SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#175328 - 10/07/07 06:24 PM More Thoughts on the S900
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
1-The over sound is up about 5 notches above the PSR3000.
2-Working with the Music Finder -- When you exit or save a song the Music Finder does not default to the top, instead it stays where you were working last.
3-I know you can use an external recorded, in many cases a better one that’s in the S900 --- but what a connivance to have it all in one package, love it.
4-The buttons do have a different feel but In my short period of playing this keyboard I do not find them a problem.
5-In order to see the window properly you must sit high or elevate the back end of the keyboard. When you elevate the back end the music rack is almost perpendicular. N.G.
6-I do love the weight.
7-The screen is the same size (I think) but it is brighter than the 3K.
8-I am not sure why they made two areas on the Main screen a darker color, it limits how you adjust the screen.
9-The Video out put only works well in some cases. Instruments show good, but the bottom of the page is missing. The main page is split, part of the bottom is at the top. Any way of adjusting this. And the red colors are blurred.

I welcome any thoughts, John c.

#175329 - 10/07/07 06:57 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Beakybird Offline

Regarding the Music Finder, I like the Repertoire option in the style menu. You press it, and songs tailor made for that style appear in the MF database.

A cool tip: If you have a Yamaha style from Tyros 2, CVP 409, or aftermarket Yamaha made style. If you want to see what songs it is suitable for, save it to USER memory, call up the style, and call up repertoire in the Style Menu, the MF database will come up with the song.

I haven't had any problem with the display.

It is a drag getting the usb stick in and out when the keyboard is against a wall, and the music rest is on. I just started using a USB extension cable so this isn't a problem anymore.

The mic input is hotter than the PSR3000's. It seems like the vocal harmonizer is superior - probably the same as the Tyros 2's. Not as good as a TC helicon, but pretty good.

Beakybird

#175330 - 10/08/07 06:31 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Hi Bruno, I used to have the Psr-3000 and I intend to upgrade to the S900. Since my local store doesn't have one on display, I have to rely on users' comments on this great forum.A few questions:
1)Can I load all user sounds and styles I had from the Psr-3000 into the S900?
2)I used to save all my user banks in the Smart media card installed safely in the proper slot. How could I have that in the S900 since it doesn't have the slot anynore?
3)Are the key feel and size the same as the Psr-3000?
4)And last, but not least, does the user bank capacity of the S900 the same or superior to the Psr-3000?
Thanks in advance for all the hints.

------------------

#175331 - 10/08/07 07:38 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Telmo,
If you have memory cards , no problem ! > link:
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1151)-SDDR-99-A15-SanDisk_ImageMate_5In1_ReaderWriter.aspx

Yes , all your saved styles would work with the PSR-S900

Yes , the key-bed is the same , NO change.
It might feel like a change at first , but that is because it`s new , after it is used awhile and loosens up it will feel like the Y3K

I think the S900 has more user memory , if not it will be the same, ( I think more )

Now i must tell you the bad , at least for me.
The small rubber buttons on some units tend to stick , not so has to cause any problem , just a pain that Yamaha didn`t use plastic buttons like your Y3K.

So in the end:

Better vocies
Needs more mixing & tweaking to balance the sound.
Updated style is a plus
Key-bed NO change
Rubber buttons
NO -- USB up front , but like BK said" use an extension cable"

Link for cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2

I hope this helps !!
Gary

#175332 - 10/08/07 07:52 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Tks all for very interesting issues.
Gary
It's very important to purchase an usb extension from a dependable branch.
I had a lot of problems with my digital cameras during an entire week.
At the end,I found a low quality usb extension.
Chico

#175333 - 10/08/07 08:58 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
I too moved on from the PSR3000 to the S900 and at first I was distressed at the layout changes and small design faults, the 3k was a fantastic design, I would have been happy if Yamaha built the S900 into the 3000 casing....ok heres my angle on the not so good side of the S900...

1:- The screen is now further back and playing in a normal position it is not easily readable without leaning over the keyboard and if you use a second keyboard on top you will have problems.

2:- The rubber buttons are awful, they are not positive enough and if you press them in certain areas they do not respond, in some areas they are to small, the rubber will eventually perish with the acidity from sweaty fingers...who at Yamaha ok'd these rubber buttons to be used?...I'd give the S900 about 2 years before these buttons start to go...be warned.

3:- The area arond the screen is bristling with the normal PSR buttons (rubber) but they are Black on a Black background and are very hard to see on a dark stage, I have had to put flouescent sticky paper dots next to them to make them visible..terrible design!!!

