SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176958 - 08/24/07 05:07 AM Backing tracks
Stein67 Offline

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I've posted and now I'm back looking more advice....typical!!

Anyway, myself and 5 friends have been talking about getting our old 6 piece live band back together again. Unfortunately, for the time being at least, the chances of this happening are slim so 3 of us have decided to form a "3 piece".

2 of the guys have experience of playing together in a 2 piece and have experience of using "backing tracks" via a mini disc player.

With the 3 piece now we will have to, unfortunately, go down the route of using some pre recorded backing (although the guitar and keyboard will still be live).

The guys that have played with backing tracks before have been saying the minidisc is the best to use, but do any of you guys have any alternatives that may be better? I'm thinking maybe a laptop but would be worried of glitches etc..,

Thanks for any help.

#176959 - 08/24/07 06:19 AM Re: Backing tracks
Dnj Offline

Record your SMF's minus the parts you play live to Mp3 play on a laptop no problems.

#176960 - 08/24/07 06:21 AM Re: Backing tracks
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I'm using an iPod for solo gigs. Works very well, reliable, and sounds good. Navigation is quick and easy.

#176961 - 08/24/07 08:15 AM Re: Backing tracks
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Record your SMF's minus the parts you play live to Mp3 play on a laptop no problems.

I am confused as to why record the smf to mp3 and play on top when you can omit the tracks you play, and just play on top of smf rather than a "compressed" version of what the board can do? I'm not sure if I'm being clear. But wouldn't it sound better plus save the time of making those mp3's?
Also, it's your instrument playing. More realism all around in my mind. Or am I missing something here?
Jim

#176962 - 08/24/07 08:26 AM Re: Backing tracks
Dnj Offline

There is more flexibility & navigational abilities running with an Mp3/Wav etc. ...especially using a Laptop for seamless multitasking on stage....plus editing is a cinch regarding cut/paste/loop/chain/Eq/efx, etc etc by doing it on your Pc editing programs like Acid pro,Cubase etc etc ... you would still play the SMF thru your KB into your recording program to convert to Mp3 format.
There is nothing that makes it easier then using a Laptop setup correctly & an arranger KB to mix it up on stage for performance or backup..

#176963 - 08/24/07 12:11 PM Re: Backing tracks
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I totally agree with Donny's last post..

I use the laptop with every tune recorded as an MP3[usually my band material]..I also have another 8 thousand tunes for my DJing episodes on certain gigs..

I too Have the arranger[G70] for style play and real-time [left hand bass/ piano/drums] tunes..The G70 is also my back up [sequences on board and ready to go]..

I also carry my Zune..this is my complete back up, with all my MP3's organized for DJing or ready [separate play-list] to back up with the band..

You can't get a better , complete system than this..

#176964 - 08/24/07 07:55 PM Re: Backing tracks
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree with Jim that translating SMFs into mp3 is an unnecessary step. I might use it as a back up, but prefer to play the SMF live through as good sound source (keyboard, module, arranger, etc.). Now that I have the G70 there is enough room to store all my midis and a CF card, play them live and change cover instruments at will.

Stein, check the demos on my website. Those are 95% SMFs. The other 5% was a drum machine or an arrangement.

------------------
www.cassponline.com/

#176965 - 08/24/07 09:17 PM Re: Backing tracks
Stein67 Offline

Cheers folks. I'll take all advice on board.

Sounds good Cass

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online