SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#177512 - 10/12/07 10:07 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Dnj Offline

Just remember a s us dinosaurs fade away little by little each year so does OUR music ....with the ever increasing technology & baby boomer of today "our generation will wilt and be overtaken very briskly by today's youth & music which will dictate what happens 10/20/30 years from now...its already happening in all aspects of music....ever watch a Philharmonic Orchestra of today? Hmmmmmmmmm? 90% Asian musicians, why? because they are the only ones studying at conservatories vs the Hip Hop rap generation who is in a totally different direction musically....DJ's rule the roost in most private affairs, weddings, corporate, clubs, etc etc ....so you see the trend before your eyes.......that said we can always still enjoy ourselves in our bedrooms playing what WE want with our instruments no one can take that away from us.......or if you are luck enough to make a full time living playing music somehow finding YOUR Little niche somewhere in society.....but look around you things are changing fast EVERYWHERE music included.......computers are at the wheel like it or not...its just that we will be the last generation from BOTH non computer & computer worlds......enjoy your memories, make them last with everything you do in life....what happens in the future you cannot foresee or change.....
Live For The Moment!

Now wheres my "Meet The Beatles Album?"

#177513 - 10/12/07 02:12 PM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
....DJ's rule the roost in most private affairs, weddings, corporate, clubs, etc etc ....

so you see the trend before your eyes............computers are at the wheel like it or not...

Donny, I think "private affairs, weddings, corporate, clubs, etc" are only a small part of the music world and will NOT determine the direction of music in the future. One of the reasons that jazz and classical music endures from generation to generation is that it is played by real musicians on real instrument.

Although the economy will force club owners to scale back the entertainment budget (opening the door for good OMB's.....but also DJ's), the largest and most upscale of these venues will continue to have live bands.

I also don't agree with you (we can agree to disagree ) that we (whoever "we" are) are no longer producing young, trained, musicians. If the Asians in your Philharmonic reference happen to be Asian-Americans (which I'm guessing most are), do they count ("THEY (huh) are the only ones studying at the conservatories")?

If we backtrack, say, from MP3's to SMF's to Arranger styles to programmed arpeggios, etc., what we see is that the real creativity, the enduring music, comes from the flexibility of being able to manipulate the most basic elements of music.

We need to differentiate between the future of technology and the future of MUSIC. JMO.

Chas

#177514 - 10/12/07 04:55 PM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Chas... what I envision as to the future of arrangers, all of that is background technology. In other words, you don't change one iota what you are playing now... chords in the LH, comps and solos in the right. But what I see already starting to happen with software libraries like VSL (rule based sample switching), I can see happening to arranger's chord recognition and variation choice.

All that extra stuff goes on in the background, well away from the player's consciousness, just like what is happening with chord variations now. It will hopefully just be a LOT more sophisticated than it is now, with regard to chord analysis and variation generation.

I am looking for MUSICAL improvements in arrangers, not SONIC ones.

Half time and double time buttons... Intelligent 'swing' options, to swing 'straight' styles and vice versa.... There are many things we could all use on a day to day basis that are not yet available. The return (of course!) of the Chord Sequencer, with even more interactive options... Live audio 'loopers' for recording vocal backups or acoustic performances to be integrated with the arranger.

I don't believe the bottom of the barrel has even been reached, yet alone scraped!

#177515 - 10/12/07 07:33 PM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i'm not sure what i will use in 10 years.... but i have a pretty good idea of what I might be using in 20 years:..............DEPENDS, FIXODENT, AND A HEARING AID. ....of course, that's being optimistic.

#177516 - 10/13/07 02:59 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Some new updates..
Now we can open Unlimited ASIO clients:

and here the shot of the 10 VstHost opened: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/gui2007/10vsthost.jpg

Of course after this 10 VstHost are opened, we can also play in background the new Reaper 2.0: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/gui2007/reaper2.jpg
And play also with the B4 II Stand alone mode under another ASIO clients: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/gui2007/B4asio.jpg

Are you able there under windows make this?
cheers

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 10-13-2007).]

#177517 - 10/13/07 03:45 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

I wonder if *true* musicality rules - or technology rules!

Jørgen

#177518 - 10/13/07 04:34 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Lionstracs
Studios have been doing this for years.
Home players however (The Target market for Arranger manufactures) want something that they can just switch on and play, and if they wish to add other things, (Such as VSTs) a simple way to load and play them with minimal technical knowledge and effort. (Professionals who use arrangers live also want something that they can easily setup to suit the audience at the time)
Remember keyboards are designed for music players, not technology experts. (How do you explain to the layman that although you can load 100 or so VSTs, you can only use 3 or 4 high quality ones at the same time before the CPU/Ram gets overloaded)
Golden Rule
Music First, Technology Second

Bill

#177519 - 10/13/07 05:20 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill, you and I are saying many of the same things, you perhaps better. One thing the members here simply will not acknowledge, is that this board is probably not representative of the TOTAL arranger market in terms of home player vs. working pro. If you profiled the average arranger player (in America), you would probably find a middle-aged, middle class guy that quit taking music lessons when he was nine and can now afford to buy his way into giving the appearance of being a competent (even amazing) musician without going through the agony of actually learning how to play. A surefire way of being the hit of the party (man, that's one long run-on sentence).

Further, he has not fully figured out all the options on his car's nav unit and still can't program the VCR. He's figured out his cell phone but only after his son or daughter has set it up for him. Fat fingers has severely limited his ability to text message. He has to read the manual twice each time he has to reset his clock radio.

To this guy, that screenshot of the Mediastation with 10 VST's open will look like the schematics of the space shuttle. Nothing wrong with technology but as Diki noted, it will have to be implemented in the background with the same kind of one-button-push simplicity that exists today. That is why, despite their technological superiority, units like the Mediastation will probably always have a limited market and trail the big three who have been successful by embracing the KISS principle for this particular market.

Music rules, technology assists.

chas

#177520 - 10/13/07 05:45 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas and Bill,

You guys are spot on!

After almost 20 years of follow-up arranger clinics, both in home and in store, I have learned that the majority of arranger buyers are as you describe.

Most never learn how to make a style, or edit voices...most of my efforts were concentrated on teaching them how to use the on-board recorder, registration memory, or, as of late, how to make an MP3 from the audio to USB recorder.

A lot of correspondence I get is for more styles, not new sounds or samples...they seem quite satisfied with the on-board sounds.

A very small, and I mean VERY SMALL, number of home arranger users would ever get involved with VST as they are now.

They are too complicated for the average arranger user.

In my experience, playing rather than programming seems to be most important to the vast majority of arranger owners.

Good posts, guys.

Ian

#177521 - 10/13/07 06:41 AM Re: What will we be using in ten years?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Most never learn how to make a style, or edit voices...most of my efforts were concentrated on teaching them how to use the on-board recorder, registration memory, or, as of late, how to make an MP3 from the audio to USB recorder.

Ian

Makes you wonder why they even waste the money on these features that most NEVER use or will ever know how to use in an arranger instead of adding what people want as described in some of the wish list topics & posts here on SZ like quality build, keybed, chord sequencers, etc etc ....

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online