SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172612 - 06/19/03 11:02 PM A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I had some free time today so I decided to cruise over to my local GC to check to see if there happened to be a shining new PSR 2100 in stock. There wasn't when I called a few days ago but I was in the area so I stopped and went inside to have a look see for myself. Still no PSR 2100 but they did still have a PSR 2000 on display. I stepped inside the Home Keyboard Department room and just casually looked around to see if there was anything new when a guy walks in and starts to play the PSR 2000. I told him the PSR 2000 was an excellent Keyboard much better compared to the PSR 740 which he told me he use to have. I told him I owned a PSR 2000 and the Vocal Harmony was much improved over the PSR 740 also. I also mentioned to him that the new PSR 2100 had just been released and was currently selling in Australia and Europe and it was just beginning to show up in the States. I told him some of the new features on the PSR 2100 like the new Live!, Cool!, and Sweet! Voices and that it had double the WAV ROM of the PSR 2000, etc. The guy said that he had all of his equipment stolen just recently! (Another reason to keep your eye on your gear when gigging.) He had his PSR 740 and a Roland something "I couldn't make out what he said", stolen. Well, I thought he would really be excited about me telling him about the new PSR 2100. I told him it should be available at GC within a month or two at the most. He told me he couldn't wait that long. So, yep, you guessed it. He took the PSR 2000, but he actually took the one on Display!! GC didn't have one in a box and the Display model was their 'last one'! So much for double the WAV ROM and new Sweet!, Cool!, and Live! voices. In his mind anyway!!! He almost certainly was a gigging Musician (although I didn't ask him if he was) and apparently he needed a Keyboard ASAP.

I find it very amusing. Here I am trying to convince him that he should get a PSR 2100 and the next thing I know I turn around and he has the PSR 2000 under one arm headed for the checkout counter. I mean when you think of it, if he was a gigging Musician the guy could of rented a Keyboard for a few weeks if he wanted to, then afterwards buy a PSR 2100; which I was trying to convince him to do. I guess I didn't convince him. Well at least he bought the PSR 2000!!! I guess I had a hand in that too.

Best regards,
Mike

#172613 - 06/19/03 11:20 PM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Mike: I might understand the logic of this guys thinking. First of all, he's a gigging musician, right? Well, he proabably needs an axe NOW, in order to stay gainfully employed. No keyboard, no $, that simple. The other thing comes down to the issue of 'making music'. Whether you play the PSR2000 or PSR2100 it won't make you sound substantially better. Only better musicianship (chops) will make that kind of a difference. The slight sound improvement of the newer PSR2100 may be noticeable to us, but I'm pretty sure most of the audience won't notice at all.

The GREAT thing about Guitar Center is that they offer a risk free 30 day exchange or complete refund, so the guy can exchange it for the PSR2100 within 30 days if he chooses. The bottom, line, it's a win win situation, as the dude's getting a Dell, I mean Yammy. - Scott

#172614 - 06/20/03 06:16 AM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
trtjazz Offline

Mike, could be immediate need or.....you're just a crummie salesman

Scott I think you're right sort of. What I think an audience does notice is an overall sound quality to a performance rather than the specifics we as musicians may notice.

While I think it is true that someone with great chops can make a junk instrument sound good...a great instrument makes the musician with chops sound even better.Pearlman would sound great on any violin, but on his Strad it brings out the best in him IMO. The sound is sweeter and I think he is more inspired due to it which equals better playing.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#172615 - 06/20/03 08:36 AM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Mike, I deal with shoppers every day and I can tell you that some people hate to shop, hate to compare, and are not at all interested in anything but what they can take home today. They want to find something that will do the job NOW. I love these people very much!
Bill

#172616 - 06/21/03 10:01 AM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Idatrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Mike, could be immediate need or.....you're just a crummie salesman

I would guess it's probably both.
--------------------------------------
Bill E, I had a listen to your song "Be Walking" and it is excellent. I guess it helps to live in Nashville, huh? You have an excellent voice. Good enough to be on the radio and have a #1 hit imho. It just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat. No Arranger per say, but an excellent result none the less. If you make it to the top someday (and even before), it might be in your interest to take up the Keyboard. The Arranger Keyboard is a fantastic tool to use to get ideas for songs, and they are extremely easy to manipulate and very convenient to have and relatively easy to transport with you wherever your next World Tour happens to takes you.

PS: What Mic did you use with "Be Walking"?
The vocals were very crisp and clean and came through loud and clear. Kudos for such a great effort Bill!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 06-21-2003).]

#172617 - 06/21/03 07:25 PM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Bill E Offline

Mike, thanks for listening and for your kind words. Most people would say that I can't sing at all. I would agree. What you hear is the result of many overdubs! I use a Studio Projects C1 mic, through a RNC "Really Nice Compressor", and I am very happy with this combo. I'm not sure what you meant about arrangers, but just to clarify, Everything on that track except guitar and vocal is arranger keyboard. I have a Korg is40 that I bought from TomTom, and it is "playing" all the drums,bass, piano, etc. I did write the song, but I could never have played all those parts. If you are saying that it does not sound like an arranger----well, thank you very much!
Bill

#172618 - 06/22/03 12:51 PM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Idatrod Offline

My mistake Bill. I thought from your thread which the header stated: "How a non-playing songwriter uses an arranger" I thought that you didn't play the Keyboard. I am not familiar with the Korg is40. I take it it must be an Arranger. You're right though, it doesn't 'sound' like your typical Arranger composition. It is interesting that you use an RNC Compressor. I checked those out probably over a year ago and its specs. were very impressive. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again as I will investigate further about the RNC and may wind up getting one down the road. Thanks again for sharing your music with all of us here at SZ Bill.

Best regards,
Mike

#172619 - 06/22/03 07:39 PM Re: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Bill E Offline

Mike, by "nonplaying" I meant that I have NO keyboard skills, and that I use an arranger to help me get song ideas out of my head so they can be heard. Works better than just strumming a guitar, although I would much prefer a band!
As for the RNC, well this has my highest reccomendation. This is the absolute audio bargin of the decade. Plain and simple, this quality of compression has never before been available at such a low cost, and it is very easy to use. Most settings sound pretty good ,some just great, and you have to really try to get it to sound bad. This is NOT the case with many compressors. Buy from Mercenary Audio and if you don't absolutely love it, they will INSIST that you return it for a full refund! You won't be sorry.
Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online