SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172909 - 08/03/06 06:51 PM You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
...and with these comments...

- You are a songwriter. Styles jockey your imagination and it spurs your creativity.

- You find styles here and there and when you find a good one, it's like Christmas.

- You note that 99% of the styles you listen to are not suitable for your needs.

- You note that supposedly, modern top-end keyboards have styles that shine on those keyboards.

- You are interested only in contemporary music in the country, pop, folk and rock genres.

Okay, $10,000. YOU MUST SPEND THE MONEY, there is no other option. Styles sounding good is the key... not features for live playing at gigs or other features... just styles that sound good. (If a good style otherwise sounds like crap on the board, your brain will dismiss it.)

What would you buy? Two keyboards? One keyboard and a ton of purchased styles? Three keyboards? Five keyboards? Ketron Midjay and four keyboards and some purchased styles? What? It's like it's a corporate budget. You WILL spend the $10,000 on SOMEthing. What would you buy and if it's keyboards, what models?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-04-2006).]

#172910 - 08/03/06 11:27 PM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
K.Boarder Offline

If I had nothing and I should make a start now I bought for the money which I could spend; The E80, the Tyros 2, the Midjay with all the Ketronstyles and as much as possible the best styles for these three from third parties.
And I should download the free Mart Weeho-styles and a few more.And I when I did not spend all the money I should buy a box of very good cigars too.

#172911 - 08/04/06 04:05 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Find three really good, but starving, musicians. If gigs are scarce in the area, you could probably rent their services for about a year, maybe longer if you furnish the booze. Nashville might be a good place to start. Failing that, try getting a Synthzone member that just went broke or was thrown out of the house by their spouse, for buying a top-end arranger keyboard. Plus, this approach will help musicians rather than Korg, Roland, or Yamaha's bottom line.

chas

#172912 - 08/04/06 04:17 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
If I had $10,000 I'd still keep my T2 and then give the rest to the guys who did the internal syles and IDC ones to create my own custom styles just for me. Then again I think I'd pocket the $10,000 do a runner and create the styles myself

#172913 - 08/04/06 04:48 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

What's an "IDC" style?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172914 - 08/04/06 04:57 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
It's the Internet Direct connection. There were about 50 new T2 styles available to purchase and download last time I checked on there. It can be accessed from inside the T2 by connecting it to your PC using the free wireless adapter.

#172915 - 08/04/06 05:17 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Over the years I have archived more than 35,000 styles, of which many are very good, some are exceptional and a select number are outstanding. Each time I came across a new batch of style files it was just like getting a new keyboard, but with two exceptions--I didn't have to shell out a dime, and I didn't have to spend weeks learning a new operating system.

Early on, when using keyboards that required carrying lots of floppy disks, accessing third party styles was a challenge to say the least. Now, with thousands of quality styles stored on the USB Thumb Drive access is easy, instantaneous, and there's never a question of what song goes with the style because they've been renamed to song titles.

My advice, keep the $10-grand and put it towards your retirement, which for most of us is not that far away. Sure, we would all like to continuine performing until the day we die, but the human body has the tendency to not allow this fantasty to become reality. Eventually, your voice gives out, timing falls off, and the equipment seems to double in weight for every year you work past age 65. Ain't it amazing how the mind keeps making appointments the body cannot keep!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#172916 - 08/04/06 06:19 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Gary, you're not playing fair.

I said "You WILL spend the $10,000 on SOMEthing." I have edited to now also say "YOU MUST SPEND THE MONEY, there is no other option."

So, if you care to respond, thanks. If not, thanks anyway!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#172917 - 08/04/06 07:11 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
This is easy... several Yamaha CVP models cost $10k or more. They are fully-functional arrangers and you get a nice grand piano as a bonus.

#172918 - 08/04/06 07:17 AM Re: You have $10,000 to spend on arrangers...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK. If I have to spend $10-grand, I'm with Esh on this one! A Yamaha CVP would be my choice as well. I played one in the Florida Keys several years ago and loved it. It ain't portable, but what the hell, everyone needs a fantasy once in a while.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online