SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#173473 - 03/23/03 05:05 PM VS880
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
I have a roland vs880 recorder,and today I purchased a roland cd rack. The Idea is that I can archive recording data to cd so that I don't have to lose them every time the zip is full. The cd rack was a store demo and was discounted substantially. Problem is there is no user manual or scis cable, or software.The sales rep said I could download from Roland,but they have nothing pertaining to the unit on there web site.I am not sure of the scis cable I need and I am at a loss asto where I can download software or user manual. can any body help? I have looked on the web for hours,and even the vs 880 forum has not come up with any info. THANKS

#173474 - 03/23/03 05:35 PM Re: VS880
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Terry,

You will not only need an scsi cable, but additionally, you will need to install a scsi board in your compuer. Added to that, you'll need to find the appropriate driver for the CD rack and have the necessary software to burn the CD such as Nero Burn or something similar. Also, is the CD rack an external CDRW? If it's not, it will not perform the task you wish. All of these things are important.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173475 - 03/23/03 10:12 PM Re: VS880
TERRYC Offline

Thanks Gary.It seems that the sales people at Sam Ash will tell you anything to get a sale.I raised all of these concerns before buying,and was told there would be no problems.I don't know if I can get my money back,or if they'll just give me a credit towards something else.I may have to keep digging until I can get this thing working.Anyway thanks again for the promt reply. Terry

#173476 - 03/24/03 03:58 AM Re: VS880
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tryy C,
You don't need any software to connect the CD unit. VS series are set up already. All you need is the right connection SCSI connector .... probably available at most computer superstores, like Comp-USA, or Best Buy.
Gary ... I think you misunderstood this situation - it's not tied to a pc at all. The VS880 is a stand alone unit made by Roland. It's an 8 track digital unit with tons of features.

#173477 - 03/24/03 07:23 AM Re: VS880
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hello Terry,

I didn't find a manual yet but I did find a site (zzounds.com) that said the CD-Rack comes with a C50 SCSI cable.

Here's a picture of a C50 cable.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1306&sku=28060

Do those connectors look like what's on the back of your units?

Once in a while you'll run into a sites that sell stuff and include the manauls in .pdf form.

You might be surfin' for a while...

Or you could call Roland's Product Support department at 323-890-3741.

Hope this helps.

mike

#173478 - 03/24/03 07:39 AM Re: VS880
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't used a VS-880 in a very long time, but I remember that the CD software for backing up data and/or burning CD's is part of the VS-880 OS. You have to have one of the later versions to do this. Sorry I don't remember more but the VS880 forums should know all about that.

#173479 - 03/24/03 12:18 PM Re: VS880
Roel Offline

Hi Terry,

The best decision I made while owning the VS880 is to replace the original (540 Mb) HDD with a 6 Gb HDD type. (2.5". brand: Toshiba)
6 Gigabytes is the VS880's maximum HDD drive size. (3 partitions of 2 Gb)

This is realy huge and you can store many, many hours of recording. A ZIP drive max. is 100 Mb ?

UD is right, the only thing you need is a SCSI cable... in fact you already own one : The ZIP drive cable

You can chain SCSI devices but be sure every device is set to a 'free' device-number. I think the internal drive is set to #1, the highest number is #7.

Roel

#173480 - 03/24/03 10:24 PM Re: VS880
TERRYC Offline

Many thanks to all of you for your imput and help.I'm afraid Ihad only read one reply until now[1:10]am.I called the Roland people When I got up this morning,and was told much of the same,but with an added terminator cable and the need to download os files and install them by way of midi seqences. Right after that a friend of mine came over to do some vocals on a cd I'm doing for him.He was so impressed with the qulity of the vs880 that he asked if I would sell it to him.I did ,for a very good price for him,and this afternoon I returned the cd rack for a full refund which I am putting towards a new Korg d16 recorder with all the bells and whistles. I now,having turned on my computer and read the replies,feel a little guilty for wasting all of your time. Please accept my apology. From now on I will wait at leased 24 hours before changing direction in mid stream. thanks once again Terry.

#173481 - 03/25/03 04:07 AM Re: VS880
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Terry,
You'll LOVE the D16. It's a complete production station and will make great CD's. Good luck with it .... you didn't waste anyone's time. This is how we all learn.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online