SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172839 - 10/29/05 08:00 PM Genesys advice
zuki Offline

Hi all,

Thinking of buying this board. (2) owners have responded favorably, but really would like to hear from anyone who dares to relay their experience with the board. Any replies appreciated.

Thank you....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#172840 - 10/30/05 07:12 AM Re: Genesys advice
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi there.
I had a Genesys when it first came out quite a while ago. I'm not certain if the current model is newer at all or has been updated.
The sound and styles were quite good but nothing really stood out and grabbed you by the b***s to use that expression. I part exchanged it for a Ketron SD1 after 7 months or so. Also there doesn't seem to be as much support online as there are with Korg, Ketron, Roland and Yamaha. I could rarely find free styles for it and the ones I had to purchase were of a poor quality.
Shop around and go with whatever your taste in music is. I can remember it having some good latin sounds and rhythms though, but not a patch on the new Tyros 2

#172841 - 10/30/05 08:41 AM Re: Genesys advice
to the genesys Offline

The pianos on the Genesys are among the best as far as sample pianos on a keyboard go.

I hardly use the on board styles on any keyboard (I usually make my own) so I would not be the best person to give a review of the Genesys styles. As far as sounds and styles go, it really depends on your personal taste so I hope you will get a chance to hear the sounds and styles for yourself. One good thing is that you can import samples on to the Genesys so if you want a particular sound, you can get it off the Internet or a CD and load it on the Genesys and use it like you would use any other sound.

The Genesys is a well built keyboard. The buttons are laid out logically. It’s also easy to operate.

The key feel is good I just wish they had a portable 76 or 88 key version.

The audio recording is only one take (one stereo track). You can not do another take untop of the one you first did. There is no USB and no direct connectivity to the computer.

I like the fact that it has a fully functioning and editable 32 track sequencer.

It has a sampler that can come in handy. But they gave a measly 16mb sample memory but I think that is up to 32mb with the new Genesys s? The sad thing is that it is not expandable.

It has a floppy drive although with today’s technology, I don’t see why. It also has a hard drive but I don’t think you can replace it with another hard drive that has more gigs.

It has 1034 (or some number like that) memories (Those are the equivalent to the Yamaha registrations) where you can set up the keyboard the way you need it for every song you are going to play. It also has an advance song DB list (similar to the music finder on Yamaha) where you can organize mp3s, midis, Gem formatted songs, waves, CD songs all in a folder and in a specific order for different occasions.
However when switching between a song and a style, there is a break you can not change between a song and a style without a break.

One feature that I hear the new Genesys S has that the old one didn’t is the use of a multi pedal. You can assign some of the mostly used arranger functions to a 6 switch pedal. So, depending on what you program the pedals to do, you would not have to take your hands off of the keys to press a button for a fill or a intro or ending or vocal harmony on/off.

The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with the keyboard so I really hope you will have a chance to demo it.
It may or may not be for you the only way you will know is by trying it. Not every keyboard is for every one.

Those are just my opinions.

#172842 - 10/30/05 08:50 AM Re: Genesys advice
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Zuki

I recently sold my Genesys and got the Genesys XP module instead. The sounds and styles on the Genesys are very decent and the Big Band stuff is over the top. Ease of use and navigation are terrific to say the least. The XP is a big improvement in sounds and I was very happy with the sounds before.

My understanding is General Music will be offering an upgrade kit to make the Genesys compatible with the Genesys S and Genesys XP. The upgrade if my understanding is correct will include a 20 gig hard drive, updated, operating system, styles, mp3 files, midi files, and sounds. The number of sounds numbers over 1500 and no I've not checked them all out yet.

The new Brass, woodwinds, & String sounds especially do not take a back seat to anyone’s board IMHO. Reliability has been terrific, not a hiccup out of this rig.

Portability may be a concern the Genesys is no lightweight. You certainly could consider it as a complete Studio in itself.

