SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#173068 - 09/23/03 08:15 PM Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Just wondering about your experiences,models used, etc?

#173069 - 09/23/03 09:27 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
KN_Fan Offline

I don't use them- but I only can think of three major brands: Samson, Shure and Nady. The first two would the first choices I think.

#173070 - 09/23/03 09:42 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny...
Check out http://www.brookmaysmusic.com/prod_disp.asp?itemnum=ATW0327

Mine is wired...but I have been using Audio Technics headset mic for last couple of years and really like it. The headband on mine broke and they sent me the replacment part free.

Pros: Lightweight, freedom of movement, one less stand to carry.
Con: You have to adjust you singing dynamics since you can't move closer or away from it.

I don't have a need for the wireless model..but I can tell you the wired model works very well for me.
Eddie

#173071 - 09/23/03 11:37 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
I use my Shure Wirless when i play larger gigs. It's the freedom of being able to move around sometimes when for instance playing the Electric Slide and joining in with the crowd. They seem to appriciate the "hands on " approach. The quality sometime may not be the same as a wired, but to most ears they don't know the difference. Kina tough on nine volt batteries, so i bought four rechargables to cut the cost. Bob

#173072 - 09/24/03 06:30 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Well it's definitly more versatile to sing and roam......I'm gonna try one soon to see if I like it on stage..I also wonder about the singing technic vs a traditional method also?

thanx

#173073 - 09/24/03 06:52 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny, I think that if you turn on the compressor-limiter on the 2000, the headset would work just fine.
DonM

#173074 - 09/24/03 06:54 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just checked the purchase date on my Audio-Technica PRO8HEx headset mic and I began using it five years ago. While I owned lots of expensive handhelds, and the audio quality of them was considered somewhat better, the difference was marginal at best to trained ears. However, when it comes to doing live performances, IMO, the headset mic is the best attribute a performing musician could ever imagine.

Pros:
1. Freedom of movement
2. Excellent voice quality
3. No worries about brushing against the mic
4. Ability to maintain eye contact with audience
5. Ease of making keyboard changes on the fly without worrying where the mic is
6. Ability to set up for the next song while you're still singing another
7. When rigged wireless, interaction with the audience
8. No mic stand or boom to carry
9. Lightweight and compact
10.Inespensive (Mine cost me $125)

Cons:
1. Marginal difference in vocal quality
2. I can't think of another....

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173075 - 09/24/03 07:40 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Clif Anderson Offline

Crown (in addition to Shure, Nady, Samson, and Audio-Technica) also made wireless headset mics last time I checked.

#173076 - 09/24/03 07:50 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Donny...

When I had the pleasure of catching Eddie's (betweengigs) act earlier this year, he was using a headset mic and it sounded and looked very good/professional.

#173077 - 09/24/03 09:07 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Hi Boyz......

Gary is kind enought to allow me to try one of his Headset Mics very soon.....should be an interesting experience for sure. And I'll comment on it further then. Eddie what are your thoughts?

#173078 - 09/24/03 09:18 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
btweengigs Offline

Donny...
I think you will love it. After awhile you forget you are even wearing it. Another advantage: when a "would be" guest singer comes up...they can't grab the mic and chime in. (although I do keep a handheld nearby in case someone I know can sing wants to.)
Eddie

#173079 - 09/24/03 09:24 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Donny,

I started out with one, but I found out pretty quick that, vocally, I use a lot of dynamics when I sing. Funny thing is, if you had asked me this before I tried the headset, I would have answered differently. True, it is great to have the freedom of movement. It's just, for my application, I couldn't adjust to the dynamics changes (loud/soft, etc.) I would have had to acquire.

Angelo

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 09-24-2003).]

#173080 - 09/24/03 09:55 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Angelo,

Now we're getting into the thick of it...
we all sing differetly so this sems to be a very personal choice...which I want to explore so I can at least say I tried the head set...who knows I might like it....?
Then again I might not....
I have never sang on one before.

#173081 - 09/24/03 10:27 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
btweengigs Offline

Give it a chance Donny. If it doesn't work out you can always take it to Burger King and apply to work the drive up.
Eddie

#173082 - 09/24/03 10:36 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
"...would you like fries with that?"

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 09-24-2003).]

#173083 - 09/24/03 11:13 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I use the Shure headset mic with the band.
To echo many of the replies, the freedom is great. I'm also on wireless guitar, so I can go down into the audience at will. The only downside is some of the dynamics are lost, only in that you can't use the mic as an instrument, by that I mean backing away as required or positioning it to get the dynamics you want. Mine rides just below my lower lip, about 1/2" out. I do have to make the odd adjustment as to it's position, but all in all the freedom is definitely worth it. I use both an EV457 and a Beta 57 in my solo gigs.
Check out our band's website at waybacks.ca to see our promo video showing this headset mic in use.
..L

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 09-24-2003).]

