SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#174806 - 09/18/06 10:10 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yeah, I guess it's the inclusion of the lyrics that is the problem. Maybe if they put an 'x' in front of each word it would thwart the legal infringement of lyric copyright.

#174807 - 09/19/06 06:48 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Yeah, I guess it's the inclusion of the lyrics that is the problem. Maybe if they put an 'x' in front of each word it would thwart the legal infringement of lyric copyright.

Maybe "thwarting" isn't the point. Why go to the effort of creating such a site in the first place? I doubt it's for the benefit of all mankind - it's probably to drive hits to a banner-laden website or some other for-profit scheme. I hardly think of people who create music distribution websites of any kind as some kind of benefactors for anyone other than themselves. If anyone is going to post tabs or lyrics or MP3 files or whatever of popular music it should be the artists and/or the publishers who created it because it's their property - and I don't see them doing that so noone else should either. Copy the "lyrics" from Time Magazine onto your website without permission (even with an "X" in front of each word) and the question of infringement isn't so vague.

We are musicians - the rules are in place to protect what we create, without which artists could not profit from their work and therefore there'd be no reason for the work to exist. I see other forums where musicians are constantly dissing copyrights like it was some evil empire thing (some of the posts here sound like that too). If anyone should be supporting copyrights, it's us, and our example is what others follow.

#174808 - 09/19/06 02:12 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Not everyone performs for money but for the satisfaction of giving enjoyment to others
and themselves.

I acknowledge there must be protection for those who perform and write music or a living
but who really make the big bucks.

I get anoyed when I want a particular piece of music only to be told it is not in stock or out of print.

I feel it is then legitimate to souce it from somewhere else perhaps not legally but justified.

Cousin Ken

#174809 - 09/19/06 07:19 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
to add to esh's post i reckon it would be super if artists would post tabs and such on their own websites and charged a fee for download..i would be happy to pay for tabs,chord progressions, lyrics packages for songs...as long as it was a reasonable charge..for example out here we have bigpond charging around 1.90 to d'load an mp3, to download a tab i would be happy to pay the same as long as the artist gets their fair share...BUT you dont see too many artists actually doing it though....would others be happy to pay for d/loading tabs etc etc?
dennis

#174810 - 09/20/06 05:52 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Some artists reserve all their rights and do not allow their song to be re-recorded or printed or published in any form other than the original recording. Each area of publishing is separately negotiable, often with different companies. If a song is not available in tab or sheet music or whatever form you are looking for it's probably because the artist or their representatives have simply not struck a suitable deal in that area yet, or a deal was struck for a limited time and then it expired. That's business.

#174811 - 09/20/06 06:03 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
Some artists reserve all their rights and do not allow their song to be re-recorded...

It is my understanding that once a song has been recorded and offered for sale and distribution, anyone can cover that song (record it). The original copyright holder cannot prevent them from covering it as long as the copyright holder is paid royalties due. I think a compulsory license can be had for $80? That figure sticks in my mind. For up to 1,000 copies? It may have changed, since the mechanical rate is now 9.1 cents per unit; it used to be 8 cents.

Regarding an artist offering chords/tab for sale, that sounds wonderful but I wonder if it would be good or bad. Some might feel you owe it to them, haha. I have no clue if it would be worthwhile but yeah, there have been times I guess I would pay a small amount for finding out how the original artist played a song. Interesting idea.

I have a book of Beatles chords/lyrics and geez, whatever I paid... I just looked and yep, the tag is on it... $20... it has been darn sure worth it! I have enjoyed many an hour of playing / learning those songs. Wonderfully accurate book, seems to me. By Rikky Rooksby.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#174812 - 09/20/06 06:50 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
Maybe "thwarting" isn't the point. Why go to the effort of creating such a site in the first place? I doubt it's for the benefit of all mankind - it's probably to drive hits to a banner-laden website or some other for-profit scheme. I hardly think of people who create music distribution websites of any kind as some kind of benefactors for anyone other than themselves.

Bottom line is still the same benefactors, banners or not, the music is made available to the public.

If anyone is going to post tabs or lyrics or MP3 files or whatever of popular music it should be the artists and/or the publishers who created it because it's their property - and I don't see them doing that so noone else should either.

Perhaps they should if the point is to get the artist's music out there. The demand is obviously there.

We are musicians - the rules are in place to protect what we create, without which artists could not profit from their work and therefore there'd be no reason for the work to exist.

Art for art's sake we're not all still in it for money, some of us are for the love of it and the creation aspect.

I see other forums where musicians are constantly dissing copyrights like it was some evil empire thing (some of the posts here sound like that too). If anyone should be supporting copyrights, it's us, and our example is what others follow.

I whole heartedly do, just not in all forms and in all ways. It's not a B&W line as I see it, there is a gray area as well, dependant on the circumstances.

with respect for your opinion as well,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#174813 - 09/20/06 07:57 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Up here in Canuklehead land, we've got SOCAN.
Basically a society set up by has-been performers, receiving government funding to "collect" fees for music played, those fees, supposedly being distributed to the artists & writers.
Problem is, as an example, a Dentist's office, can't play, let's say, an Elton John cd, without paying fees to SOCAN.

I spoke with someone from the SOCAN office quite a while back when this sh*t hit the fan.

I questioned where the fees collected would be going to. "To SOCAN members", I was told.

Be assured, Elton John is not a member of SOCAN, so any monies paid by the dentist's office, are not going to be heading Elton's way, rather, these fees being collected are supposedly being distributed to SOCAN members, many of which, particularly out on the west coast, are shrubs, writing songs about clouds, and driftwood. Songs that are never gonna get air play. Songs that nobody (except the writer and people tied to trees with flowers in their hair) would listen to.

We did a gig once at a local Yacht Club. The venue was given a fee choice by SOCAN. $29 if there was no dancing. $58 if there was dancing. Go figure that one out.

The yacht club paid the fee, along with a submission of a matching "administation" fee by the yacht club.

I agree the advancement of the internet has made music more readily available to everyone.

If artists want to make money with their music, they must be prepared to get out and promote it, by way of concerts, etc.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/...b9-95256c613824

------------------
...shboom

#174814 - 09/20/06 01:26 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I absolutly agree with the Canadian artists.

Cousin Ken

#174815 - 09/20/06 03:51 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
... Now they're pissed, and they're using the court system to try and cash in on their recent losses. What a crock!

For me, I'll keep on doing what I've done for most of my life--freely share the knowledge I've gained from a host of sources and if the bastards want to sue me--go right ahead.
I'm always ready for a good fight with the bureaucrats.
Cheers,
Gary

Gary, THATS THE SPIRIT!!!
but I think you ought to start practicing tunes like Jailhouse Rock and The Chain Gang

If I set up my own website and I have mp3 recordings of me playing popular songs (most likely copyrighted) on my arranger ... Would I be in violation?
How do you guys and gals with websites, and/or links into other sites, do this and stay out of trouble?

"Inquiring minds want to know".
(is that last statement of mine copyrighted?
if so, let me know and i will edit it out, unless Scott talked Nigel into removing the edit feature )

Ahhh, its still working.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 09-20-2006).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online