SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177657 - 10/28/03 12:05 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Steve,
I'm surprised that they are active. I've owned both the 540 and 550, and I along with numerous other keyboardists (friends of mine) who played both models all felt that they were for show.. I've even covered up the main part of the speaker and placed my ear flat against the tweeter and heard no sound from either model.. It just sounds like I covered up the main and only functioning speakers.... If they are working, to date I have not heard anything from them.. I even tested them in stores.. Even had store salemen saying they too thought there were just for show because they couldn't hear any sound from them..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#177658 - 10/29/03 05:52 AM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Hi Squeak

Here's a possible reason for you thinking the tweeter doesn't work. This applies to the 740 but is probably the same on the 550. The fundamental frequency of the highest note on the keyboard is 2088Hz (for the piano at any rate). The crossover frequency for the speakers is 6000Hz which is well above the fundamental. So you'll only hear harmonics of the highest note from the third upwards from the tweeter. If the sounds aren't particularly rich in harmonics, you won't hear anything. Middle C is 261Hz so you'll be trying to hear the 23rd harmonic. Incidentally, I can hear the tweeters on the 740 quite plainly but only barely on middle C. Much more plainly on top C.

Bryan

#177659 - 10/29/03 06:42 AM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
squeak_D Offline

I see what you're saying Bryan. I've played the 740 and I think the tweeters in that model were great. I've actually placed my ears flat against the tweeters of my 550, and covered up the main speakers.. I even did this with the 540, and could not hear anything from them. I even covered up the tweeters and auditioned many voices and still heard no difference in sound. If they actually work, they really don't seem to server much of a purpose if any at all..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#177660 - 10/29/03 01:00 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Squeak,

At the risk of repeating myself, let me repeat myself: I have the luxury of being able to compare the same sample on 2 keyboards, 1 with that (exact) tweeter and 1 without. VERY noticeable difference, particularly on the harmonics of piano bass notes.
The only way you're going to know what the difference is, is to take those tweeters out. I don't recommend it. With out those tweeters everything is dull and lifeless by comparison. They don't do anything until above 6K and the woofers on that design are still working well above 6K. The tweeters dont really come into play until about 10-12k. You wont prove anything by covering the woofer or putting your ear up to the tweeter.
Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#177661 - 10/29/03 01:57 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
squeak_D Offline

Steve,
Thanks for explaining this.... I guess I really got used to the tweeters on my old MZ-2000 (boy those were great!) What you're saying makes sense where depending on the voice and so forth on how the tweeters respond. Well my 550 is out of warranty, and I'm good at taking things apart and putting them back together.... Maybe I'll take a look in that baby Oh Steve..., how common are the disk drives in the PSR's that use direct disk recording? If my drive fails can I replace it with a standard floppy drive or does Yamaha use something different as far as the connections are concerned???

Squeak

#177662 - 10/29/03 09:09 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
mikerr765 Offline

Steve,
I started this post and just bought a psr 550 today. I think it is a great keyboard for the $$ and
Since we are so lucky to have you available to answer some questions i would like to ask
What is the best way to get this 550 to sound good through an amp being it only has a headphone output? Help
Mike

#177663 - 10/30/03 06:59 AM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
squeak_D Offline

There's not much you can do on the 550's end. It mostly will depend on the amp you use. Regardless of which amp you're using you're hear some noise. It's not so bad that it drives you crazy... You'll mostly notice it if you use the 550 to record to say a digital multi-track recorder. I do agree with you in that the 550 is a great keyboard for the money It amazes me that they packed so many features and good sound quality into an affordable instrument. My beef with the tweeters has been cleared up thanks to Steve. I was used to other models I owned that had quite responsive tweeters.

Squeak

#177664 - 10/30/03 01:23 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikerr765:
Steve,
I started this post and just bought a psr 550 today. I think it is a great keyboard for the $$ and
Since we are so lucky to have you available to answer some questions i would like to ask
What is the best way to get this 550 to sound good through an amp being it only has a headphone output? Help
Mike

Mikerr,
The most important thing is to start with a good amplification system. Your first decision is; how much power do you need. Make sure is has a decent EQ at least and go stereo if you can, it makes a huge difference. I know you have budget limitations but don't sell yourself short by getting an amp that doesn't sound good with your keyboard. That is very frustrating. Congratulations on your new keyboard!

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#177665 - 10/30/03 02:59 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would advise getting the little Yamaha MST speakers from buy.com for $40. after rebate.
No e.q., but they sound great.
DonM

#177666 - 10/30/03 08:54 PM Re: PSR 550 Equal or similar model???
mikerr765 Offline

Don
I went to buy.com and did not see them, so you have a direct link??
Also do they have power or how would just speakers work pluged into the headphone jack???
Are they that much better than the stock psr550's??

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online