Topic Options
#176322 - 01/23/03 12:34 AM Re: Which arranger can modify sounds...,
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
True!

#176323 - 01/23/03 03:57 AM Re: Which arranger can modify sounds...,
bitdump3 Offline

Loc: Fano, Italy
the Yamaha Voice editing software for the Tyros works quite well, and the thing can save your sounds in a user location.

Problems for me, the computer is nessary and third the software is not the smoothest thing in the world, feels like a development tool that was made public. Also, the USB MIDI driver is still in my computer even after the uninstall process and I've have yet to find a way of tossing it. I even went though my registry dumping every thing Tyros and Yamaha as the unintaller would not function to begin with.

You can select multiple keymaps per voice (ala MegaVoice) but they share one signal path after that (including all modulators) not a bad synth engine accually. The program is very mouse dependant it seemed (i didn't spend that much time on it) and rather slow.

The Pa80 is a variation of the good old sound engine in the Triton and allows you access to all of it with out the use of a computer, but does reduce you to parameter lists and values, so if you like nifty little drawings of envelopes or wave shapes then your set to be dissapointed. Still it is the same thing sans a few point which I will get to in a second.

First off, most of the ROM sample data is the same with the exception of certain voices that suit the arranger player more, so the Accordian, flutes and such are different than the Triton, and pretty much better. But the biggest difference is the lack of Insert FX that are in the Triton. It also has some pluses, there are 4 OSC oer voice doubling that of the triton. A decent trade off depending what your doing (also a good way to tax the Polyphony)

Personally I would have to give the Pa80 the edge as it is a variation on what I believe is the most popular Rompler subtractive synth engine on the market right now. There is also a very large online information source in anything triton related, of course with some adaption as you lack the insert fx and some of the sound ROM is different. Also everything is availible from the front panel . I don't think there is a computer editor avaible with all the parameters (something like emagics Sound Diver) but for the basic edit features like cutoff, resonnace, the Amplitude ADSR and some LFO (refered to as Vibrato) parameters are availible as MIDI controllers so they are easy to tweak via midi.

One other thing to note about the Yamaha engine though, there are more filter types than in the korg as I recall. None the less the korgs Lowpass or Lowpass to Hipass system pretty good too. This is where the extra Ocilators come in handy.

Hope this clears up some of the differences between the three systems. Anyone want to know how many algs and layers it takes to emulate all of this in a Kurzweil?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online