SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17645 - 02/19/01 11:11 PM Do you use step recording for Drums?
alfax Offline

Hi yo korg people, I got me a korg x3 and I'm currently learning how to sequence on it. I was wondering if most korg workstation users use step recording when recording drums. I would like to hear some songs using the sounds of the x3!

#17646 - 02/21/01 12:45 PM Re: Do you use step recording for Drums?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hey Alfax
I'm on a T3, and when I use the workstation for percussion, I use Real time. To build a complicated pattern, I set the tempo slower, and depending on the intricacy of the piece I time it at 16:16 or 32:32. For a basic 4:4 or 2:4 time, I'll generally record it at tempo.
For some pieces, let's say you've got a single snare hit to begin the song, you can begin with a single bar of 1:4 time followed by the regular time signature. Naturally the same rule will apply to 3:4 time, 2:4 time, 5:4 (Sting) time, whatever....
I'm also using a Roland R8, sync'd to the T3's clock. Works for me...
Good Luck!!

#17647 - 03/07/01 10:47 AM Re: Do you use step recording for Drums?
grobshnit Offline

Loc: St. Catharines
Quote:
Originally posted by alfax:
Hi yo korg people, I got me a korg x3 and I'm currently learning how to sequence on it. I was wondering if most korg workstation users use step recording when recording drums. I would like to hear some songs using the sounds of the x3!

hi alfax; I use step time recording. I always record the drums on many tracks. For instance I'll use high hat on 1 track, bass drum on another, snare on another and cymbals on another and the different toms on another. the reason I do this is it makes the drums sound more realistic and you can volume each one ! Hope this helps you.

#17648 - 03/07/01 07:18 PM Re: Do you use step recording for Drums?
tommyde Offline

Loc: Dallas TX USA
Quote:
I would like to hear some songs using the sounds of the x3!

korgypark: http://cc.joensuu.fi/~jsimonen/korgypark.html
has a nice collection of resources for the x-series synths, although the focus is on the x5/x5d.

tommyde

#17649 - 03/12/01 08:44 PM Re: Do you use step recording for Drums?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
While I would encourage people to use ANY and EVERY method they can handle to reach a goal, I personally have found it much more organic and FUN to lay down drums by real-time FINGER whacks. Korg sequencers are very good at this compared to some. It will make your percussion sound more human a lot of the time and if you really hit the mark, hey, LOOP it and go from there, too. I've had several happy accidents this way. Roland drumbox or software grids make step-time easier to use, but don't neglect plain old fingers.

#17650 - 03/14/01 12:41 PM Re: Do you use step recording for Drums?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Alfax,
I'm not familiar with the X3. Is it anything like the T series with regards to it's set up? For instance, I've got 9 or 10 "kits" that I like to use, but not necessarily stay within one particular kit for percusssion tracks. I've got one kit thats got a dirty tight kick, but the crash cymbal is better on another kit, so I use a combination of 2 or 3 kits, often more just to lay down 5 or 6 percussion tracks.
Hellpope made an excellent point....let your fingers do the walkin'.
Anywhooooo...Good luck!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online