SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177002 - 08/21/05 09:59 PM Eliminating echo and reverb in a hall
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi,

Im going to have to perform next week in a heavily reverberating and echoing hall about 100 sq metres in size. My gear consists of: PSR-2100, Shure SM58 Mic, studiomaster power amp, Studiomaster powered mixer, 2 P.Audio Speakers with 15" Bass drivers.
I wanted to know what to do to eliminate the reverb in the hall. I have performed there before too and with all FX turned down, the reverberation is too heavy and I just can't sound proper. The hall has windows and is on the ground floor overlooking a tennis court. Could you suggest something. Thanks a lot

Lots of love
Sunny

#177003 - 08/21/05 10:15 PM Re: Eliminating echo and reverb in a hall
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

There is no electronic device that can be used by a performer to counteract ambient reverb. If you are able to modify the room you can try opening the windows, laying down carpet or hanging curtains. All of these will serve to deaden the room. A more effective use of your time might be to see if the gig can be moved someplace else.

#177004 - 08/21/05 10:28 PM Re: Eliminating echo and reverb in a hall
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi,

Thanx for the input, but unfortunately the Venue just can't be changed at all. But your other ideas could perhaps be thought of.

Thanx a lot
SUNNY

#177005 - 08/22/05 01:20 PM Re: Eliminating echo and reverb in a hall
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sunny,
You might be able to "adjust" the room acoustics by the direction that the system faces. Try useing the speakers facing YOU, and let the bounce go out into the room. If it's as "live" as you say ... maybe the reflected sound will be just plenty to fill the room, and you'll be in the best place to hear it BEFORE the signal gets revererated too much. Hmmmm??? Worth a try?

#177006 - 08/22/05 03:09 PM Re: Eliminating echo and reverb in a hall
The Insider Offline

Loc: Buckinghamshire,England
The only other option is to play and perform completely dry, allowing the room to be the ambience, or alternatively, use very short echo (100-150 ms delay times) and extremely short reverb settings, unless you can run to the expense of a room-sampling algoritm and 2 seperate stereo systems out of phase with each other or delayed by the length of the room to cancel out the reflections (a common practise in stadium setups)!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online