SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176408 - 12/15/04 07:11 AM Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have two Carvin "standard" microphone stands that I put spot monitors on. If I can guess at the UBB code correctly and make this image code work, they look like this...

The stands have threaded tops and appear to be about 15mm (about 5/8") in width.

Just wondering if anything comes to mind to anyone regarding how I could affix the Logitech Z2200 satellites to the stand tops. If I can do it, they'll make excellent stands. Of course, then I won't have monitor stands but I did a gig with the system and I don't think I'll need the monitors.

#176409 - 12/15/04 07:26 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Click on "Speaker Stands", or "Logitech Z-5500".
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Resources/musictips.html

#176410 - 12/15/04 07:51 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
Vquestor Offline

I would suggest you simply get some thin, yet firm,plywood(or aluminum)and make a small platform for the two satelites. Bolt the satelites onto the platform at approx. 70-90 degrees to each other.
In the middle of the platform, drill a hole just large enough for the stand's mic threads to pass through. You will need an oversized mic thread washer to put below the platform, and above the platform,a large mic clip could be screwed on.

#176411 - 12/15/04 08:22 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Click on "Speaker Stands", or "Logitech Z-5500".
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Resources/musictips.html

Yes, Scott, I forgot to mention I know about Gary's use of the music stands and his tutorial. I was just wondering about using these particular stands. I'm not very handy with stuff like this but my brother is and I'm just fishing for ideas.

#176412 - 12/15/04 08:26 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vquestor:
I would suggest you simply get some thin, yet firm,plywood(or aluminum)and make a small platform for the two satelites. Bolt the satelites onto the platform at approx. 70-90 degrees to each other.
In the middle of the platform, drill a hole just large enough for the stand's mic threads to pass through. You will need an oversized mic thread washer to put below the platform, and above the platform,a large mic clip could be screwed on.

You mean put BOTH satellites on one stand? If I did that, I could use the other stand for one of my spot monitors.

You said "mic thread washer," is that one of those star-shaped washers? Well, not star-shaped but maybe you know what I mean. The outer edge is in this wavy pattern. Reason I ask, is that there is one on the stand.

By the way, this is the DUMBEST setup for spot monitors I can imagine. You would think a company such as Carvin that makes excellent equipment would do better than this... but all you do is you stick the spot monitor speaker on top of the stand it has maybe 1/2" to hold it on there. It's flimsy as can be. I griped to Carvin guy about it and he agreed it is dicey. I don't like it at all. The speaker, seems it could pretty easily go down. They don't screw in and just sitting there, there needs to be a deeper hole in the speaker.

#176413 - 12/15/04 11:41 PM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:

You mean put BOTH satellites on one stand?

Yes, but at almost right angles to each
other(like a V).

If I did that, I could use the other stand for one of my spot monitors.

Good idea.

You said "mic thread washer," is that one of those star-shaped washers? Well, not star-shaped but maybe you know what I mean. The outer edge is in this wavy pattern. Reason I ask, is that there is one on the stand.

Well I just meant the oversized mic nut
that comes on the mic stand. It knurled,
but wider than the thin standard knurled type. If the one you already have is wide
enough, see if it is stable enough when the
platform is sandwiched between it and the
top mic clip. If not, find a wide but strong washer like the "Fender type". You may have to widen the hole to fit the mic thread. Then put this fender washer on top
of your knurled mic nut, platform on top of that, then screw on mic clip.

#176414 - 12/16/04 05:28 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
SemiLiveMusic Offline

By a mic clip, you mean something like this?

Why would I put something like that on top? Is that the only thing that has female threads to match the top of the stand?

As for two satellites on one stand, versus putting each satellite on a separate stand, that is obviously easier to haul around, less stage clutter. Would the sound be about as good as separating two stands?

#176415 - 12/16/04 05:37 AM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Semilive,

Take a closer look at the photos I posted--you'll see how to put this together. It's very easy, even for those who have trouble screwing in a lightbulb.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#176416 - 12/16/04 01:59 PM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
By a mic clip, you mean something like this?

Why would I put something like that on top? Is that the only thing that has female threads to match the top of the stand?

As for two satellites on one stand, versus putting each satellite on a separate stand, that is obviously easier to haul around, less stage clutter. Would the sound be about as good as separating two stands?

Yes, that's the mic clip I was talking about.
I supposed you could use an oversized counternut like the one under the platform(assuming you found one), but the mic clip is easier to grab and tighten down.
I would just remove the mic clip portion and
use the lower female part.
I have never found any other type of mic thread female(cap style), other than the mic clip you have a picture of. If you find one, please post it.
Of course, if you split the satelites,
you probably would spread the sound around the room better, but I really don't think
the difference would be that drastic, being
that the 2200 is only enough for a small to
medium room anyway.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 12-16-2004).]

#176417 - 12/16/04 02:42 PM Re: Speaker stand for Logitech satellite speakers
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Hey Guys....haw about using a galvanized pole end....it is threaded and had a base about 3 inches across with 3 or 4 holes for screws...we used to use them why back when...
for installing another chothes rack in the closet using a galvanized pipe....you could screw the plywood onto the base with the speakers installed then just attach to the stand in a circler motion...it should work just fine....BTW....I couldn't find the z-5500 but I did find and buy the Z-5300's so I will be doing the same thing....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online