SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#177248 - 10/17/04 02:49 PM Re: Piano Course's
Quasar Offline

This one's pretty comprehensive, but it's free, and looks like it has a lot of practical advice to offer:
http://www.sinerj.org/~loyer/PianoBook/

[This message has been edited by Quasar (edited 10-17-2004).]

#177249 - 10/17/04 10:47 PM Re: Piano Course's
Smurf Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello Folks,
I want to thank everyone for replying to my question, and Dnj, Bernie9, ChuckH and Quasar for the links (Quasar that link you gave is WAY over my head, but I will try to wrap my little 'ol mind around it!) All these links have had something of interest to me, and I am sure that they will help me in my practice time. Again, Thanks Everyone, this place is great! Smurf

#177250 - 10/18/04 01:46 AM Re: Piano Course's
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
have a look at this web site www.gospelkeyboard.com

Order the DVD by Jamal Hartwell. It is an instructional DVD on playing contemporay black Gospel music using common Jazz styled licks and chord progressions. It is simply incredible and there is a cam positioned over the players hands so that as he explains note by note what he is doing you can see the actual positioning of his hands and see his fingering. Have a look . Hope it helps

------------------

#177251 - 10/18/04 03:27 AM Re: Piano Course's
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think it should be pointed out that there is more than on way to play a piano. From a purist point of view,one should read from two staves and four parts.I took lessons for six months and attempted to learn that style. It didn't work.Wheras, I can read four lines rather slowly,my left hand doesn't want to move in that fashion after forty years playing chords.I play gospel style piano with chords.
If you want to play classical music,obviously,this won't cut it,but,at least I can now play some piano in church e.g.,except to a choir that has to hear their part.

The other thing is that I think it is very important to be able to at least learn the bass clef,and some theory. Even though I can't play up to speed reading four lines,I can tell what the composer wants to do and what inversion of chords to use.

Bernie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online