SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172745 - 08/09/05 06:38 AM midi jay vs sd1plus
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
So the midijay has a better sound engine than the SD1plus or is it the same engine with a higher playback freq?

Are there new styles and sounds on the MJ compared tp the SD1plus?

I have the G70 and PA1xpro, for on the fly play and adjustments, and overall play ability, the G70 wins hands down. The PA1xpro has great sounds but I think the styles and midi playback takes alot of work to get up there.

So I'm interested in selling the PA1xpro and possibly getting a Ketron for their great styles and sounds, but I don't want to buy old technology either.

#172746 - 08/09/05 07:24 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
Dnj Offline

#172747 - 08/09/05 08:07 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
And on the same site, if you go to the SD1 download page:

http://www.ketronus.com/downloads.html#sd1sounds

and scroll down to the bottom, you'll find a comparison between the Ketron models.

I was kinda surprised to read the sampling spec that Dreamer quoted in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
The great thing with the Midijay is that all the sounds and loops have been sampled at 44.1 kHz/16 bit; that's a big plus, compared with the SD1.

I would have thought that was a "norm" considering it's been the CD standard since the early 80's. I guess not. Does anybody know what the spec is of a board like the SD1 or Tyros or PA1X, etc.?

-mike

#172748 - 08/09/05 08:15 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
The PA1xpro has great sounds but I think the styles . . . takes alot of work to get up there.

Hi Frankieve: What specifically about the PA1Xpro styles are you referring to here?

I recall reading that the PA1xpro had initially suffered from 'sync-timing' issues when triggering fills or going from one style variation to another, but that this is now fixed, following an OS update. True?

One of the things I so appreciate with Yamaha arrangers, is their ability to smoothly syncronize user triggered fills & style variation transition changes, even if you don't trigger (via button or footpedal) the fill or style variation change exactly on the beat. Curious how the auto accomp fills & style variation transitions on the PA1Xpro, G70, and SD1 compare in this regard.

Scott

#172749 - 08/09/05 08:20 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Frank,
The Midjay comes with a rather limited supply of styles, BUT styles from the SD1 are readily available and the loading, storing and organizing is quick and easy, once you learn the OS.
The SD1 has as converter to use MS styles, while the Midjay does not. However converted styles are available everywhere.
DonM

#172750 - 08/09/05 08:28 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
frankieve Offline

Scott,

The fill/intro/ending is great on the G70, the PA1xpro has been fixed but I still feel/hear a change the is not as smooth as the G70 or Tyros when hitting fills.

When talking about the styles it just seems that they seem very empty or plain, I noticed that on some styles once I have changed some sounds and volume controls I can thicken them up, same as with the G70. Actually this weekend I did some on the fly adjustments of styles on the G70 and wow did this machine start to wake up, to the point where I'm looking forward to change some other styles

#172751 - 08/09/05 09:15 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Frank,
The Midjay comes with a rather limited supply of styles, BUT styles from the SD1 are readily available and the loading, storing and organizing is quick and easy, once you learn the OS.
The SD1 has as converter to use MS styles, while the Midjay does not. However converted styles are available everywhere.
DonM

Do you get the same sounds on the Midjay as you do on the SD1? I don't know why I was under the impression that the midjay had a very small number of sounds.

#172752 - 08/09/05 09:25 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Really the only solo sounds I tried were the piano and a couple of guitars. They sounded just like the SD1 to me. My friend Hank is the one that has it, and he uses it strictly for the styles, midi and MP3 play. I can't tell that the styles or midi sound any different from the SD1, which I have.
DonM

#172753 - 08/11/05 04:30 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Frankieve,

I'm very curious as to your answer to this question....

Which keyboard out of the BIG three do you like the best; G70, Pax1pro, Tyros? And Why?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#172754 - 08/11/05 05:32 AM Re: midi jay vs sd1plus
frankieve Offline

Well, I think the problem is that the things I like may be more important to me than others so this would be just my opinion.

I guess we can start by visual, the G70 looks the best, I have gotten so many compliments on the look of this board fron keyboards players to family members. On the opposite side, I have gotten jokes about the Tyros, looks like your flying a spaceship. Are the lights big enough, looks like a disco dance floor. the PA would be in the middle.

You know I love the G70, the sounds are there, some very hidden also I noticed that the Roland sounds seem to be tweaked for live play, meaning, you can only hear the brilliance of a PA1x sound when nothing else is playing.

the g70 has a great on the fly adjustemnts of styles and songs. a great registration system and a perfect song selection ability.

the styles of the 3 are tough, I tend to like alot of the Tyros styles, but the have a very thin sound to the whole keyboard, the Korg has great styles but they seem empty compared to the others.

I have to say the Ketron SD1 has the most usable styles and the best blend of sounds,

We need a 75% of Ketron Styles, the Rest taken from Tyros and Roland.

use 50% of the sounds from Ketron and the other half from G70 and PA1xpro.

Then I feel that the ease of the G70 and Tyros operating system, and the depth of the PA1xpro,

Also thumbs up to Korg for always having updates.

So I have benn giggin with the G70, the vocalizer actually works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online