SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#176340 - 05/01/05 01:12 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I listened to Beachbum's yesterday and... I liked it. I downloaded it and did some playing around with it in Wavelab.
I put a stereo-enhancer on the original recording and added some mid and lower strings. A pizzicato somewhere near the beginning and at the end and that was it.
However I couldn't resist putting a "sgt. Pepper's" trumpet in it as well. Maybe not appropriate but I had fun doing this.
You can find it HERE

------------------
drdalet

#176341 - 05/01/05 02:53 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
DJ
Being on dialup I only have the patience to download one version, so I downloaded drdalet's...and enjoyed it very much. No complaints here with dragging...everything you sang appeared to be intentional stylization with the emotion I am sure you felt.

It sounded great. Sure wish I could hit those high notes like you do. Congrats to you and drdalet on a fine collaboration.

Eddie

#176342 - 05/01/05 05:42 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi DJ,
I enjoyed your rendition a lot. I had never heard your first one. I think must have been posted just a bit before I found this wonderful place. But I have enjoyed everything I have heard from you and please do keep sharing with us.

------------------
The old Newb

#176343 - 05/01/05 06:33 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Ed thanks for the listen, I'm glad you enjoyed it...

drdalet... Pretty cool remake thier... Thanks for the tweaks... very cool..

Eddie
Thanks for the time... I wouldn't have bothered on dail up... I once, had to go back to dial after being with a cable modem for years... All I would do is check email and log off... Way to slow... Thanks for taking the time...

OldNewb,
Thank you for your time as well... I think I did this to say hey... We can get better if we have folks not wanting to tear us down, but help build us up...
Thanks everyone,
DJ

#176344 - 05/03/05 03:10 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
Good version and good singing. I could sit in a bar and listen to you for hours.
And don't worry about the flamers from your first attempts. Remember that Lucille Ball's first acting teacher begged her to drop out because he said that she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and COL Sanders had three bankruptcies before he started selling chicken.
I'm going to check out your originals...
BTW, for those who are curious, I'm a newbie deciding which arranger to buy and this is my first post.
Love the forum!
- Dan

#176345 - 05/03/05 05:31 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Welcome to the forum StPatrick/Dan.
There has been an awful lot of posting here lately about new members and how they feel treated as they are fitting in. I hope you do not let any of it influence you in whatever you want to say. I just try to remember the old "Golden Rule".
I hope your stay here is long and fruitful.

------------------
The old Newb

#176346 - 05/03/05 10:40 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
Thanks so much. I think AJ told me about this forum when I met him at Washington Music Center and he was dazzling me with the SD1 Plus. Me and a guy who works for me got him to play and sing Shaggy's Angel after about 30 seconds of humming it to him. Really talented guy.
Back to the topic at hand.... (I'm scared to do any off topic stuff here, lol!) I like this guys originals too. He really reminds me of the lead singer from Men at Work. I bet he could tear up Down Under.

#176347 - 05/03/05 11:30 AM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm not sure if it would be a compliment or insult to have myself compared to another singer (famous & re-owned or not). On one hand a compliment because of the association, but I prefer to be acknowledged for 'my own' voice & unique style.

I remember seeing a video documentary on Elvis Presley, where he recants that a record producer (Sun records?) asked him (before he was heard/discovered) WHO he sounded like. He replied: "I don't sound like nobody else, I sound like myself". Very telling response I'd say. Now half the world (Elvis impersonators) are trying to sound like him. Afterall, there is and will always be ONLY one Elvis.

Though we all might sound similar to someone else (star) out there, I personally advocate each of us finding & devleoping our OWN 'voice' and UNIQUE sound. Though I can obviously hear the similarities between DJ's & Sting's vocal style, I also appreciate the vocal things that DJ does differently than Sting, and encourage him to set himself uniquely apart, developing his own sound with that. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-03-2005).]

#176348 - 05/03/05 07:28 PM Re: Cover tune Yesterday
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Thanks for listening ST Pat and welcome to the forum... You can find anything you what to know about arrangers here... Always someone to help...

Thanks again Scott... Kind of strange... I don't hear anyone but me when doing tunes now...

DJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online