SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173513 - 05/14/05 06:30 AM Performing outdoors
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I have started to receive calls for performing outdoors, however I am reluctant to take the booking , due to the fact that the screen on the Yamaha PSR3000 and other PSRs are impossible to read outside.

One solution may be to use the "video" out on the PSR3000, but this requires more equipment and setup.

I was wondering how other performers have handled the situation. I have seen numerous photos of Scott Yee performing outdoors, and was wondering if Scott could shed some light (no pun intended) on how he has overcome this problem.

Regards,

Jerry

#173514 - 05/14/05 06:34 AM Re: Performing outdoors
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a two-tiered keyboard stand. I put the keyboard on the bottom tier. I made a board to fit on the top tier. I place the laptop or whatever on it. The board shades the keyboard.
The laptop is another matter. I usually just do everything from memory and don't try to use it.
I have an outdoor job in 2 hours. I'll take a photo when I get set up.
I know Gary D. made a little shade for his. I once did that too, with some cardboard and tape. However you do it, you have to shade the display.
DonM

#173515 - 05/14/05 07:19 AM Re: Performing outdoors
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I played a party one week ago and had a helluva time. I've wondered how people have handled it.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#173516 - 05/14/05 08:36 AM Re: Performing outdoors
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Scott Yee uses a Tyros and the screen is very different...it adjusts to suit your needs...
Tony Rome

#173517 - 05/14/05 08:40 AM Re: Performing outdoors
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
One thing I usually do is take along a market umbrella and stand to make sure I can have some semblance of shade. Over the couse of an afternoon, it means I'll have to move it a few times to keep the shade over the keyboard. (I don't mind haveing the shade on me, either.) In addition I'm made a simple hood for the display to enable me to read it in spite of the ambient light. Then the remaining problem I've had to deal with is not being able to see the red LED's above my various switches on my particular board (Ketron MS60). That's something I've just had to learn to live with.
Paul C.

#173518 - 05/14/05 02:48 PM Re: Performing outdoors
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, there is currently no daylight or sunlight viewable keyboard display available. And, that video out will not do you any good either--you cannot see a TV screen when the sun hits it either.

The only option is to shade the screen, either by constucting a hood or some other means. In this respect, all keyboard manufacturers, not just Yamaha, have really dropped the ball. The cost of a sunlight viewable display is not very much at all, and for the past 20 years the marine industry has been using them for depth finders--including the color displays. The tyros display is somewhat brighter than the PSR-3000, but it cannot be seen outdoors in direct sunlight or even in bright light conditions. Yes, you can tilt the screen, but when the sun hits it you're looking at a blank screen.

If you construct a hood, use heavy, black construction paper which is nothing more than light cardboard. This will absorb most reflective light from outside sources. The one I made looked like an air scoop for a souped up car and Velcro'd around the screen's edge so I could still reach the adjacent buttons.

The other problem is the indicator lights are also invisible in daylight conditions, so you cannot determine which is activated--DUMB DESIGN WORK!

Fortunately, the new colors (shades of silver) keep the board a lot cooler in direct sunlight, and while some folks don't think anything other black looks professional, I personally don't believe this is the case.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173519 - 05/14/05 04:52 PM Re: Performing outdoors
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been playing summers outside at the same restaurant for 13 years. Start at 7:00 PM. Never had a problem with scren visibility with Solton/Ketron products. There is a large tree nearby, which I suspect cuts just enough direct sunlight to make things work.

Did have a big problem last year playing several company parties outdoors. Since I could shade the screen with my hand, I know an umbrella or other shade would work fine.

Russ

#173520 - 05/14/05 04:58 PM Re: Performing outdoors
The Accordionist Offline

This may sound a little arrogant, but I won't accept any more outdoor gigs.

My acoustic accordion is just too expensive and fragile to have 100 degree (Southern California) sun hit it for four hours.

My last gig about killed me. I had absolutely no shade. It was a pool party and they seriously had me under a patio that had open slats. It was unbearable. I wiped the sweat off my accordion every five minutes.

I vowed from that day on it would be indoor gigs or restaurants only. No outdoor patios.

Again, this is just a hobby for me, and the income derived from it is discretionary and I do have the liberty of refusing jobs. If it was my full-time vocation I might think otherwise (like purchasing a $1000 cheap accordion for outdoor gigs only).

Tommy

#173521 - 05/14/05 09:56 PM Re: Performing outdoors
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
I bought a $200 EZUp 10'x10' tent at Costco. Not only does it keep you dry and cooler, but you can put your logo all over it for advertising. Takes 2 minutes to put it up.
Be careful about the morning dew setting in if you do a late late party, though! No tent will help that. http://www.ezup.com/

#173522 - 05/15/05 07:09 AM Re: Performing outdoors
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The other problem is the indicator lights are also invisible in daylight conditions, so you cannot determine which is activated--DUMB DESIGN WORK!

Hey Gary, what design feature could fix it? A depressed button or something like that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online