SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176541 - 09/25/04 09:32 PM What's the name of this song?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Something from the 70s, lyrics include:

Come on, just a little bit closer now, baby.
I love you so much
Baby you toucha my soul now

Who sang this song?

Thanks,
Glenn

#176542 - 09/25/04 09:57 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"Hold on" ... just a little bit tighter now baby !!!!!
Then that great trumpet solo ! Yeah, baby!

I always thought it was called "Hold On" - Friends of Distinction, maybe?

#176543 - 09/25/04 10:09 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
http://www.g-sistah.com/showsong.php?id=37079

Just found this.
Looks like it's called "Tighter and Tighter"

Always liked that tune.

#176544 - 09/25/04 10:11 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
It's the one hit wonder "Tighter, Tighter" co-written by Tommy James of the Shondells and recorded by Alive and Kicking in 1970.

Scott

#176545 - 09/25/04 10:19 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
Scottyee Offline

A little more trivia on this tune:

Tommy James wrote and produced "Tighter, Tighter" while trying to launch a solo career soon after the Shondell's had broken up. James had intended to sing the song himself, but after laying down the tracks, he froze when time came to cut the vocal, citing fear of failure.

Scott

#176546 - 09/26/04 08:47 AM Re: What's the name of this song?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Thanks, guys... Scott, I gotta get that encyclopedia of song trivia. Tell me more about it, is there one volume that covers all the basics? Still wish there was a web site that had it all.

Glenn

#176547 - 09/26/04 09:30 AM Re: What's the name of this song?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
I gotta get that encyclopedia of song trivia.

No one specific book actually. I pickup trivial from many sources (from books, album covers, editorials, magazine & newspaper articles, tv, and even the internet (google search). If I had to credit specific books on the topic, I recommend:

American Hit Radio (History of Pop singles from 1955 to Present), by Thomas Ryan
http://www.amazon.com/exec /obidos/tg/de...=books&n=507846

the Wacky Top 40, by Bruce Nash & Allan Zullo http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=books

Billboard Book of One Hit Wonders: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=glance&s=books

I often like to spend free time at my local bookstores (there are MANY in this large college town where I live) and browse the many books (like above) on the subject to pick up song trivia, of which not only helps me gain more background info on the songs I already do, but gives me ideas of what songs to add as well.

Sharing this with your audience will definitely adds spice to your act and provides an audience's lasting impression. Glenn, I recommend you go thru your personal song set list first, and seek out all the facts & trivia you can find about them: Composer, performing artists, charted peak dates, etc. Hope this helped. Good luck. - Scott

#176548 - 10/15/04 09:41 AM Re: What's the name of this song?
Scottyee Offline

GlennT and all,

Just picked up a copy of the book "The Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits", 5th edition:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...=books&n=507846

This book contains a full page of interesting facts & trivia about EVERY #1 Billboard pop hit (total 933 songs) from 1955 - 2003. This book is well worth the investment as it not only covers MANY of the songs we (as OMB entertainers) perform, but provides fasinating trivia to share with your audience to make for an even more entertaining & memorable show as well.

Highly recommended. I can't put this book down.

Scott

#176549 - 10/17/04 10:34 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Here's a little deja vu thing. Has anyone else out there experienced it. When you first heard Tighter & Tighter, particularly the chorus....was it not very reminicent of Janis Joplin's "Piece of my Heart"?...
...just wunderin' ??

------------------
...L

#176550 - 06/16/06 06:02 PM Re: What's the name of this song?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glenn, it may be a little too late since you posted your message two years ago. But, for those who may want to know.... I too like this song since it takes me back to my younger days. Tommy James did record this tune - I have an original copy of it in my personal archives. The group that later recorded Tighter, Tighter is Alive 'N Kickin (spelled exactly this way). It is available at Walmart.com for only 0.88 cents. I hope this helps and enjoy the song.

------------------
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Hill (edited 06-16-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Richard Hill (edited 06-17-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online