No doubt Tom, for the money it is a lot of keyboard. The synth engine and sequencer alone make it worthwile for me. Beaky raises some good points about the 740 too. I guess also if you like the vocalizer then it would surely be missed on the MZ. believe me Beaky, my 740 will not collect dust or be forgotten. I love the combination of having the 2 boards actually.
Those boards together along with the xg software are ideal for me and really expand my options for composition as opposed to just having one or the other. The MZ is a bit bigger and seems a bit heavier but if I were to do a show I would have no problem bringing both and using them in tandem, particularly on a free form jam. I would say on many songs the 740s accomps would be better for the type of music that I
like, but the mz has a few good ones as well, and offers more flexibility for altering them via the mixer and dsp settings. For playing leads I definitely prefer the action and sounds on the mz, and as I listen more closely the solo violins and strings are sounding better to me as well. For Jack, great reply, and although you are right when you say that neither is a s good as a high end arranger, combined I feel at least for my needs, in some ways the sum of the 2 boards is as good if not better.
I have also listened and compared my own midi files and commercial ones between both boards and would say that certain ones sound better on the 740 and others sound better on the mz.
Al M