SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177729 - 02/19/03 07:57 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Ketron, Technics.
WAKEY, WAKEY.
If you don't do it, someone else will.
Good old American know how and ingenuity. Way to go Eko.
Starkeeper

#177730 - 02/19/03 09:08 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Roel Offline

It seems everyone is thinking it is a arranger-keyboard ? ........... please wake up guys !!!

It's a 'virtual synthesizer' built with standard hardware and software
(PC, MAudio soundcard, Steinberg synth/sequencer etc.)

I would NEVER pre-order a machine like this, well perhaps because I'm a dutchie ?

Roel

#177731 - 02/19/03 11:49 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not ordering one just yet either, but there is no reason why the eKo could not be an arranger keyboard with the right software. It has the potential to be nearly any kind of keyboard you want. I'm looking down the road at what might take the place of my 9000 Pro in the future, and considering the experiences I and others have had with (non)support from Yamaha with the 9kPro and this "will there or won't there be a Tyros Pro?" debate, in addition to the faltering with new arrangers from most of the other manufacturers, I'm ready to go in a new direction altogether. I'm already checking out softsynths and soft-arranger programs that could work with the eKo. Nothing wrong with keeping an open eye and mind at least.

#177732 - 02/19/03 08:54 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
To add my $.02 into this converstion:

This may well work as an arranger, if eKo (or an adventurous user) is able to intergrate the arranger software with the sound engine - from the work of Frank Rosenthal, this looks like a doable task. However, what is also important is the ergonomics of the setup: for a live performance it is not enough to be able to navigate to the desired style using a touch screen or a pointing device - you have to have BUTTONS to make your selections. Providing a button surface and software which integrates it into the navigation scheme which may include a variety of audio, sequencing, and style-playing software components is a non-trivial exercise, and I don't know if it has ever been addressed in the PC environment (other than by Wersi).

I am not saying this is impossible, but considering what a small market segment we the arranger keyboard users make up, our needs will likely be put on the back burner.

Regards

#177733 - 02/20/03 02:19 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I think open architecture synths is a good trend irregardless of whether the eKo is a commercial success or not. Running a rock solid OS with known hardware such as the eKo is much easier than the desktop PC market where all sorts of unknown hardware and device drivers can be installed increasing the odds of problems arising. Whether Microsoft Windows is up to the task of running a realtime performance keyboard is something that time will tell. I don't personally have huge confidence in Microsoft software and OS even though I use it on a daily basis at work and home. This is probably the reason I have reserved feelings. I have seen all variations of Windows crash running nothing but Microsoft apps including Win 2000. But the hardware is now up to the job if the OS can support it. It is time we get to build up our own custom keyboard setups using software modules.

#177734 - 02/20/03 06:34 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

"To add my $.02 into this converstion:

This may well work as an arranger, if eKo (or an adventurous user) is able to intergrate the arranger software with the sound engine - from the work of Frank Rosenthal, this looks like a doable task. However, what is also important is the ergonomics of the setup: for a live performance it is not enough to be able to navigate to the desired style using a touch screen or a pointing device - you have to have BUTTONS to make your selections. Providing a button surface and software which integrates it into the navigation scheme which may include a variety of audio, sequencing, and style-playing software components is a non-trivial exercise, and I don't know if it has ever been addressed in the PC environment (other than by Wersi)."

I know everyone means well be you REALLY have to look closer at the eKo concept: the keyboard allows you to pick and choose the kind of button/slider/control interface(s) that you prefer. It's fully customizable. There are interchangeable control "modules" or drop-in boxes that give you not only the controls you prefer but where you prefer them. So the ergonomic issue is fully addressed. The right button-interface should be programmable to emulate the kind of intro/verse/chorus/ending functions we all use with multiple variations of each... but that needs to go hand-in-hand with the right arranger software that exists only in theory at the moment.

