Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#175378 - 10/14/07 08:49 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

A slip in quality control on the assembly line would cause identical problems with the units...as it stands, the issues were varied.

Whatever the cause, Yamaha is doing it's usual thorough investigation and will correct any current problems.

All the best,

Ian

That isn't necessarily so in my opinion. An assembly line could have issues at the start of the line, midway, or at the end of the line and therefore the quality control (or lack thereof) could affect many varied aspects of the assembly process depending on how lackadaisical and/or problematic the quality control issues have become at the factory.

On the other hand if a pallet somehow got dropped from a considerable height the boxes that they come in would most likely have been damaged also. I haven't heard of people complaining about smashed, ripped, or otherwise damaged boxes upon receiving their S series keyboards. Maybe I missed that discussion I dunno. The keyboards are boxed together at the factory in Indonesia and as far as I know Yamaha U.S. doesn't re-box them at their facility in Buena Park, CA. do they? Maybe they do, but if a keyboard has already been damaged by a fall from a pallet or whatever, you would think Yamaha U.S. would put a new keyboard back in the new re-boxed box with undamaged merchandise thereby rectifying the problem(s) at both ends i.e. a new undamaged box with a new undamaged S500/700/900 in them. Apparently that has not been the procedure followed by Yamaha or else we wouldn't be getting all these reports of problematic S series keyboards arriving at peoples doors in damaged condition. If indeed a pallet load of S series keyboards did in fact hit the deck.

I suspect the real problem lies at the factory in Indonesia. But what do I know?

Yamaha doing whatever necessary to root out the problem at its source is something we can all hope that they accomplish in a most timely manner. If not sooner.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-14-2007).]

#175379 - 10/14/07 09:01 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
On the other hand if a pallet somehow got dropped from a considerable height the boxes that they come in would most likely have been damaged also.

Mike,

It's speculation that the boxes themselves would be damaged...remember they are packed tightly together...the shock of a fall would damage what's inside the boxes especially if the palette landed flat.

But then again, I'm only speculating too.

Just as long as the problems are seen to and corrected...that's the most important thing.

Ian

#175380 - 10/14/07 05:04 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And I think that common sense would dictate that, if you DID get a faulty initial S900, you should demand that the replacement one they send you be unboxed first, and tested thoroughly. Especially in the US, but at the moment, just about worldwide doesn't seem unreasonable.

Nothing worse than receiving another faulty product as a replacement to the first....!

#175381 - 10/14/07 07:11 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Beakybird Offline

While I was unhappy about getting two faulty keyboards, I was happy about how I was treated by my retailer, Joe Martell of Sweetwater Sound and by Steve Demming of Yamaha.

I was one of the first customers to receive an S-900 in the USA, and it was defective. My retailer told me that that was the only one he had, and that there were production delays on the next shipment. It took five weeks for me to get the second keyboard that was defective.

Given that these two keyboards came from shipments five weeks apart, and Tim's keyboard came six weeks after that with version 1.2 on it, it is evident that the problem came from the factory and not from a bunch of keyboards falling off a pallette.

Beakybird

#175382 - 10/14/07 07:57 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

You win, Beaky....now contact Yamaha and tell them you've cracked the case.

Ian the Impressed

#175383 - 10/14/07 09:54 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You win, Beaky....now contact Yamaha and tell them you've cracked the case.

Ian the Impressed

Not only did Larry get two bad S900's in a row (just like Tim did by the way ) now you're jesting with him about his reasonings as to where the problems are most likely originating from?!?! You're adding grief to his sorrow and if that isn't enough you're basically insulting him by telling him to do your dirty work Ian. You are a Yamaha employee who reads this forum regularly and I enjoy your input and insight regarding arranger keyboards but you really shouldn't mock your customers even if you think it is in fun and games. And Larry shouldn't be the one to make that call, rather it is you who should Ian. I'm sure Steve Deming has already let the higher up's know of the situation but the more Yammie employees that get the word out the better I would think. At least it couldn't hurt anyway. So make that call.. Tell 'em the natives are restless and if something isn't done pronto they may lose customers and potential customers to the competition. A worst case scenario yes, but nevertheless it could happen if Yamaha turns a blind eye to their customers legitimate concerns.

Even though you may have been joking it really wasn't funny Ian, at least to me anyway. It was rather demeaning in my opinion. I think your customers deserve better Ian. And I hope Larry is in a forgiving mood.

I also hope that your superiors don't get wind of this and for some reason you get reprimanded or something worse happens because of it. Loose lips sink ships they say. "Have you seen or heard from Ian lately?" "No I haven't as a matter of fact." "It seems rather dull around the Zone without him chiming in the way he used to." "Pity, I actually heard he got canned for insulting a devoted, loyal customer of his former employer." Nah! Really?? >> "Nah, just joking." Whew!! That was a close one.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-14-2007).]

#175384 - 10/15/07 01:28 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Beakybird Offline

I did feel insulted by your response, Ian. That was a gratuitous and condescending remark.

I feel like Ian's voice addressing this matter is the voice of a propagandist.

I did get two faulty keyboards. One literally ruined one of my gigs that I barely got through by the skin of my teeth, so I do have the right to say, "What the f@#@?"

I would recommend the PSR-S900 to anyone, but if a good friend of mine was buying one, I would feel obliged to warn him to be vigilant of the quality control issues. I have heard of at least three faulty keyboards on the PK Owner forum. I don't read the forums in the other languages. This is unprecedented.

I think the fact that there is an over two month space between these defective keyboards and that they were sold as soon as they got to the store indicates very obviously that they came from different shipments. It is clear to me, at least, that I did "crack the case."

I am sure that Yamaha and Ian would rather folks think the problem came from a forklift driver. I don't think that I should be attacked as an irrelevant armchair detective just for pointing out that this is clearly not the case.

I have a right to be concerned about Yamaha quality control. I shelled out close to 1 1/2 grand for these two keyboards. I love performing on them. My audience is raving about my performances. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to be worried that my kb just might fry out on an important gig - and that the warranty on labor is only 90 days.

Yamaha took great care of me. That I have stated, but I wish they took care of me on the assembly line in Indonesia in the first place.

Beakybird

#175385 - 10/15/07 03:48 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Well Beaky, I still think you're a great armchair Sherlock and your partner, Dr. Watson(Mike)impresses me as well.

Great work, fellows.

Now, about your complaint.

Nowhere in my post did I make fun of, or even mention your issues with your S900s...nowhere...so PLEASE do not put words in my mouth...please read the post again if you're not sure.

Now, see the smiley in said post? That means that it was meant in fun.

Nothing else...no hidden agenda.

Now, I hope this clears things up about my post...if not, well, carry on.

BTW Mike...I have already sent a copy of this thread to my superiors.

Regards,

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-15-2007).]

#175386 - 10/15/07 06:16 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Beakybird Offline

OK. No big deal.

Hey, Indonesia, where the PSR-S900 is made, is a Muslim country. Maybe some zealot is sabotoging US bound keyboards because of our involvement in Iraq. I think I'm going to open up my keyboard to see if there's a jihadist message in there.

Beakybird

#175387 - 10/15/07 06:27 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
2 Words , that can`t be said enough:

QUALITY CONTROL

Ian , you work for Yamaha ?

Gary

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online