SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#172849 - 10/31/05 12:45 AM Re: Genesys advice
to the genesys Offline

Eric said: “Now with all the arrangers out there look at the posts each one receives and how many of each are played.

Besides from the new T2 hype (
), you hear a lot about G70, PAX-1, SD-1, etc, but very few posts, requests etc regarding the Genesys. I wonder why.
Yes; and don't tell me it has to do with marketing, beacause all forums and the internet take care of that.”

Actually it is because of marketing and most persons not having played the Genesys. If a number of persons have not played the Genesys, then how can they comment on it on the Internet and on the Forums?

Dave said: "when a thread is created regarding questions about a specific brand, it is not cool for someone to post in that thread
suggesting another brand when that person is in the business, whether at the retail level or from the manufacturer side"

That struck me as strange that a retail dealer would publicly openly promote one brand over the other especially if he sells both of them. I could see it being done privately one on one to a customer that way it would not affect his sales drastically of either keyboard. If it were a post comparing the strengths and weaknesses of both keyboards that would have been convincing. But a post that implies that this one is “all bad” and the other one is “good” gives the impression that there is much much more to gain on the retailer’s end by getting a sale from the “good keyboard”.

Regarding polyphony, I think most people get it wrong. It is not the numbers you look at … 64, 128 or what ever, it is whether or not you notice drop-outs of notes. Different manufacturers allocate notes differently and it also depend on how the sounds are sampled.
If you press 1 note on a particular keyboard bran that may use 2 notes of polyphony. However, if you press that same note on another keyboard brand that may use 4 notes of polyphony. So the test is not how much notes of polyphony the keyboard uses, 62… 64 ….128, but how the notes are allocated and sampled and whether or not you notice drop-outs.

With getting a keyboard, it is really best to try the keyboard out for your self. As this post has demonstrated different persons have different opinions and possible agendas.
Getting advice on forums is good, but can not be depended on. If some one says that they were not impressed with a particular keyboard that depends on what they find important on a keyboard and what are their likes and dislikes. For example one person may look at how best the keyboard works for them and the amount of features a keyboard has and the ease of use of a keyboard. Another person may just listen to the first bank of sounds and from that say they don’t like the keyboard.

I hope you find what you are looking for in a keyboard. The fact that you are looking at the Genesys and asked just about the Genesys shows that there is something you see in the Genesys that no other keyboard manufacturer offers. If you wanted a comparison I am sure you would have asked for it.

All the best with what ever choice you make.

#172850 - 10/31/05 03:04 AM Re: Genesys advice
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
When people ask for advice on this forum regardless of any board i think that Nigel should insist that anyone who puts forward an opinion who is in the trade should have it stated in the column with their name ie, George Kaye instrument supplier,WDMcM genesys Manager,etc,because i think it is unfair if a manufacturer gives an opinion without stating his connection, for some newer members asking an opinion and someone in the business to say its the best board on the market,is liable to believe the pitch,and a lot of new members DO tend to buy on recommendations.One of the biggest problems with GEM is that they are not found in many shops,Gem should either place them in lots more stores or,if they are as good as they say ,then why don,t they offer 30 day money back guarrantee if not satisfied?George for all the years i have known him (from this site)has been honest and fair,who knows what he talks about ,has all of the major boards in his store to compare,if he says that a NEW TYROS 2 compares better and cheaper than a 4 year old model GENESYS ,i would tend to believe him.mike
ps, i noticed that WDMcM have their credentials at the bottom of their thread,but think it should be at the top.

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 10-31-2005).]

#172851 - 10/31/05 03:27 AM Re: Genesys advice
zuki Offline

I'd like to thank all for their comments. I hope to play the Genesys today. I have a very limited budget. The Genesys I have in mind to purchase is a fantastic deal, so the Tyros2 or other expensive new boards are out of the question. This is why I asked about the Genesys specifically in my original post (I should have been more clear - sorry). I acknowledge both Dave and George as honest contributors to this forum and value their opinions. We are all in this together and I believe we have good intentions by looking out for one another. Have a great day.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#172852 - 10/31/05 04:18 AM Re: Genesys advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
…..especially coming from a marketing manager for GEM.

Hi Eric,

Marketing manager? Not me. I would sooner eat a bag of worms than be labeled a marketing anything. Basically I do product support. I am proud to say that I couldn’t come up with most of the dribble that is released from marketing offices.

Quote:
Anyway we should go back to help our fellow forum member getting the best deal for his money that will make him happy for years to come.

I agree.

Quote:
If he gets a Genesys and is happy with it I'm happy too and we all did our job well.

I agree twice.

Have a great day!

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#172853 - 10/31/05 09:05 PM Re: Genesys advice
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
To the Genesys: "If some one says that they were not impressed with a particular keyboard that depends on what they find important on a keyboard and what are their likes and dislikes".

Well said, however, I judge (and I would think most people do) a KB by it's sounds "first" and of course as we have already established that can be very subjective.

Hey Dave:"Marketing manager? Not me."
My mistake It does clearly say:"Nat'l Product and Support Manager" at the bottom.

It looks like inspite of us drifting away from the main topic Zuki still found his way.

Eric

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online