SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#175368 - 10/12/07 11:46 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
OK, understood. Didn't know if you were referring to that or setting up the controls.

#175369 - 10/13/07 12:03 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki,

I should mention that in spite of the complaints /issues with the PSR-900 that seem to be concentrated in the USA (and seem to stem from mishandling after the product has left the factory), the S900 is a whopping success here in Canada and it seems to be just as much in Europe.

I have had not one complaint about the PSR-S900's construction or operation...not one.

If anything, I have received many praises about the incredibly realistic sound of the SA and Mega voices, the Audio to USB recording, the excellent user interface, the fine onboard speakers, and the well programmed styles to name a few features that continually impress new owners.

Most of all, the highest praise seems to be the ability of the S900 to have most of the features of the much more expensive Tyros2 for an amazing price.

It is very nice of you to take the time and point out areas where YOU think Yamaha needs to improve their product line, but with the unbridled success of the Tyros2 and now the S900, I have a strong feeling that they know what they're doing.

Once again, thank you for your interesting post.

Ian

#175370 - 10/13/07 03:20 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I found out today that the PSR S900's are made in Indonesia. Probably the same for the S500/700 as well. Oh well, there goes the China quality control theory down the tubes. But that doesn't necessarily let Indonesia off the hook. The PSR S900 is evidence of that.. maybe.

Or in case of the other supposed scenario that has been suggested - I wonder if Yammie has located and identified that bonehead in the warehouse that Steve mentioned. If it is indeed an inside job. Although it's hard to understand how both of Tim's S900's had bad USB ports, one after the other. You wouldn't think that both of Tim's S900's came from the same pallet that may have been mishandled or rough housed by a staffer.

Anyway, I hope everything gets worked out and back on track with whatever quality control issues the PSR S series is facing and/or continues to face.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-13-2007).]

#175371 - 10/13/07 04:25 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fortunately, Ian, Yamaha themselves decide every few years that their current model is not 'perfect' and, in fact, could use some improvement.

You are happily using those 'improvements' that, while you had a PSR3k, you were just as adamant that you didn't need. I don't hear you complaining now, and I didn't hear you complaining then...

And trust me, should Yamaha ever decide that their arranger users (who pay as much as their workstation customers) deserve as well built keyboards as their WS users, you won't be complaining in the slightest, then either. Whatever they do, apparently is just fine by you. So why not encourage them to do something that a large number of us here at SZ actually DO want? After all, if they do it, you aren't going to care either way...

#175372 - 10/13/07 04:32 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

Although it's hard to understand how both of Tim's S900's had bad USB ports, one after the other. You wouldn't think that both of Tim's S900's came from the same pallet that may have been mishandled or rough housed by a staffer.

Anyway, I hope everything gets worked out and back on track with whatever quality control issues the PSR S series is facing and/or continues to face.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 10-13-2007).]

Mike, I need to correct you. My FIRST S900 had dead pitch bend and modulation wheels. And the voices all had a waver as if the mod. wheel was in the up position. My SECOND S900 had the dead USB to DEVICE socket. I'm now awaiting delivery of my THIRD (and last) S900.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#175373 - 10/13/07 04:49 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Fortunately, Ian, Yamaha themselves decide every few years that their current model is not 'perfect' and, in fact, could use some improvement.

It's called "advances in technology" my friend, and sorry, as smart as I am (and modest as well ) I can't see into the future.

I did hear a rumor there was to be no G70 replacement...any truth in it, oh Nostradikimous?

Ian the Inquisitive

Ian

#175374 - 10/14/07 01:09 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've heard that rumor, too. Hopefully, it is just that, but it must be hard for Roland to recover from the debacle that the G70's release created (not to mention the abrupt change in direction with the VA series that left most G1000 users scratching their heads).

Add in the disaster to Roland sales caused by transferring the arranger division over to the CK stores, who, apparently, are not the slightest bit interested in even stocking them, yet alone promoting them (at least in the US). Not enough profit margin compared to KR-series and Atelier, I guess. But they have been resoundingly ignored by their own dealers in the US, to the point that few cities even have any to look at (including the E-series).

If one were deliberately trying to kill a formerly profitable line, I can think of no better way than RolandUS have managed. Perhaps the rumor is only that, but given Roland's phobia for any kind of public disclosure, it may take a long time to find out while Roland string us along at each trade show with vague predictions.

I wish they would let us know, one way or the other, and at least then I could snap up a slightly used one to mothball for when my G70 eventually gives up the ghost, rather than waiting forever to see if the NEXT G-series returns my Chord Sequencer to me....

#175375 - 10/14/07 04:01 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
It seems the G series may bite the dust, however as the E series (E80) is a more advanced version of the G series (G70) there is no reason why a 76 note version won’t be added. (Already done with the E50/60)
If you look at the new Atelier range you will see they still keep the unique Roland 56 upper and 76 note lower manuals.
Should be interesting to see what Roland show at NAMM.
BTW is any SZ member going this time?

Bill

#175376 - 10/14/07 04:18 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Beakybird Offline

The problems with the PSR-S900 that I have heard of so far are too varied to be a problem with a load falling off of a pallett.

I'm glad that the problems are mostly confined to the USA.

I believe that there was a quality control problem. Many of the problems reveal inner circuitry issues. A few, like cracked plastic and the usb not working might be from mishandling.

Hey, I'm very happy with the two PSR-S900's that I own. Knock on wood. I am having a lot of fun at my jobs and in my office. I just feel bad for those who like me got defective keyboards.

I really hope that Yamaha gets this issue under control ASAP.

Beakybird

#175377 - 10/14/07 04:48 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Beaky,

We can all speculate on the cause of the S900's issues...the dropped palette one is viable, as is a batch that slipped through quality control...I'm inclined to go with the former as the keyboards in question were all in the same destination area.

A large heavy palette dropped from even a short distance could/would wreak havoc on connectors to wheels, data dials, USB ports, screens, even speakers.

A slip in quality control on the assembly line would cause identical problems with the units...as it stands, the issues were varied.

Whatever the cause, Yamaha is doing it's usual thorough investigation and will correct any current problems.

They did help you, didn't they?

Glad you getting along fine with both S900s.

All the best,

Ian

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online