4:- The 'fade out' button is periloulsy close the the 'Arranger Off' button...be carefull with that or you may find your volume disappearing if you dont realise you've hit it..

5:- The registration section facilitates the need to press 2 separate buttons simutaneously at times, once again the 3000 was so quick accessing the 'Reg' pages.

6:- The absence of any large scale 'on board' continuous storage is a pain in the butt, the 3000 had the 'Smart Medai' slot, which would hold huge amounts of data is now gone , all you can do now is use a USB pen stuck in the back which is ok if your S900 is kept in one place...if you are a giging musician you have to keep removing it after each performance which creates the situation where you could lose or forget your data pen and have no styles/registations available. We are in and age where memory is avaiable cheaply but Yamaha felt that 1.44mb inbuilt memory was ok...its not! its totally inadequate, a small closable compartment at the back to hold the data pen permanantly in would have been acceptable.

Ok there you have it...my thought's on the S900....you can't fault the sound but it has some serious design glitches....

Anybody feel the same?

Rgds
Pasa

[This message has been edited by pasadoble (edited 10-08-2007).]

#175334 - 10/08/07 09:52 AM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Chico ,

Long time no "chat to "

All is well I hope.

As far as cheap cables , yes they can be a pian , however I buy ALL my cables from Mono Price dot com and have never had any problems.

Pasa,
I`m with you all the way as far as hating those rubber buttons.
Why O why , would Yamaha do something that crazy.

The S900 is such a bargin that it is hard to pass up.

If it only had plastic buttons / an adjustable screen / and the FSX key-bed / front USB pot , it would be a perfect A/KB.

Even if you had to pay as much as a Motif XS6 , it would still be a steal.

I really don`t think those buttons will last 2 years , your being too kind !!!

Later guy`s
Gary

#175335 - 10/08/07 01:43 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I hear some of the negative comments, if they are thought of individually it could be a reason not to buy a S900. I have both the 3K and the S900, there is without doubt a big difference in the overall sound, which I feel is the important factor.

My friend brought his Tyros 2 and we compared it with the 3K, there was a big overall sound difference. If I gave the Ty2 a 9 (1 To 10) in overall sound then the 3K would get 5 and the S900 would get a 7. Sorry that’s the only thing I could come up with.

1-I have elevated the back of the keyboard and the screen is OK.
2-The key-bed is better. Will it go with use? Until I get there I have no idea.

I feel Yamaha, and all the other keyboard manufactures are trying their best to stay up front and still make their profit. When I think of all the joy and pleasure AND that they have given us a keyboard that has given us the ability to earn dollars, I find it hard complaining about their product in general. I have bought a Psr2000, Psr2100, Psr3000, Tyros 1, and a Tyros 2 – and have not had a single problem.
I had all the Technics models –the KN6000 was so bad, so many complaints, that they gave me a new KN6500. But not until I made 10 103 mile round trips to Miami and made many, many of calls. I am sure other manufactures have their own story. So who knows.

I am going to end this post by saying – When I say “overall sound”, I mean the sound that the audience will hear – That is one heck of a good reason to buy one.
Bottom line: Yamaha is one of the good keyboards and the S900 in it’s price range is very hard to beat.

I had to think about why I am posting my opinion in this manner – it’s because I am enjoying my S900 so much I hate to read any of the negatives that are being posted, but we do need the whole story.

Now that is only my opinion, John C.

#175336 - 10/08/07 02:58 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I guess there's no fence too sharp to sit on.

Truth is, there is no perfect arranger...the G70's too heavy, the PA-800 has some style flaws, the E-50 has no dedicated Intro/Ending 1.2.3.buttons, the S900 has rubber buttons, the 3k has an action some don't like...

T'was no different years ago...the Moogs drifted out of tune, the Prophets had J-wire key action problems, the Hammond B-3 was a tad heavy, the Wurlitzers were hard to tune...BUT...we still used them because we liked the sound, and we adapted to their idiosyncrasies.

Nothing is perfect.

Find the keyboard that does it for you, and learn to adapt...or keep waiting for the perfect one to be made.

I love my S900...it's not "perfect" but it's perfect for me, and I can easily live with it's imperfections to get that terrific sound of SA voices(love the Sax!).

Ian

#175337 - 10/08/07 03:00 PM Re: More Thoughts on the S900
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Ian

I cannot say better

Chico

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online