SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173998 - 03/05/03 05:02 PM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
Dnj Offline

I love Conch too, especially in a chowder with a little sherry !!

#173999 - 03/05/03 05:18 PM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thank you so much for everyone's input. For me, if someone were to sing along, I would usually follow the singer and observe his/her mood cues. This will allow me to play the appropriate accomp. And I only do this kind of invitation on a case to case basis only. Looks like the transpose function on my keyboard has greater importance now.

The only problem now would be when I am playing on an acoustic piano...

#174000 - 03/05/03 05:31 PM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
If a "guest singer" doesn't know their key...I have them sing to me off mic. I find their key and then bump it up 2 or 3 half steps. What they sing off mic is ALWAYS lower then what feels right to them when they start to project for the audience.

It works 90% of the time.

Eddie

#174001 - 03/06/03 10:22 PM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyle:
curious to know how many keys do you all master under your fingers? Or, what are the common / must-know keys to be able to cover any song requests?

Interesting topic. Though I was forced (prior piano schooling) to learn to play a song in ALL keys, I've found certain keys (for keyboard players) are easier to play in (fit the hand more naturally) than others.

In addition to C & G, I prefer playing in the flat keys: F, Bb, Eb, Ab, and even Db (C#), and Gb (F#) over the following sharp keys, like: E, A, & B.

The keys which I tend to play in most (as well as feel the most comfortable playing in), perhaps because (coincidently?) these keys seem to most often be the best keys for me vocally as well, are: Eb, Bb, F, C, and G.

Curios to hear from others on what your favorite prefered keys are. Btw: Contrary to popular belief , did you know that C is not the most natural (ergonimic to the shape of your hand) key to play in.

Scott

#174002 - 03/07/03 02:24 AM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Quote:
Curios to hear from others on what your favorite prefered keys are. Btw: Contrary to popular belief, did you know that C is not the most natural (ergonimic to the shape of your hand) key to play in.

Apart from C, F & G keys (being the easiest lot) my other preferred keys would be Eb. Eb is comfortable on the fingers to play in and I could go all over the keyboard with a good mixture of white and black keys - makes impressive showing to anyone looking on!

Scott,
I'm interested to know more about C key being the un-ergonomic key to play in. Is it because C key tend to 'force' all fingers on equal contour levels as compared to other flat keys which provides natural contour levels?

#174003 - 03/07/03 02:26 AM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
keyboarda1 Offline

Loc: U.K.
How interesting to find someone else with the conviction that some keys suit individual hands better than others. I've been laughed at for years because I only play in the dreaded 5 sharps. B. What a god-send the transpose button is ! Can I also say what a pleasure it is to read the posts on this forum. I have learnt so much.
Thanks to all.
Vic

------------------
vic

#174004 - 03/07/03 06:07 AM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
1) Thou shalt not use the transpose button

2) thou shalt learn all keys (minor and major)

3) thou shalt practice the hard keys

4) thou shalt learn the chords in all keys

5) thou shalt be able to play any from from any key even if the notes are on one key.

Seriously people, I am pianist. And it is not that I have to play songs with random keys. But so many times I have to accompany singers with songs I have never heard before. Improvisations is part of my skill.

#174005 - 03/07/03 09:56 AM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am learning piano accompaniment from this course http://www.pianobyear.com/index.htm and they suggest playing each lesson in C,G,F,Eb,Bb, and D. Looks quite similar to Scott's frequently used keys. I tend to favour G. I love th Bm chord.
Starkeeper

#174006 - 03/07/03 11:55 AM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
MarcK Offline

I'm not sure why, but my favorite key (most comfortable) is Bb major/G minor. It just feels right.

#174007 - 03/07/03 05:28 PM Re: Playing to audience's requests in any keys
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Since it is the easiest for me I use the transpose key. For the majority of songs I can transpose to the popular keys mentioned above on the fly. If I play by ear I can usually do most any key for backup using mostly the I, IV and V7 combination to cover most singers.
Recently I was backing up a singer and needed to change tempo (they were singing show tunes) while they held certain notes and sped through others. I was using the styles and playing along but they don't change tempo mid song easily (I'm on a PSR2000).
If I want to accompany someone like that is it best to just set it as piano or strings or something and forget about the drum and base keeping rhythm?

- Brian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online