Jerry

#172843 - 10/30/05 09:04 AM Re: Genesys advice
zuki Offline

Craig - thanks for the detailed info. Sounds as if you might have had it "too early" with some potential advancements forthcoming. I appreciate your comments.

to the Genesys - Thanks for info regarding future upgrades. Even with one take burning, I can envision setting up the entire songs on CD, minus one and voice and using that format for my midi songs. I'll ask Dave about the upgrades.

Jerry - You have been inspirational in your praise of the Genesys and keeping my spirits high for a potential purchase.

Hopefully I can check out the board somewhere locally next week and will keep all posted on my decision.

My best,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#172844 - 10/30/05 09:26 AM Re: Genesys advice
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Zuki,
If you are looking at a Genesys, you really do need to compare it to the Tyros2.
Tyros 2 costs less, has 128 note polyphony compared to 64 on Genesys.
Tyros 2 can have up to 1 GB sample memory compared to 32MB
You really have to hear the quality of the brass, sax and guitars sounds on the tyros2 to compare to the genesys
Both have hard disk recording when you put an inexpensive hard drive in the tyros2
User interface on the Tyros 2 compared to Genesys (only when you have used both will you understand the difference)
Genesis has a built in CD drive Yamaha has 2 USB to device ports to plug into many different drives and the Genesys does not has any USB ports.
Yamaha can plug directly into an RGB monitor, not the Genesys
The new Yamaha Tyros2 is now the closest keyboard in size, features, etc. to the GenesysPro keyboard. I would check out both before you make a decision.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#172845 - 10/30/05 03:55 PM Re: Genesys advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Zuki,
If you are looking at a Genesys, you really do need to compare it to the Tyros2.

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Quote:
Tyros 2 costs less, has 128 note polyphony compared to 64 on Genesys.

Many sound on the Tyros are sampled in stereo which means that when only one key is played, there are actually TWO voices used which brings things back to 64 note polyphony. I think zuki is savvy enough to understand this so I will stop there unless additional questions arise.

Quote:
Tyros 2 can have up to 1 GB sample memory compared to 32MB

I suppose if loading custom samples was that much of a necessity for the user, they would probably look for an instrument that is designed solely for sampling or more than likely use computer based sampling software. The fact is if the raw sound data is of decent quality and diversity, then the need to load additional samples is not as important.

Quote:
You really have to hear the quality of the brass, sax and guitars sounds on the tyros2 to compare to the genesys

The Genesys is a player’s instrument. What I mean is while there are certain presets that emphasize the particular articulation of specific instruments, (something that GEM products accomplished years before anyone else) the player is not barraged with sounds that are over articulated so to speak. Those types of sound presets do wonders for the salesman doing a demo since he can sound great without having to rely on talent that he may not have. But many times the player discovers that the additional articulation that is built into the sound is not a desired aspect in real use.

Quote:
Both have hard disk recording when you put an inexpensive hard drive in the tyros2

There is a BIG advantage to having a system that has all the hardware preinstalled. There is no chance of screwing something up during the installation of additional hardware. There is not the problem of the keyboard manufacturer placing blame on the hard drive manufacturer if something goes wrong. Etc.

Quote:
User interface on the Tyros 2 compared to Genesys (only when you have used both will you understand the difference)

The Genesys is as easy or hard to use as any other instrument out there. Period. It all depends on how much time you put into learning the functionality of the instrument you have and the availability of fast, reliable answers to questions when they arise.

Quote:
Genesis has a built in CD drive Yamaha has 2 USB to device ports to plug into many different drives and the Genesys does not has any USB ports.

The idea of using a memory stick is kind of nice for data transfer. Then again, a CD-RW is far less expensive. As far as connecting other external drives, the word external is kind of the important word here. It is MUCH nicer to have a CD burner that is built into the instrument and is an integral part of the whole system and not an add-on device.

Quote:
Yamaha can plug directly into an RGB monitor, not the Genesys

True. The Genesys unfortunately uses a MUCH more STANDARD video output in the way of an S Video and Composite Video output so ANY television can be used. “?”

