SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#174816 - 09/21/06 06:45 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Remember the controversey George Harrison got into with "My Sweet Lord"? The claim was that it was an infringement on another previous top 40 tune. Since changes to many tunes are similar, I believe it's up to the legal folks, who, sometimes are not trained in music, to decide copyright infringements. Some claims have been a little hard to proove.

I believe the copyright includes the lead line, words and changes.

Generally, ASCAP and BMI go after folks who profit from public performance of copywritten materials (Clubs, restaurants, office buildings, professional service locations, etc). Can't imagine that they would persue nursing homes, family picnics, charity events, etc.

That would really be cold, legal or not!

Russ

#174817 - 09/21/06 10:45 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Remember the controversey George Harrison got into with "My Sweet Lord"? The claim was that it was an infringement on another previous top 40 tune. Since changes to many tunes are similar, I believe it's up to the legal folks, who, sometimes are not trained in music, to decide copyright infringements. Some claims have been a little hard to proove.

I believe the copyright includes the lead line, words and changes.

Russ

The tune was "He's so fine" by the chiffons,
here is a web site that lets you listen and read about the infringement.
http://www.benedict.com/Audio/Harrison/Harrison.aspx

#174818 - 09/22/06 05:27 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
If I set up my own website and I have mp3 recordings of me playing popular songs (most likely copyrighted) on my arranger... Would I be in violation?

As far as I know, yes. I have asked about this on other forums. A license for each song would be necessary. If anyone knows any different, advise me. Such as posting some mp3's of copyright material to allow prospective clients to hear songs you might play.

If you do it just for funsies and do not play for money, you could request a "gratis" license.

As for what are the odds of them coming after you, I have no idea. There are countless sites with copyrighted material. But it would be a drag if they did, wouldn't it. They are definitely getting more pro-active with suing.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#174819 - 09/22/06 06:24 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
They don[t have time or resources to check milions of little websites. I've posted songs on mine for 10 years. I suppose if they ever tell me to quit, I will, then change websites.
DonM

#174820 - 09/22/06 06:34 AM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Assuming that I am correct in saying that, legally, you need licenses, the risk, Don, is that they hit you with a "pay us $5,000 to settle or we go to court." Ask the mamas whose kids were downloading and hit with such demands. Ugh.

They have gone after people who download, they have gone after people who post lyrics and tabs, they have now gone after Youtube and Myspace. Who's next? One can also just wing it and buck the odds, since, like you say, there are countless sites with copyrighted songs.

Who can say but the music industry powers that be have gotten pretty agressive.

Of course, the sad thing is that so many can't afford to get licenses. It's not worth it to spend several hundred dollars to get licenses for most small-time musicians.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#174821 - 09/25/06 08:23 PM Re: Go figure, copyright infringement?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Regarding downloads (ok this is SLIGHTLY off topic - please bear with me all, and answer if you can) if I put up an original recording (on say, My Space, or one of those online Song Contests - specifically "American Idol Underground") can people steal my song, or is it "auto copywrited" once it's online.

Or do I need some heavy duty legal representation to protect my rights (and songs)?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online