SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177719 - 02/06/03 05:48 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
trtjazz Offline

Roel,
I am only mildly amused by the Eko too. I suppose I would have to see one in action. I thought the video really didn't show much at all. I kept waiting for the guy to really start demoing some sounds, arps, patches whatevers.

I'm with you....a good midi controller for $200.00 and a laptop would be about the same to me.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-06-2003).]

#177720 - 02/06/03 08:19 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Maybe I'm the only one who saw what OpenLabs was doing at NAMM: they weren't selling a finished keyboard, they were displaying a working prototype specifically to get interest from third-party vendors to see if they could snag some deals for incorporating softsynths and control panels designed for specific applications into their units when they finally ship. Word is they got plenty of interest. The apps that were displayed on the eKo were the ones OpenLabs bought out of pocket to demo the hardware, not to show off anyone else's sounds or apps.

Current specs on the prototype eKo was a 3Ghz processor, half a terrabyte HD (500MB) and a gig of RAM. Your laptop doesn't have that nor can it be upgraded to it... in fact, no keyboard currently made has that kind of processing and storage power. Even if you buy a controller and computer as suggested, you are still stuck with the kinds of controls that the keyboard manufacturer designated in places where they think you should have them. The control surface types and locations of the eKo are determined by the keyboard owner for the first time. Then you install the apps and sample libraries you want. The eKo would have far more hardware and software options available on it's first day of sales than all other keyboards combined, so the constant "why doesn't Yamaha add digital I/O's to their arrangers" or "why doesn't Roland include SCSI on their keyboards" debates won't apply to the eKo. Once you design the keyboard to fit your needs and work preferences and install the apps and components, it's ready for use on stage or in other studios with little setup time needed. Your controls will always be what you need and where you need them.

It's the potential of the eKo, not the stuff that was previewed, that is what has keyboardists talking about it. I'm not interested in buying an eKo today either because I don't need it yet and it isn't finished, but next year or the year after when it's refined I'll be very interested. I'll also bet that since the eKo is basically a keyboard with off-the-shelf computer components/OS that at NAMM 2004 we'll see eKo clones that weigh and cost less. The exploding softsynth market makes keyboards like the eKo inevitable.

#177721 - 02/06/03 08:22 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

Damn... before anyone jumps on my back about it - yes, I meant to say 500GB, not MB when refering to the half-terrabyte HD above.

#177722 - 02/06/03 08:57 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
trtjazz Offline

Pro,
I see your point but I think we were discussing the video and what it is now rather than what it MAY be.

I could possibly see myself with one too...once some "stuff" is in place and I can really see it's potential rather than speculate it.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-06-2003).]

#177723 - 02/06/03 09:05 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Roel Offline

MusiKman,
Remember you started this thread and put the URL in it ! What is 'cool' in it ?
It only showed the eKo playing without a power chord connected and an 'illegal operation' action on the screen IMHO.

Pro,
I wished eKo showed some features/sounds. The specs of the built-in PC, which are almost 'standard' nowadays, tell me nothing.
Native Instruments B4 Tonewheel (also a soft-synth) runs perfect on a P-III, 350 MHz with only 128 Mb of memory and a good soundcard.
Important things are :
Latency (not 'almost zero' but msecs), Signal to noise ratio, what kind of inputs/outputs (digital, optical, analog, MIDI I/O, Mic-inputs, phantom Y/N, balanced Y/N......)
Can hardware components be replaced/upgraded with standard devices ? (e.g. soundcarda)

Just compare the eKo with Wersi organs/keyboards that re-introduced this idea a few years ago.
The latest Wersi-machines run WIN98 with only 768 Mb of RAM and a 40 Gb HDD and have a 'normal' user interface like real drawbars. The processor probably is a P-III ?

What I would like :
An eKo configuration in the Wersi housing .... for the eKo prices.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 02-07-2003).]

#177724 - 02/18/03 12:57 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Roel Offline

More news or demo's ?

Roel

#177725 - 02/18/03 02:17 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

The OpenLabs website has been updated a little: http://www.openlabs.com/

Look for more news at or after Music Messe in Germany mid-March.

Also, check out Steinberg's V-Stack program for using VST instruments without a sequencer. Could be what gets the eKo rolling:
http://www.stenberg.net/

#177726 - 02/18/03 02:30 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Oh sure...but can it make coffee?

#177727 - 02/18/03 06:43 PM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

...'bout as well as any other keyboard...

#177728 - 02/19/03 07:17 AM Re: This Synth stole the show on Namm's First day, see the video you wont believe it...
The Pro Offline

EkO NEWS! The eKo keyboards have gone on sale on the Open Labs website. They are taking preliminary orders for 61 and 75 notes versions ranging from $1995 to over $6000 plus options and accessories. The official launch of the eKo is March 5. Here's the press release:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/eKo-Pre-Order.html

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online