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#172846 - 10/30/05 05:50 PM Re: Genesys advice
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Wow,

reading Dave's reply you would think that the Genesys is quite superior over the T2 and that George dosn't really know what he is talking about...... Mmmmmhhh.

But then again here you have a product manager for Generalmusic on one hand which I'm sure is unbiased towards GEM vs T2, and on the other hand you have George Kay who has both instruments side by side, doesn't care about a particular company, but cares about his customers satisfaction and what "THEY" need.

Now with all the arrangers out there look at the posts each one receives and how many of each are played.

Besides from the new T2 hype ( ), you hear a lot about G70, PAX-1, SD-1, etc, but very few posts, requests etc regarding the Genesys. I wonder why.
Yes; and don't tell me it has to do with marketing, beacause all forums and the internet take care of that.

As an informed consumer which has no interest whatsover in "sales" I can truly say that I was less then impressed when I did audition the Genesys.

PAX-1, SD-1, G70 and of course T2 (which I'll be getting soon ) are all impressed me to a certain degree.

That beeing said, I'll leave you with this advice: "Trust the force; listen to YOUR ears.. "

Eric

#172847 - 10/30/05 08:35 PM Re: Genesys advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
Wow,

reading Dave's reply you would think that the Genesys is quite superior over the T2 and that George dosn't really know what he is talking about...... Mmmmmhhh.

But then again here you have a product manager for Generalmusic on one hand which I'm sure is unbiased towards GEM vs T2, and on the other hand you have George Kay who has both instruments side by side, doesn't care about a particular company, but cares about his customers satisfaction and what "THEY" need.
…………..
That beeing said, I'll leave you with this advice: "Trust the force; listen to YOUR ears.. "

Eric

Hi Eric,

Here’s the thing, when a thread is created regarding questions about a specific brand, it is not cool for someone to post in that thread suggesting another brand when that person is in the business, whether at the retail level or from the manufacturer side. That would be like me jumping into a thread touting a GEM product when the topic is on Yamaha, Korg, etc. If the thread starter is asking for information/comparisons of other brands then that leaves the door open. Of course, it is different if a forum member wants to express their opinion on other brands as long as they are not involved with a manufacturer or in this case a retail store. I hope that makes sense.

Regarding your comment “the Genesys is quite superior over the T2”, well I didn’t really say that. The Tyros is a good instrument, as is the PA1X and G70. All of the models have their strong points.

Since you don’t know me and we have had no business relationship, you are unaware of my business practices. When a player asks my opinion on a product, I give them an honest answer. If we don’t have an instrument that will fill their needs, I am always happy to lend a hand in finding a product that will suit them. Just the other day on another forum, someone asked for suggestions on an arranger module. My response suggested checking out the Genesys XP as well as the MIDJAY and OMB software.

Sorry if you feel my post was out of order. But I felt like some kind of response was necessary.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
Nat'l Product and Support Manager
Generalmusic USA
GEM Community Forums

#172848 - 10/30/05 09:19 PM Re: Genesys advice
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Dave,

this is the "GENERAL" arranger keyboard forum?
Isn't it?

That means ALL brands are being discussed here.
Generally people that come here want to hear different oppinions.

I don't know if you read most threats or just the GEM threats, but it is comon practice that when you open up a public discussion on a plubic message board that you will get all kinds of responses.

Manny people came here asking about one board and ended up buying another because they were educated regarding all the options.
The same with equipment.

But I do see your point when you say:"when a thread is created regarding questions about a specific brand, it is not cool for someone to post in that thread suggesting another brand when that person is in the business, whether at the retail level or from the manufacturer side"

So far nobody that has asked a question has complaint about the responses.

As much as you felt the earlier post was out of place I felt that the way you handeled your post was a little out of place too, especially coming from a marketing manager for GEM.

Anyway we should go back to help our fellow forum member getting the best deal for his money that will make him happy for years to come.

If he gets a Genesys and is happy with it I'm happy too and we all did our job well.

I think we all agree on that.

Thanks for offering your help.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 10-30-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Eric, B (edited 10-30-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online