SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173177 - 10/18/03 07:09 AM Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Remember when I mentioned the CD compilation I was contracted to produce and I didn't know the exact details to obtain the proper licensing? Well, the nitty gritty is this: the license for using the masters of the songs made it totally out of reach for my client, so he decided to let ME record the songs (live), so we only have to obtain mechanical licenses from the publishers. This is a high profile salon in Princeton NJ, and he can't afford any legal issues when his face & business is on the cover !

This has forced me to spend some serious time on the Tyros as a studio piece. The verdict? Well, I am more and more surprised each day at the quiet and quality of the sounds. I still hate the keys, and I flub a note here and there because of the smaller spacing, but as far as sound goes.....it's really coming along.

After the weekend, I'll see if I can put some of the tracks up on my website to spotlight this project. It's almost a live rendition...I play the arranger (or bass) while I play chords and sing. Then, I RE-do the vocals so the mic doesn't pick up the sound of the keys banging. I add a solo instrument and lay some string pads down and it's done. The basic arrangement can be done in one take, but I like having a second hand to operate the bender for more realism in horn sounds.
None of my original feelings (about playing out) have changed re: the TY, but in the studio .... it's really doing a nice job. I have a Roland JV1080 with all for slots full of exp boards, and the combination of the two is hard to beat. I have tons of "bread & butter" sounds that record like a dream, and make life so easy as an engineer.

I have almost all the tracks ready, so I'll get a few samples up as soon as I can.

#173178 - 10/18/03 08:34 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
UD,

I'm anxious to hear some cuts from this project. When the Tyros was released we were hoping for digital outputs for more quieter recording. Are you recording straight from the output jacks of the Ty?

One of the things I love about the Ty is the sound engine. What I do is use my Korg Triton as a MIDI controller (with it's larger size keys) and I dedicate R3 on the Ty (Midi channel 3) for Korg patch changes during live gigs. This gives me a full 76 keys to noodle on if I so desire.

Works like a charm....

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#173179 - 10/18/03 08:54 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't know about this stuff--sounds like another love/hate relationship to me! Love the sounds, navigation, engineering, but hate the keys. Hmmmmmmmmm!

Looking forward to the MP3,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173180 - 10/22/03 08:04 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Whats everyone got against the keys on the Tyros?

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#173181 - 10/22/03 08:19 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Simon. For me they have a cheap soft feel, not much better than the 2000\2100. I thought you previously had a 9000Pro in which case you know what I mean. Taking in the price of the Tyros they could have supplied a better quality keyboard (afterall you have paid for one) to the standards of 9000Pro. & VA76. I play a Tyros twice a week and its a relief to get back to my 9KPro.
The new Korg 76 keys PA1X is excellent, that's not to say the 61 note version will be as good.

Graham

#173182 - 10/22/03 09:28 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Simon. For me they have a cheap soft feel, not much better than the 2000\2100.

Graham, I don't understand what you're talking about here, because I own (and play professionally) BOTH the Tyros & 2000, and think the Tyros keyboard action feels terrific, and without ab doubt, 'light years' ahead of the flimsy spongy feel of the 2000's. In addition, I've also played and performed on a 9000pro on more than several occasions, and though I certainly enjoy playing its 76 keys, think its keyboard action & feel only 'slightly better' than the Tyros. The Tyros and PSR2100 were designed for lightweight portabibility (27 lbs & 24 lbs respectively) while the 9000pro offers more keyboard real estate and a lot more weight (50 lbs).

In terms of sound & styles, I definitely notice substantial improvements in these areas (over the 9000pro) on both the Tyros and the PSR2100/2000, as both the Tyros & PSR2100 incorporate newer sound technology as well as provide a much higher (1,984 ppq) style pattern 'note resolution' resulting in more dramatic 'life like' sounding styles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
I play a Tyros twice a week and its a relief to get back to my 9KPro.

I think this may be more due to the fact that you're just more accustomed (and feel more at home) with your OWN keyboard's feel.

Scott

#173183 - 10/22/03 10:20 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Dnj Offline

Its a persoanl playing issue that cannot be resolved, everyone prefers something different for the way they play. I like the 2k feel now..But didn't in the begining...and I have professionaly played & owned many of the major brand keyboards and I just adapt to whatever I'm playing.
The talent is inside you!

As Uncle dave used to tell me ...
"Just Get Out tThere & Freakin Play it!"

It was the best advice I ever got!!

#173184 - 10/22/03 11:35 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I never say "freakin" ....

#173185 - 10/22/03 11:43 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I never say "freakin" ....

Never? You just did.

#173186 - 10/22/03 11:56 AM Re: Tyros in the studio (under the microscope!)
Dnj Offline

Dave ..your probably right........

"Freakin" is a Brooklyn Thing!!!!

Forgettabouttit!!

"How YA Doin?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online