SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#173536 - 10/22/03 10:49 PM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I finally got a chance to listen to the Pa1X Pro mp3's and I must say they are a lot better than the Video imo. Some of the guitars were outstanding some were just okay imo. The Brass sounded good. The Organs were real good. But this is what I noticed as an overall impression of the Pa1XPro's Voices. They didn't have the ummph! Or better put; they didn't have the definition, the natural 'fullness' of sound, the full spectrum of nuances in any given particular instrument, ie., a true realistic reproduction producing the full spectrum of the sound of an instrument. I didn't feel that the Pa1x/Pro produced that in its Voices. Although there were exceptions like the Distorted Guitar and a couple other Guitars, the Organ sound and the Electric Piano. But as an overall opinion the ummph! just wasn't there imo.

Maybe I will think differently after I've played one in person.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 10-22-2003).]

#173537 - 10/23/03 02:46 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
trtjazz Offline

Well don't want to start a my toy's better than your toy thing here. I have to agree with Mike (except about the piano) I thought the 1X in this demo sounded very thin in all the sounds. The piano he starts with I thought esspecially light and tinklie sounding for what I am assuming is supposed to be their "mother of all pianos."

What I do like about seeing these "live" things I think is it's more real world of what one would hear sitting X rows back as opposed to an ultimate conditions demo of a sound.

I thought the TC harmonizer must be their bottom end, because IMO doesn't even come close to the Voiceworks I have.

Lastly I think this guy needs to see Michael from Germany demo the Tyros.....this guys presentation although a good player what a yawn....Michael makes the Tyros look exciting. Perhaps just a cultural difference though.

Overall....I have to say I was not much impressed at all. Just my opinion.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-23-2003).]

#173538 - 10/23/03 06:31 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
61 note with speakers is not going to be available here in the USA.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Why is that George ? Does Korg feel that the market here just doesn't exist ? That kinda kills the whole deal for me. I'd want, but don't absolutely have to have the speakers, but I'm not toting around a 76 key board in my little Kia or in my truck. It seems this board ( the PA1x pro- 76 keys ) is going to be one of those hard to find items again too... My dealer, who has a large selection of keys, will not be stocking it. If I can't see it, I'm not buying it.. period

I'll be keeping the PA80 for now and hoping for a Yamaha with speakers that actually feels like something when I play it. If that doesn't happen, maybe I'll grab the Tyros later on and have an all yamaha lineup. Now that I have the Motif ES and I like the organs and drums and bass sounds on it, even the PA80 has become a little more expendable, but ideally I'd like to keep it and add a Tyros

The rest of the manufacturers haven't put up any offerings that will work for me.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 10-23-2003).]

#173539 - 10/23/03 06:34 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
dud Offline

Loc: israel
HI

I agree with tose that think that the sounds of the Pa1X are thin and are not more then average in the top keyboards' but I want to say a few comments.

first of all ther is a big difference in quality between the video demo that was made live and we get it in the net in a low level ' and the audio demo that was made in a "laboritory conditions " by the best professional ' and will never be heard like that in live playing in SOLO mode .(except the intros , fill in and internal styles).

secondly I think that Korg decided to make an instrument that is more for the pianobar players and not for hard music thefore the sounds in the Pa1X are FLAT and if someone wants them to be more vivid like in SOLTON or ROLAND I believe it can be done in edite mode (openning the filter)and/or by edding more presence (mor hi mid and treble) in the EQ inside the instrument or in the mixer .

and I want to add that ther is no such instrument that is good in ALL kind of sounds ' some are better in piano' some other in synth ' and so on... and I liked in the Pa1X very much the drums (much improvement on the PA80) 'basses and even the acoustic piano sounds different but very interesting ' I liked also the organ and the acoustic and electric gitars but I prefer those on the VA 76 'and the TYRUS not talking about the MOTIF.

also I red in the net that the 61 keys version will not have hard disk ' so where will i save all my samples?

dud

------------------
davidfle@hotmail.co.il

#173540 - 10/23/03 07:29 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Interesting. George Kaye is still saying that the 61 note with Speakers will NOT be sold in the USA. That means he has heard NO other word saying otherwise from his Korg Distributors. That means if you want one you have to purchase it from Synth Planet?? or some other European online Store or actually Fly the friendly skies of United, etc. If you either buy one from Synth Planet or Fly over and get one the Warranty is automatically voided.