It's my own personal theory that someone could or should produce a small powered speaker module option to give the eKo the kind of built-in amplification that many arranger users like for those who don't need four control surface modules. That's the kind of innovation that Open Labs is trying to get third-party vendors to offer I believe.

#177735 - 02/20/03 07:34 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
What do you guys think of this program, would it work?
http://lotal.narod.ru/
http://www.live-styler.de/download.html

Peace,
MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

#177736 - 03/07/03 09:57 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
MusiKMan Offline

Guys, I sent an email to Open Labs Tech support... Here is a copy of it....

Dear tech Support,
First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for embarking in this new awsome avenue of music production Workstation...

Im a musician that is not so good at programming the keyboard etc. Thats why I would like to know if there is an Arranger Module for the Eko system.
There are so many musicians like me who are asking this same question and would love to hear from your company as to what are your plans if possible as to having an arranger module if one is not available.

Here is a link of where we usually meet to discuss about all the new keyboards etc..
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/005757.html

We had a discussion about your system not having an Arranger option at your website.

Many of us musicians have dreamed of this kind of system. Built in studio, effects, etc.. But we also love the Arranger option. Why? because it helps us make music fast and professionally instead of having to program the drums and all other backing tracks manually..

I personally right now, have the Korg I30 interactive Workstation. Its an Arranger Workstation, but thats it. It doesnt allow me to upgrade it at all.

Here is a link about this Workstation:
http://www.ralfschiller.de/sta/korgi30.htm

and here is the link to the Discussion forum as well..
http://disc.server.com/Indices/24426.html

As you can see, there are so many individuals like myself that are so interested in this keyboard, but cant decide because it doesnt seem to have an Arranger Module.

Please let me know if this is a possibility...I would love to hear from you guys..I believe that if you guys come up with an awsome programmable with different styles, arranger workstation, it will really crank up your sales.
Not only will you leave Korg, Yamaha, and Roland behind, you will take away many of their loyal customers. I for one, have been a Korg loyal customer. I have the Korg Trinity V3 fully loaded. Spent over 5,000 dollars on it, then I bought the Korg I30 and spent over 3000 dollars with it. and many other Korg Products.
I think if you guys can cater to the Arranger community, you guys will reap the rewards. Why, because all this companies like yamaha, Korg and Roland have forgotten about us. This is the chance for your company to take hold of that market share. Believe me guys, if you do, You guys will really rule, because many guys will become loyal customers and the word will spread so quickly on the net.
If possible im at work today until 5 pm Pacific time. I cant dial out long distance from work but if one of your reps can call me, I would love to hear from you guys...

May God continue to prosper and bless your awsome company...

best,

MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

#177737 - 03/07/03 12:49 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

Open Labs is not a software company - they make hardware only. There is no basis for "an arranger module" without arranger software... however you can have an "eKo arranger" today by taking an existing Windows arranger program like Jammer Live or One Man Band and program an existing eKo module to act as an arranger ie: start, verse, chorus, ending. The more important questin is: what VST(s) or softsynth will you assign the arranger to play?

Open Labs also has it's hand full developing their product to work with the vast and growing number of VSTs on the market without going after the arranger market just yet, which is a subset of the larger synth market.

Members of the development team of Open Labs participate in the Harmony Central Keys/Synths/Samplers forum. I've already suggested functions and possibilities that would apply to the arranger user, such as internal speaker modules.

Meanwhile, I am working on my own "mini-eKo", which is basically a laptop with an Echo Indigo low-latency audio card and an Oxygen 8 controller. I've ordered Steinberg's V-Stack program which allows you to play VST's without a sequencer program and is the same program that ships with the eKo. I intend test some of the arranger possibilites, such as running the Yamaha S-XYG50 softsynth from One Man Band. This should be an approximation of how the eKo would work as an arranger.

#177738 - 03/07/03 12:53 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
MusiKMan Offline

Man that is awsome... Yes please do fill is in more on how it goes. I would be very interested....

Also can you please give us the link to that forum you mentioned...

Peace,
MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online