SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#177522 - 10/13/07 07:33 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Makes you wonder why they even waste the money on these features that most NEVER use or will ever know how to use in an arranger instead of adding what people want as described in some of the wish list topics & posts here on SZ like quality build, keybed, chord sequencers, etc etc ....

As I said on another thread...

"ALL brands of arrangers suffer from having features that aren't used by the average buyer.

I have addressed this issue with Yamaha many times, but I am only a very small spoke in a VERY big wheel.

All manufactures use these "features" as a marketing ploy...people then feel they are getting a lot for their money, even though they'll never use them."

Ian

#177523 - 10/13/07 07:37 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Dnj Offline

Ian just keep addressing them.....we dont want what we have now to tank like Technics did a few years ago leaving dedicated loving players holding the bag.

#177524 - 10/13/07 09:18 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Lionstracs
Studios have been doing this for years.
Home players however (The Target market for Arranger manufactures) want something that they can just switch on and play, and if they wish to add other things, (Such as VSTs) a simple way to load and play them with minimal technical knowledge and effort. (Professionals who use arrangers live also want something that they can easily setup to suit the audience at the time)
Remember keyboards are designed for music players, not technology experts. (How do you explain to the layman that although you can load 100 or so VSTs, you can only use 3 or 4 high quality ones at the same time before the CPU/Ram gets overloaded)
Golden Rule
Music First, Technology Second

Bill

Hi Bill
I know well too that is possible loading many Vst's in the studios and from some years.
I was only SHOWN that now under Linux is possible loading Unlimited Hosting ASIO clients application and NOT Vst's only.

I have here windows Xp too, BUT when i start to loading the first ASIO application then I'm not able to open another and use it in the same time, because the audio card is already take from the first application.

Try yourself to open Reaper under ASIO, then open cubase SX, Kotakt stand alone asio version and so on, then let me know if you can use all together.

This feature we need because we will use some Vst/hosting under background system, like:
-Kontakt ASIO for the second background Sampler
- Vst hosting ASIO Voice machine/harmonize
- Vst hosting ASIO Voice Vocalist
-2-3 VstHost ASIO for open more Vst effects/revebs/delay

If all this where under Vst mode, only ONE application like reaper-cubase can drive and then we are NOT able to use it for other realtime and backend application.

Just look the all Openlabs video, they have the same problems:
OR they can open Reaper and then with the keyboard play the sounds under the Vst tracks
OR they can open the Karsym sound manager for multiple sounds realtime players.

IF they will open both togheter, the keyboard can not working with the Karsym sound manager or reverse.
This is NOT a openlabs problems is a Windows limitation.

Under Linux now is more simple than windows, just one click and the ASIO host is open, Jack connection where you like and all is done. Need less than 5 seconds.
Linux Jack connection kit is like one Printer server, where 1-10-100-1000... PC and ASIO applications, can print ( here mean Print Audio and Midi data) in the same Printer ( audio card)
Understand the concept?

IF then you don't care to use a lot of Vst, this is another argument, BUT under linux need only one click and connect audio-midi to the desidered device, game made.
We can also simple run any desidered Vst, ASIO applicaton under the desidered Mediastation hardware buttom that you feel like one embedded system.
More simple like that, I really dont know what the Linux developer can do.
Cheers

#177525 - 10/13/07 09:48 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

As I said on another thread...

"ALL brands of arrangers suffer from having features that aren't used by the average buyer.

This is a somewhat cynical view of the arranger as an instrument though... Let's get rid of all those features that the 'average' home user doesn't use.

Might as well start with those pesky black notes, too, as I am sure most of those 'quit when they were nine' wannabe's mostly play in C... Think of the money the arranger manufacturers could save (and the complication for the user!), and of course, how much lighter it could be

The perfect arranger.... for morons!

#177526 - 10/13/07 10:00 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
This is a somewhat cynical view of the arranger as an instrument though...

Not cynical, Diki, just an honest evaluation after many years of clinics.

Ian

#177527 - 10/13/07 10:01 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Actually, I believe that the average buyer has all they want from these arrangers. They have fast, easy music creation...withot or without lots of
(or ANY) musical training.
I keep reminding myself that as a pro, I am in the minute mirority of arranger users that perfrom on stage, worldwide. I'm sure most of these units sit home.

Bottom line - As long as they make something that enables me to entertain a crowd....I'm open to suggestions !

#177528 - 10/13/07 10:04 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I play in C, lol.
I also use some black keys occasionally.

#177529 - 10/13/07 10:09 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Actually, I believe that the average buyer has all they want from these arrangers. They have fast, easy music creation...withot or without lots of
(or ANY) musical training.
!

That's all most buyers want, Dave, but the pro manages to take it several steps further and makes the most of features that are lost on the average owner.

Personally I'm glad they keep adding features...just as long as they don't replace or drop the ones that are very useful...like Diki's chord sequencer, or dedicated panel buttons for most often used functions.

Ian

#177530 - 10/13/07 10:11 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
More simple like that, I really dont know what the Linux developer can do.
Cheers

And therein lies the problem... Perhaps a Linux engineer CAN'T make it any simpler, but a MUSIC engineer would know it has to be...

He would know his market, and realize that most of these people (musicians) haven't got a clue about print servers, yet alone most of the technobabble that instruments like this make you confront. The reason that arrangers are wildly popular is that they DON'T make you confront the nuts and bolts of the instrument's design. You turn it on, you press Bossa Nova 1, hit the OTS button and play - and the instrument sounds the best it CAN sound. NOT after you have loaded up the (hopefully) compatible VST instrument of your choice and jacked this into that, opened two incompatible sound players together, wired the effect sends from one VSTi into the inputs of another VST reverb and software routed the outputs of that back into a control matrix so you can control reverb depth with an onboard slider... (I'm exhausted just thinking that up!)

Of all the things to tie complexity of that degree to... an arranger?!! It's kind of like getting Bugatti to design a dump-truck.

It's like watching a traffic accident... Guys like Ian (who demo and sell arrangers) are going 'take all the complicated stuff off', and guys like Domenik (who build them) going 'look at all the complicated stuff I've put on'!

And all the rest of going 'we want all the good stuff... just make it moronically easy to use'.

I guess NOONE wins...

#177531 - 10/13/07 10:21 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Guys like Ian (who demo and sell arrangers) are going 'take all the complicated stuff off', and guys like Domenik (who build them) going 'look at all the complicated stuff I've put on'!

And all the rest of going 'we want all the good stuff... just make it moronically easy to use'.

I guess NOONE wins...

You know what's crazy...the majority of arranger buyers don't even know what MIDI is...and that's been around for decades.

Make an arranger look the slightest bit too complicated, and most potential buyers will walk.

Ian

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online