SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175294 - 03/19/06 05:31 PM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bachus, I seen pictures that Domenik posted, showing about 50 units all ready to ship[3 months ago]..I am sure delivery has been made..It still could be a product that is continue updated OS refinement..

#175295 - 03/19/06 09:03 PM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Bachus Offline

Yep

I have seen them the groove version (Oriental). Things like that really make me doubt the whole philosophy behind the company. Building a modular software synth is great, but releasing it before things are even halfway ready is bad. Espescially in the musical instruments buisness where reliabillity is more important then the product itself.

Things like that make me doubt the whole product and company.

Thank you for reminding me of that, allready pushed that to the back of my mind, maybe because this Workstation could be all that i ever dreamed about as a musician and a computer technician. Though i have so many doubts and thats probably the reason why i am posting here. I hoped to find people that could take away my doubts, but its actually getting worse even despite the fact that Philipe seems quite possitive. I still think this whole thing could even be a hoax, maybe things will clear up at april first when i visit the musikmesse.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#175296 - 03/20/06 12:09 AM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bachus
For Live work I would think the Wersi Ikarus would be better as it is lighter to carry around then the Abacus.
I currently run OAS 6 on my Abacus, (Will be updating later in the year) and so only have a limited knowledge of OAS 7, but double check to see if the VST instruments can be stored in Presets, (Most functions of OAS can be) as if so you will not be limited to the same 4 all night.
Also check what separate VST Hosts are available, as some can be run as VSTs themselves, which means you can expand the number of VST Instruments available to you.
Finally please remember that each VST instrument requires processing power (CPU) and this is what will limit the amount of VST Instruments you can run simultaneously.
Can’t remember the name of the DSP cards used in the Mediastation, but they were Not made by Lionstracs, and were of high quality. BTW. Wersi use Creamware DSP boards.
Hope this helps, and don’t forget to post about anything you find at the MusicMesse.

Bill

#175297 - 03/21/06 11:20 AM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Bachus, if you want something that sounds worse than a budget Casio and constantly needs an update to correct an updates faults then go for the Mediastation, otherwise stick with a company that has a better reputation like Wersi if you want VST's on your instrument. The Ikarus is amazing, I've heard it and played it, I just thought it was too expensive for what I was willing to pay at the time, but it's still on my hit list for maybe later this year. Be very careful with Lionstracs, if it was that good an instrument the owners would be praising it on here, instead no one ever bothers to put anything about it. I wonder why........

#175298 - 03/21/06 02:19 PM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Filipe Tomas Offline

Hello forum people.
I think that I can explain better the Mediastation Arquitecture:

The Mediastation GM sound´s are attached in a BIG flash memory (Removible and upgraded by socket).
In other keyboard´s it´s impossible to do it. My Mediastation don´t have the same FLASH like factory ( Lionstracs was upgraded mine this year, more sound´s ).

I think Mediastatin use´s ENVY chip´s to makes 24 bit sound output´s. MS have too special PCI card´s inside.

First point: All the rest is linux based dedicated software.

With this Special feature we can have a New Keyboard just changing software, nice don´t ?

Wy I need to by new keyboard´s bettwen 2, 3 or 4 year´s ?
I remember again, al Hardware is ready to work and to next generation too.

Wy Tyros 1, Tyros2, psr9000. tecnhic´s kn......, solton MS. SD.. , KorgPAX, PX ( Attencion I have somes too ) makes new model´s ?
The conpanies need to upgrade the hardware. And if you can put your software from the XXXX last model conpanie inside a hold model ?
Like put Techincs KN1000 running the Technics Kn2000 ? Hardware inconpatibility off course. Other´s too, Like wy I need to by a SD5 ? Wy my SD1 don´t load SD5 software ?

In all life on My SD1, I only was 3 software updates maybe in 3 or 4 year´s. One Upgrade in my old Roland-G1000 in all life time.

I think it´s time to keep the same hardware and just makes software updates. ( new features other thing´s )

Again i tell to all people forum that I´m happy with my Mediastation.
Remember, Lionstracs are one dedicated team to one cause ( Mediastation ), not 1 team by many model´s and product´s.
Big conpanies make it ? Maybe yes, maybe not. I think the result off more Updates that the other´s keyboard is the intensive and very direccionated job from Lionstracs Team.

Thanks to all.

Filipe Tomás - PORTUGAL

#175299 - 03/21/06 03:40 PM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:

With this Special feature we can have a New Keyboard just changing software, nice don´t ?

Wy I need to by new keyboard´s bettwen 2, 3 or 4 year´s ?[/B]

Hi Filipe,

Isn't that what Wersi's been doing for a couple of years now?

On the other hand, I do believe that even with this option people sooner or later will still buy a new model.

I don't see anything wrong with bringing out a new model every couple of years as one should also realize the other side of the story; economy. People need jobs and not everyone can be a software engineer. Thank goodness or I'd be without a job right now!

Taike

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

#175300 - 03/22/06 04:04 PM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Bachus Offline

thats a shock to me Graig.

I knew that you didn;t like mediastations opperation, but i never knew you didn't like the sound of it.

What didn't you like of the sound

-its styles
-its sampled instruments
- the quallity of the soundoutput (DSP/soundcard)

or a combination of the above?

#175301 - 03/23/06 04:57 AM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Bachus.
The styles were a joke. They were worse than very bad, they had little or no intro's to them, no endings, very lifeless and badly programmed midi files. If you can imagine converting a Tyros 2 style through EMC styleworks for a low end Yamaha PSR model you get the idea, it simply doesn't work or sound good. The quality of the sampled instruments were very poor and were no way near the quality used in the Tyros 2, SD1, G70 etc. Fair enough I had a huge piano sample (2GB is it?) but this didn't do anything for me and neither did the VST organ plugin which was badly implemented with the way the instrument works. The sound output I can't comment on as mine had serious faults and I used to get dreadful buzzing noises or samples locking up on me.
Having heard the new demos on Lionstracs site, in my opinion the sounds and styles are still of a very poor quality considering that this instrument is up there with the top end arrangers on cost.
I've said it before, the idea is an excellent one but I don't think they will ever get it all working correctly. If you want plugins stick with Wersi at least they know what they are doing and their instruments sound good.

#175302 - 03/26/06 10:27 AM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
Bachus Offline

Okay....so i'll have to go and hear this for myselves. On one side we have Philip who is a true lionstrac supporter, on the other side we have Graig who is a true lionstracs hater. I'll report my own opinion to you after the Messe.

Currently i am leaning more towards Wersi, but they also have some mad customers becasue of some dirty tricks played with the hardware part of upgrading to OAS7.

An other option i am currently thinking of is a true masterkeyboard/software setup with OMB, just wondering if OMB is suit for live play with a good masterkeyboard setup to switch part of my styels.

Still i am hoping for General music to surprise me.

#175303 - 03/26/06 11:28 AM Re: Lionstracs revisited (Mediastation Strikes Back)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bachus
Follow this link to find out about the OAS 7 Hardware Saga, which has now been resolved. http://www.yourhobby.nl/forumorgel/viewtopic.php?t=1393&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Have a look at this site http://www.tornado-music.de/videomain.html to see another Controller Software option. (For Demos follow the Solitaire link, as the rest of the Demos are Rubbish)

Bill

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online