SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#172836 - 06/17/02 09:06 PM Re: Review of Genesys by George Kaye
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Steve,
When I spent some time last week, although only a few minutes with a Genesys, I quickly noticed the similarities between this new product and the previous WK8 keyboard. Many similarities in the two were noticable. This is not a bad thing at all, because the WK8 series is one of the easiest to use, and although it's sounds were not considered as good as some other keyboards, it's sequencer, style contruction for user styles, and editing capabilities are some of the finest found in all the different arrangers.
The Genesys is built around the previous WK8 technology. It has new packaging, new sounds and styles, new features and a more user friendly interface,yet I think it is using the WK8's processor as it's engine. So this is why there is only 64 voice polyphony.
The Korg PA80, the Ketron keyboards (SD1, X1 and all the new models) all feature 64 voice polyphony. For most musicians it is enough, however Generalmusic didn't choose to up the polyphony on this model.
Generalmusic has a new chip technology which is called "Drake" which is being used in their new Pro Mega 3 digital keyboard. This keyboard features over 300 notes of polyphony and I would think that with this new chip, the possibility of having an arranger keyboard with over 300 note polyphony is over the next horizon. I don't know how long this might be, but with this proprietary chip technology used by Generalmusic, we should see next generation products using this. I am very optomistic about how much Genesys will help many musicians create great music and with the help of the unboard CD burner, allow musicians to do their entire music production in one, easy to use product. For those needing 128 note polyphony, you must choose from those arranger products featuring this greater polyphony limit, but where 64 voices in enough, the Genesys represents the beginning of a new breed of arranger keyboards.
Mike,
to answer you questions about the sounds, you have to understand that I have always like the way the WK series sounded. I would say the only sounds that disappointed me had been the acoustic piano sounds, and in this catagory I would go from a 5 (scale of 1 - 10) to an 8 from what I remember from last week. This number is subject to change when I finally get my keyboards because I only had a few minutes with the keyboard and thought the grand piano sounded very good, but again I was rushed and didn't have a long enough time to experiment. I did listen to the strings and was quite impressed and also the brass sounded great. I hate to give a strong opinion until I really have a board in front of me and then I will be happy to share my impressions.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#172837 - 06/17/02 10:40 PM Re: Review of Genesys by George Kaye
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
George welcome back

I just want to say that you deserve a thanks for simply the time you spent typing all the above...not too many people would say so much.

Thanks

#172838 - 06/18/02 05:21 AM Re: Review of Genesys by George Kaye
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
George,

Thanks for responding. I do agree that GEM makes a fine keyboard (I really wanted an SK760 until I saw the 9000PRO) and I did try a WK8 before buying the Yamaha. Perhaps the 64-note polyphony would be fine in the Genesys but I have noticed drop-outs on other boards with only 64-note polyphony. Maybe I just play too many things at once but I like how it sounds. I'm anxious to read what you think after you get one in your store and have had time to play with it.

There are 3 music stores and one Baldwin piano store within a 1/2 mile of the mall but none of them have a good reputation and none carry top of the line arrangers, guitars, or amps. Their sales staffs are amateurs and rarely know much about the products they sell.

I doubt that any store in my area will carry one. There's not a single VA-7, Yamaha 9000, SD-1, KN6500, or SK760 in Canton (except for mine). The Technics store in town is still trying to sell KN4000's as the "top of the line" (no kidding). There's not one decent keyboard store within 50 miles. George, I keep telling you that a George Kaye Music Store in Belden Village Mall in Canton Ohio would make a fortune but alas it's just a dream . . .

Steve

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online