SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174724 - 08/14/01 11:39 AM I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
korgy Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Hi folks,

I have had an arrangeur for 3 years(Korg I5S) and i just bought the Korg PA80.
Man it's pain to handle with.

I just want to choose a style, then change some of its tracks(drums, accomp..), choose a better sound for the KB track that matches
with it, choose the fills for my variations of style and then go to Backing sequence and TAPE EXACTLY WHAT I WAS PLAYING DURING STYLE PLAY.Hope it is clear to understand, guys.

My pa80 has big changes of volumes between what i have tweaked(kb track is very low, acc. style is too loud).
Even my fills are not recognised so when i press them the variations do not change !!

Have you been in the same troubles with your different KB?

Is it the same for the other KB?

I am thinking or selling my PA80 though it has very nice sounds, but to buy whiwh ???

KORGY

#174725 - 08/14/01 11:50 AM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You should be able to do everything you want in the Style Edit mode. There are various pages within this mode, and it even allows you to set the fills where they DO change variations automatically.
You can adjust sounds, volumes, effects, etc. Just be sure to save to a User location.
I no longer have the PA80 so can't help you with exact details, but this is one of the areas in which I thought the PA80 was very strong.
DonM

#174726 - 08/14/01 11:51 AM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think that a Technics Keyboard will be the ANSWER to your dreams. I have tried/owned others, but found Technics arranger keyboards BY FAR the easiest to navigate and operate for both LIVE playing and sequencing (including syle pattern recording/editing). I think the Technics OS is the best of all the arranger keyboards. Making parameter adjustments and editing is BOTH quick and very intuitive. On top of all this, the sounds/styles are also SUPERB ! The Technics KN6500 is the best, but even the older KN5000 (which I own) sounds great. - Scott

#174727 - 08/14/01 02:28 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Mikey Offline

Korgy, your problem can be solved by simply create an existing style and edit the tracks (drums, accomp). Just choose any style you want, hit 'record' button, and then choose 'current style'. Now you're in style editing menu. Here you can edit the style's variation/fillins/intro...for example, choose V1 (stands for variation 1) to edit its tracks.

Hit the 'trk.select' button to assign the instruments of your choice. Say you want to replace a piano with a electric piano, choose the track, hit the 'E.piano' and choose the instrument. Now hit the 'exit' button to bring you back to the previous page. Hit the 'trk.select button' again to go back to the style editing menu. Finally, hit record to save the edited style to any location you want. This is all in PA80's manual (9b-1). If you don't have it, you can download it from http://www.korgpa80.com/pa80/en/main.html

You can change the volume of your tracks in Mixer: Volume, page 1 of Song Edit Menu.

Mikey

#174728 - 08/14/01 03:08 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Korgy,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the PA80. After spending an hour with one at a local dealer with one I have to admit that I too found it a little unwieldy and not too suitable for those fast, on-the-fly changes required in a live situation.

For the past two years I have derived nothing but satisfaction and pleasure from my Korg i30. This thing is a delight and I sincerely recommend it to anyone, and, from what you say, I think that the i30 would be a good fit for you. True, it has been discontinued for over a year now but they do show up on ebay from time to time. (I really think Korg missed the boat by not marketing this keyboard enough and jumping in too quickly with the PA80.) Try to get one with the built-in hard drive and with OS 2.1.3 (downloadable from any Korg site, if you find one with an earlier OS). If you locate one without the hard drive, turn to ebay again for 1.2G laptop drives. You can install it yourself easily and the recommended model numbers, instructions for installation and generally friendly and knowlegable advice and discussion on all i30 topics can be had at the following:
http://www.ralfschiller.de/sta/korgi30.htm

I've never regretted my buying the i30 and it will have to be something stunning that appears before I consider anything else.

Happy kbd'ing,
Big Red

#174729 - 08/14/01 03:12 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Korgy,

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the PA80. After spending an hour with one at a local dealer with one I have to admit that I too found it a little unwieldy and not too suitable for those fast, on-the-fly changes required in a live situation.

For the past two years I have derived nothing but satisfaction and pleasure from my Korg i30. This thing is a delight and I sincerely recommend it to anyone, and, from what you say, I think that the i30 would be a good fit for you. True, it has been discontinued for over a year now but they do show up on ebay from time to time. (I really think Korg missed the boat by not marketing this keyboard enough and jumping in too quickly with the PA80.) Try to get one with the built-in hard drive and with OS 2.1.3 (downloadable from any Korg site, if you find one with an earlier OS). If you locate one without the hard drive, turn to ebay again for 1.2G laptop drives. You can install it yourself easily and the recommended model numbers, instructions for installation and generally friendly and knowlegable advice and discussion on all i30 topics can be had at the following:
http://www.ralfschiller.de/sta/korgi30.htm

I've never regretted my buying the i30 and it will have to be something stunning that appears before I consider anything else.

Happy kbd'ing,
Big Red

#174730 - 08/14/01 06:13 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great Forum--I liked Scotts answer--I doubt there is any KB as "user friendly" as Technics. My new 6500 is so well thought out and easy to us, and with Alex new "How Do I Do That?" instruction book, even a beginner should be able achive first class results, without agonizing registration disappointments. (only one man's opinion, of course) Jacobs

#174731 - 08/15/01 12:12 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Korgy
I like to ad one other KB that is very easy and intuitive to use: the 9000/Pro.
I do the things you mentioned all the time, without ever studying the manuel much.
I thing you should try both: the Technics and the Yamaha
Eric

#174732 - 08/15/01 01:45 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Korgy......All Arrange boards are easy after you have had them for a few months, you then begin to find your way around quickly regardless of what brand you buy....Scottyee says his Technics is easy only because he has had it a number of years and has become familiar with it...The PA80 is one of the best sounding keyboards available ( I am not biased because I don't have one) but just relax and spend time with the manual, we all have to go through this procedure. Stick with it, because you will be disappointed if you sell it without giving it a chance.

Graham UK

#174733 - 08/15/01 02:54 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Scottyee Offline

GrahamUK: I'm sorry but I have to COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your statement that "all arranger keyboards are easy (to use) after you have had them for a few months" and "Scottyee says his Technics is easy only because he has had it a number of years and has become familiar with it.... "

Before the Technics KN5000, I owned a Roland RA-800 arranger and even after several (frustrating) months of use, I STILL found the RA-800's operating system (button & screen sub menu navigation, sound/style creation-editing) pretty awkward (un-intuitive) to use. On the OTHER hand, I was able to quickly MASTER & navigate all of these SAME features on the Technics KN5000 within just a couple a days and felt confident taking the KN5000 out for gigging in less than a week.

I have owned Korg, Roland, and Yamaha keyboards, but my personal opinion, based on experience, is that the Technics OS (Operating System) is by FAR the most user friendly and intuitively designed, allowing me to concentrate on the creative aspect of 'making music'. And hey, isn't 'MAKING' music what this is all about? Technology is great but it should NEVER get in the way of making music. - Scott

#174734 - 08/15/01 03:13 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Scottyee Offline

One more important thing I want to mention...
It appears that all top arranger keyboards today have at least VERY good to excellent sounds & styles.

That being the case, I personally prefer a keyboard with a more user friendly & intuitive OS (operating system) over a keyboard which may have 'slightly' better sounds/styles. No matter 'how' good the sounds or styles are, if the keyboard's OS gets in the way of "creating music", you will completely LOSE your creative flow and inspiration.

#174735 - 08/16/01 02:01 PM Re: I need an easy KB to play with.Exist ?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Scotty,
I agree, to many buttons to push to get your
KB. to do what it to!
Nobby

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online