SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177383 - 06/12/07 12:30 PM How many here are NOT OMB's?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
We get a lot of miscommunication here at SZ when the OMBs come up against players that don't use their arrangers as strictly OMB tools. Weight, for instance, is not such an issue if there are more than one of you, different aspects of arranger usage become more/less important, depending on what other instruments you play with, in fact, some use arrangers simply for the more practical sound-set and easier navigation than most workstations, etc., etc..

So it would be interesting to see who fall into what category... Would you mind posting if you are either a solo, or what format you use your arranger in (multiple answers of course if you play in more than one situation!)?

I'd especially like to hear from people that use arrangers in a non-arranger role - studio, full bands, drums only, etc.. What different viewpoints do you bring to arranger usage and needs?

#177384 - 06/12/07 01:13 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i am not ONLY a OMB, but play with my praise and worship team in the church as pianist or guitar player (that is actually more often than pianist).

when playing along with some more people, i often would like to have weighted keys on my keyboard. for piano lines, definitely i'd like to have it. but then, when i play by myself, i think i prefer sytnh action better.
at times, i use the keyboard for drums sounds. i play the drums manually on the keys, and then for sure i'd hate having to use weighted keys.
and yes, basically, i can play the same or even better using the arranger instead of old roland xp60 workstation.

i also use my keyboard as a midi input for my computer, when working in the studio projects. i am happy with it the way it is, because i know some more controlers (faders and assignable buttons) are hard to ask for in a arranger.

#177385 - 06/12/07 02:09 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
zuki Offline

SOLO performer - arranger keyboardist and vocalist.

Use NO midi files, mp3 or CD's. Strictly arranger playing all the way, which works perfectly well for me.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#177386 - 06/12/07 02:49 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
i use my Pa1x for song composition, for remixing and live with full or partial accompaniment with choirs or small groups,i also use it in straight keyboard mode for worship and praise in church. I too sometimes play the drums on the keyboard manually when we have no drummer, play the bass when there is no bassist or whatever is required.

Have never used the instruement a a one man band entertainer but am open to the prospect !

#177387 - 06/12/07 02:59 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, Diki. Three or so jobs a week are arranger only. At least one house job a week pays well enough to add a drummer and bass player. Since the arranger is there, I use it for lead liners and piano. I have an XB-2 there, so I use it for organ and left-handed bass (duo nights).

Occasionally, on very quick, low budget film work (usually training films), I'll write a score and use the arranger with 4 outs directly into the board.

Whatever works...

R.

#177388 - 06/12/07 03:01 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Another SOLO player here... only use styles and control all chord changes / fills etc in real time in arranger mode. no midi file or MP3 file playback at all.

#177389 - 06/12/07 04:17 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
Dnj Offline

That underlying sense of purism is evolving in this thread, But Does anyone feel by using Only styles with an Arranger make it any different then using SMF or Mp3 or any other kind of backing tracks to create accompaniment for their music or vocals make any difference?

#177390 - 06/12/07 04:24 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The strength of today's arranger keyboards, allow it to wear many hats..I am just as comfortable playing left hand bass, right hand piano and "color" sounds like organ, sax etc..

Today's' arrangers can also cover song writing too, and is just as able as any workstation[at least top of the line arrangers]..

I am not so foolish as to turn[shun] away from using SMF's , and/or MP3's...there are some venues you will never cover any other way...believe me...

The versatility of an arranger is so complete, I could never understand hard nose players avoided them like the plaque...but it is there loss and our gain..

#177391 - 06/12/07 05:43 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
yep, gotta agree with fran... and dnj, in reply to your question, imo, i dont reckon it should make any difference, as fran says, use whatever
is necessary, have no "hard and fast" rules...about anything!!...if a person doesn't take the moral high ground, they can't fall off the cliff!!!
dennis

#177392 - 06/12/07 06:08 PM Re: How many here are NOT OMB's?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
That underlying sense of purism is evolving in this thread, But Does anyone feel by using Only styles with an Arranger make it any different then using SMF or Mp3 or any other kind of backing tracks to create accompaniment for their music or vocals make any difference?

Perhaps they were only explaining how they use their boards? ...

Personally, I use all the tools available ...

t.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online