.
There are also software SMF playback programs that blow the doors off anything inside a keyboard. The future is here, and it's affordable, and portable too !

#177854 - 12/18/01 11:04 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Mike H Offline

Dave

Thanks - guess I'll call up sweetwater or someone similar - do you have a preferred software program for writing charts that can be stored to the arranger with video out and song measure indicator?

Mike

#177855 - 12/19/01 04:45 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Uncle Dave Offline

Mike,
I never write in the keyboard, only on the pc. The kb is a playing tool for me, and the pc is my database when I need it. (30-40% of the time) I like PowerTrax pro for most sequencing, scoring and editing...and it's sooooo cheap ! $29 bucks. www.pgmusic.com

#177856 - 12/19/01 07:31 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Mike H Offline

U-Dave
I am considering the Sibelius software - it has primo notation ability as well as all the other stuff I think I want - it ain't cheap - even with educational discount it is 300$

MH

#177857 - 12/19/01 09:40 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Uncle Dave Offline

Sibelius is vey popular in the schools, and not too hard to use. If yoiu do alot of scoring - it's a great way to go. I only make lead sheets or chord charts...and even then - it's a rarity.

#177858 - 12/21/01 03:14 PM Re: arranger video interface - remote readout?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose I should chime in here since we've had this feature on our keyboards since 1992. Currently Generalmusic's SK 760/880 and WK6/8 offer this feature as will the upcoming Genesys. You can input the chord symbols to any sequenced song and then display either chord charts only or chords with melody score via the video out which syncs to the song playback, one page at a time.

Chris

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online