#173084 - 09/24/03 11:40 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Where's the keyboard in your video?
Starkeeper

#173085 - 09/24/03 12:14 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have an inexpensive wireless headset for ya buddy.

#173086 - 09/24/03 12:44 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Us good looking guys don't use them...It messes up the hair!!

#173087 - 09/24/03 01:00 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Starkeeper: All keyboard work is done on either my guitars, through 2 pedal units and a stomp box combination, or Bert's Sax by way of a module he uses, which I know very little about.
I only use my synth and piano for my solo gigs.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 09-24-2003).]

#173088 - 09/24/03 02:08 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
travlin'easy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Us good looking guys don't use them...It messes up the hair!!

What hair? Last time I looked in the mirror, I saw a lot more scalp than I cared to see. Besides, if it's properly positioned it doesn't mess up your hair, at least not on the top of your head.

Cheers,

Gary

#173089 - 09/24/03 09:01 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The lead singer in my band is using a wireless in ear monitor and loves it. It provides clear monitoring even as he moves around the stage and no monitor feedback problems now. So the whole band loves it as well. I think he is using a Shure system. I can find out the model for you if you are interested.

#173090 - 09/26/03 02:05 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Thanx Nigel..

Wireless headsets seem to give the performer much more freedom on stage for sure....I'll be trying one myself..
Gary's loaner just came in the mail...
I'll report back afetr a few gigs this week.

Take care

#173091 - 09/26/03 02:11 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny: As a longtime hand held style mic enthusiast (accustomed to utilizing traditional mic performance techniques) as you are, I'm particularly anxious to get your assessment of adapting to a mic headset style unit. - Scott

#173092 - 09/27/03 03:20 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
No ones mentioned SENNHEISER.
They do excellent wireless headset + microphone.

Graham UK

#173093 - 09/27/03 06:11 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Graham..I have been using a Senn handheld 855 for 3 yrs and love the sound, they make a great Mics for sure.

Scott....I tried the Audio Technica Pro 8 hex last night that Gary sent up to me and I was pleasantly surpised at the results.
First you have to change the EQ settings vs your handheld a bit adding a little Low end & backing off the High end...but after that it sounds very close to my stage mic...
The feeling of Freedom it gives you while you sing, is incredible...I think you'll like it alot. As far as singing technic that wasn't a problem at all ...you just sing normaly...it's the freedom of being able to sing wherver you head is,.. up, down, to the side, etc.. thats what is different but in a good way, you dont have to be glued to the mic boom all the time....and I went one step further making it wireless using my Samson Airline mini reciever which I got from Uncle Daves Music http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=146&brandID=1 which plugs into the headset and clips on your belt..[only uses 1 AAA battery]...you dont even know its on your head....and No Mic boom to carry!!! try it!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-27-2003).]

#173094 - 09/27/03 11:01 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I dunno .... headsets still look like you should be teaching an aerobics class, unless it's the super teeny, almost invisible ones that the stars use, and they probably cost thousands.
I also think there is no need for wireless when you're tied to the kb anyway. I'd never just walk out in a crowd with a headset unless I was an emcee introducing a party .... or Monty Hall announcing a game show. Drummers should have one, but a front person (or soloist) should have the best sound available. The bargain headsets just don't cut it.

#173095 - 09/27/03 11:39 PM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
I used a crown cm11 mike with a shure reciever.A wonderful mike[same one Garth Brooks uses].Also used by Cher on her farewell tour.I was very happy with it unless I was doing a big ballad that needed lots of vocal dynamics and mike technique.It kind of defeated the pupose of hands free when I had to physically move the mike away from my mouth when attacking high notes. There are probably better set ups with some of the high end sennheisers etc. But most people consider the cm11 the industry standard for the price. Terry

#173096 - 09/28/03 06:17 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Dnj Offline

Well I tried a wireles at yesterdays gig...but realized its just not for me.
The sound is very decent with some EQ tweaking...the freedom is great also...
but due to my periodic chronic allergies during the year, I cough alott, sniffling etc, where I have to back off th mic to attend to it, blow my nose etc...
so using the wirelss headset although very good for some, won't be fitting into my shows. At least I gave it a shot....thanx for all the replies.

#173097 - 09/28/03 08:16 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
due to my periodic chronic allergies during the year, I cough alott, sniffling etc, where I have to back off th mic to attend to it, blow my nose etc...
so using the wirelss headset although very good for some, won't be fitting into my shows.

I would have thought that headset type mic units would include some kind of 'easy to activate' cut off switch to solve this problem. No?

Scott

#173098 - 09/28/03 08:30 AM Re: Who's using a wireless headset for vocals? pros/cons
travlin'easy Offline

I don't know of any headset mic with a handy on/off switch. When I was in radio and broadcasting the news, we had a "cough switch" on the news desk, but that was an add-on device and would only cut the mic while you were holding the switch down. As soon as you released the botton, the mic was back on. There was a capacitor across the switch to eliminate pop sounds when the switch was depressed.

Cheers,

Gary 8)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online