SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177152 - 01/12/02 07:02 AM * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Just a "word to the wise" -
Better have a plan "B" ( AND C )if you are depentent of computers or sequencers for your show. My lap top just died on me, and it reminded me to nevr get TOO comfy with it. I have backup plans for my backup plans ........ the best, of course is to PLAY live. (my first priority).
It was weird how it died - no warning , no clues, no nothing ! So, that night I concentrated on what I can do with just MY hands, and you know the rest ......... of course it was just fine. In some ways it was better. Sequences, and specialty trax have their place in my shows, but they will never be the feature. I got a small nudge that night that said:
"You got the power, baby" - Use it !

(I know this all goes without saying, but some newer performers might be relying too much on sequences, or mini disks, and wouldn't know what to do with out them. I'm tellin' ya - better plan for a letdown when you rely on electronic gear !)

I used my new Taylor last night (for a whole set) and the house went nuts - it was like a mini "Folk Festival" - - Cat Stevens, Don McLean, CSN&Y, Beatles - what a gas.

#177153 - 01/12/02 10:10 AM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
Dnj Offline

Dave,

I really enjoyed your Acustic set last night. The Taylor guitar sounded awesome! I got chills listening to some of those old songs, Beatles, Cat Stevens, Chicago etc. It was a refreshing change for me and the crowd who judging by the applause enjoyed it very much also.

Thanx for the entertainment!!

Donny NJ

PS "GO EAGLES!!!"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-12-2002).]

#177154 - 01/12/02 03:40 PM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

At this time - it's 17 - 9 EAGLES !
( at the start of the 2nd half !!! )
I wish a chill would blow through here! Those Florida boys don't play well in the cold !

#177155 - 01/13/02 12:38 PM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Plan B for me = I copied a selection of drum beats of sufficient duration to allow me exhaust the dancers/Audiences and I put em on Mini disk. So far I never had to use it. I suspect that Murphys law will apply IE I will forget disk on the night that x1 dies temporarily for sufficient time to render plan B necessary.I never use midi files or sequences. I would play the seperate piano and midi disk of drums if x1 died. So there you are PS I forgot I done the Plan B bit for six months or so last year!!!!!!!! good job X1 stayed firing on most plugs all the time. Pierce Best wishes DAve

#177156 - 01/13/02 12:43 PM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

smart move. I've had the MD's as a backup for YEARS now. In a pinch, I can always just pound out the piano parts and make 'em sing a long, but I hate that style of entertainment. It distracts me when the drunks start howling. Happened just last night - I turned down a hundred dollar bet from a guy that wanted to sing real bad. Trouble was - he sang REEEEEAL Bad.
I don't need money that bad. He won'rt even remember where he was today.
God I hate drunks.

#177157 - 01/13/02 12:49 PM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
Uncle Dave Offline

I'm expecting a reply telling me that I would have "won" by taking the guys money and letting him make a fool of himself, but I don't see it that way. There are times when giving the control of the moment away can be more harmful than playful, and last night - I felt that he needed to be supressed, not encouraged.

From what I was told, he's a good customer, and was just out of hand. From where I stood - he was just a drunk who had no control of his manners or self respect, and I don't get paid enough to baby-sit that kind of patron. I was polite, and I didn't embarass him ( he did that by himself) but I was NOT about to encourage his pitiful behavior for my own gain.
Just thought I'd save you the trouble of the reply .... whoever.
Sometimes, I just look at my clients and wonder ........ "What the Hell am I doing here????"
Last night was just such a wonder. I'm a musician, not a zoo-keeper.

#177158 - 01/13/02 01:08 PM Re: * * Overstating the painfully obvious ! * *
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
Sometimes I wonder Do I sing and play to be liked or do I like to sing and Play. I have a big problem with messy drunks too and I of all people should understand ??? them as I am Recovering for past 24 years. A friend used to say that sometimes he looks at a light bulb and thinks of his family --I usually manage to get a good night though. I expect we all do PS I got my six string Banjo --its great made by Clareen banjos in Galway. Best wishes Pierce

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online