Which leaves the 76 note version. 40 lbs. and if you place it in a carrying Case you're looking at probably up to 20 lbs. more for a soft Case and a Hard Case??? You're looking at 40 lbs. for the Pa1XPro plus 'at least' 20 lbs. more (with space age material I might add) and more realistically up to 40 lbs. more for a Hard Case. Now class, 40+40=80 lbs. [Hard Case] 40+20=60 lbs. [Soft Case]. Take extreme caution when transporting that $4,000 puppy in a Soft Case. And if you transport it in a Hard Case make sure that 1. You're under 40 years old, 2. Your Health insurance is active and up to date, and 3. Your Gigs are all performed in One Story buildings and you never have to Lug it up any flights of stairs.

Now for the Studio there's no problem. But Gigging? I hope you're taking your Vitamins, exercising at the Gym regularly, aren't a Smoker, in good health otherwise, have had no back problems in the past, and don't mind the inconvenience of lugging up to 80 lbs. around for hours at a time.

I can't wait until they start making top of the line 76 note Arrangers, etc., that weigh in at no more than 25 lbs. Impossible you say? Take a look at the Casio WK series Keyboards. It can be done. But they need to make high end Arrangers with a better composite material to make them more durable and at the same time still retain that light weight. Someday soon I hope.

Best regards,
Mike

#173541 - 10/23/03 08:14 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I can never really judge the sounds on a demo, or how the keyboard will work for me. I switched to the PA80 from the Yamaha PSR740 / MZ 2000 only after I played one. The first thing that struck me was that I liked the feel of the keys better than the PSR line ( MZ had a good key feel ..no I'm not trying to open up this can of worms again. just my preference and taste is all )
The next thing was that the styles sounded rich and the organs and electric pianos were much to my liking. The acoustic piano really wasn't, but the first two are more my staples. The bass and drums were strong too compared to the 740 / MZ. Then I saw all the editing power and I was sold.

Had I not had the chance to demo the board, I wouldn't have a PA80 now. I wouldn't ever consider buying something that I can't touch first , especially from overseas( exception to the Motif ES.. but coming from the Motif classic I just knew it was gonna be right.. and still I tried it before I bought it )

Today, the Tyros and even the PSr2k / 2100 have better sounds and styles than the Yamaha stuff I was used to. I just never felt comfortable with the key feel on the latter. Great sounds and features packed in though, and with the ES in my studio, the ability to morph and tweak sounds to my hearts content becomes less an issue on my arranger. I doubt I'll get to see a PA1x around here... and that's too bad because I really still do like my PA80 and would love to see it's successor, but when it comes to my next arranger purchase, the Tyros or what follows it seems to be the where I may have to go. Not that that's a bad thing.....

AJ

#173542 - 10/23/03 11:07 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Dnj Offline

Did anyone listen to the Video..& Mp3's thru a good PA system ? or on small pc speakers?

#173543 - 10/23/03 11:11 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Come on guys, you can not make a judgement from a few MP3's. I have spent 7 days standing aside the PA1X at the Keyboard Festival UK and this baby sings. Great keyboard feel, Mega type voicing that you can play live. Trumpet roll off with after touch, Trombone slide with after touch. Bass bending with after touch (just right for Uncle Dave) My main criticism is some of the touch screen pages can be a little over crowded meaning you have to be accurate with your touch in a live play situation. This can be over come by setting up your gigging requirement into the performance memories with just the press of 1 button. however the Korg Rep certainly managed to play fast numbers live whilst changing voices outside of the 4 one touch settings.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 10-24-2003).]

#173544 - 10/23/03 11:12 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Blazer Offline

Yes, I have Altec Lansing computer speakers.

Sounds pretty good!

#173545 - 10/23/03 11:17 AM Re: Pa1x video demo.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
61 note with speakers is not going to be available here in the USA.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Are you sure.
Click on this link. http://www.irishacts.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4901

Then read the third post.

Hope that helps.
James.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online