SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172812 - 01/26/03 02:36 PM PLG150VL
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
I did a search for this expansion board in our forum and didn't get a match. It's the Virtual Acoustic Plug-in Board. Are any of you using it with your 9000 Pro? How do you like it? I thought the sampled guitars sounded very authentic. But then again I only listened to Yamaha's propaganda mp3 at http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/audioclip/accessories/PLG150VL/audio/VL_Demo.mp3
ev

#172813 - 01/26/03 06:33 PM Re: PLG150VL
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have it. It's monophonic and the manual that came with it shows it's intended for people with midi wind controllers. That's why it's the cheapest of the PLG150 cards also. For me it's just not a good use of one of the two exp. ports to use this card. I didn't think they sound of it was that much better than the internal sounds on the 9000 Pro.

#172814 - 01/26/03 07:14 PM Re: PLG150VL
trtjazz Offline

Here's a surprise....I agree with Pro on this one. I bought the VL board for my Motif and I was very disappointed with it and not thought it worth it at all. The monophonic aspect of it I found to be very limiting also. I couldn't even slur notes one to the next with it. Boooo. This board gets a thumbs down from me.
jam on,
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#172815 - 01/28/03 06:02 AM Re: PLG150VL
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I have one coming for my Motif ( whenever Yamaha decides to send it to my dealer ).. so I'll post a comment when it arrives. I was supposed to get it last year but the music store ordered the AN150 analog modeling board by mistake. I kinda wanted that one too, so I just decided to purchase it anyway. It was a good choice too. I'm really moving toward a more electronic sound at least on some of what I'm doing now, and the AN150 fits the bill nicely. I've heard mixed comments about the VL board though, but I'm stil willing to give it a shot. I have two empty expansion slots and I'm happy with the Mo's internal piano sound. I'm not sure if I really want the DX or XG boards ( if anyone here has them how do you like them ? ), and I have enough drum sounds / samples to last two lifetimes, so the last slot may remain empty unless Yamaha comes out with something else that piques my curiosity.

AJ

#172816 - 01/28/03 08:34 AM Re: PLG150VL
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have the DX board, and it's pretty much a faithful replica of the original DX-7 minus the problems that the original DX-7 keyboard suffered from. It's compatible with DX patch editors and librarians and it can use DX-7 patches - there are zillions on the web. I like having this board and if you like that crisp-pristine-DX sound then this is the board to have (it's definitely better than an empty slot). Plus it'll give you a good balance of sounds to choose from with the analog board you have now.

#172817 - 01/28/03 09:55 AM Re: PLG150VL
zuki Offline

Hey ev,
Sounds like you're gearing up for you new Pro purchase! Best of luck on your plight. Enjoy the things to come. I have a lot of files, etc for the 9000 and can copy stuff for you, no charge.
Regards,
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#172818 - 01/28/03 10:16 AM Re: PLG150VL
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Pro,

Thanks for the answer. I never owned a DX 7 but a close friend has one and I liked it enough that I would eventually consider filling the empty slot with it, even though I have a myriad of DX7 samples. It would be a toss up between it and the XG board right now, but I was waiting ( perhaps in vain ) in the hope of seeing some new plug in boards too. On the other hand, short of natural disater or theft, The Motif isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and the more I play it and understand how it works, the more I like it, so I may just be a little patient for now.

Side note:.... for you guys who think the PA80 has a tough OS to learn hmmmm... try talkin' to the Motif ( I'm a bit of a tweeker and it still makes my head spin every once in a while )......? LOL ( but.. worth all of the effort for me now that I pretty much understand it )

AJ

#172819 - 01/28/03 04:55 PM Re: PLG150VL
Clif Anderson Offline

I have an MU100R which came with a PLG100VL installed. I think it is basically the same as the PLG150VL. It uses physical modeling synthesis. It's strength lies in mimicing the dynamics of an acoustic instrument--e.g., like the growl or squeal of a sax when controlled appropriately. It works best with a WX series instrument or at least with a breath controller. I had to set it up so that I could use aftertouch to control dynamics. I got some interesting sounds, but a wind controller would be better.

#172820 - 01/28/03 09:00 PM Re: PLG150VL
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Hey ev,
Sounds like you're gearing up for you new Pro purchase! Best of luck on your plight. Enjoy the things to come. I have a lot of files, etc for the 9000 and can copy stuff for you, no charge.
Regards,
Zuki

Thank you Zuki! Yes, I'm excited about the Pro! It should arrive Saturday. Our fellow synthzoner Richard Peck who I'm buying it from, said that he'd bring it by on his way to pick up his new Tyros from George Kaye. Sounds like I won't be getting the PLG150VL for it though after what I read here. It's a shame that Yamaha doesn't make a wider variety of expansion boards. Like Roland ... there many boards are available from tham and they keep on making new ones.
ev

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online