SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#172478 - 05/02/05 01:19 PM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
Years ago, I would have suspected that integrating synths with computers would have been more mainstream by this time, yet it still seems overly complicated.

Yes!!! 100% YES!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
Am I nuts, or is there some truth to what I have observed. If so, why is this the case?

It's the today's marketing...
If you're still not nuts then you'll buy and buy and buy and buy...
M$ gets richer and the world gets poorer - it's a nearly perfect strategy...

And in a few years we will have to pay the bill...well, or still the Bill...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#172479 - 05/02/05 06:31 PM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Actually, back in the 80's and early 90's, there was quite a bit of it going on. Much if not most of it was being done on the Atari platform.

Cubase was born there, and if I remember correctly, so was Band in A Box. There were lots of other very cool apps too, some of which are long gone. Many of these apps were very simple, yet, even today, for just running midi based programs, or programming midi synths and editing patches, these old apps are still quite relevant.

Why today do they seem to be so complex ? My guess is the it's because of the multitude of technological advances, and the fact that many users want to be able to customize their own setups, and have an entire studio in a box or two. There is a lot of competiton today too, in a rather tight market. I'm pretty amazed at what can be done today on one machine, but I guess all of that brings complexity

Today, we can all go to forums that companies often frequent, and request different features, as well as submit both positive and negative feedback. This really didn't exist not so many years ago.

Just a sampling of this forum could speak volumes on if, for example, we all tried to accomplish a similar thing musically. My guess is that each member might have similar yet slightly to largely different approaches to the way they want to work.

The one other glaring thing is that the original General midi standard from back then hasn't really evolved at all, but different companies have gone in somewhat different directions in order to upgrade and try to keep it commensurte with technological advances..eg - Yamaha with XG, Roland with GS, etc. So it isn't quite so "standard" any more.

As a side note, a while back, I ran across Tim Conrardy's Atari midi site. His site hosts many of the old commercial Atari apps, and most have now been released as freeware. His site also hosts the old .tos images as well as Steem, which is an Atari emulator for PC. I was thrilled when I was able to install steem and run some of the old Atari apps. Great nostalgia.. and fun, but also, there are quite a few apps that I find to still be useful, so many years later. Great job Tim, and many thanks for it.

AJ

and now, once again because AJ can type a lot faster than his marginal brain can think..... once again...

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-02-2005).]

#172480 - 05/03/05 09:47 AM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
I have been using my Motif ES with Mlan16e for a while now and it truly does work. I dont have it hooked up to a laptop though. But to a regular pc i put together.
I really like the ES because the Mlan feature gives you like 4 midi ports of 16 midi channels each. Plus all the Digital audio channels. 16 total. So you can send upto 14 individual digital channels to your pc sequencer or total 16 together via channel 15&16. then you can send upto 4 stereo or 8 mono digital channels back to the ES via Mlan. All via one single Firewire cable!
I love it and its working flawlessly for me.

------------------
Peace,

Musikman

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

#172481 - 05/03/05 10:21 AM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Sheriff Offline

Yes, AJ, the many supporters of Atari related softwares made a really good job and they're still doing it. TOS is now open source under the GPL and so it's still alive. TOS had grown to a modern system in the shadow of the market.
TOS emulations for PCs are very pretty but not amazing. Newer Atari hardware will provide better abilities for TOS applications than emulations ever do - because emulations are replications and no innovations!

Hey, AJ! If you're interested in newer hardware projects read this thread: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/003421.html
Just for information...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-03-2005).]

#172482 - 05/03/05 10:30 AM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Musikman4Christ:
I really like the ES because the Mlan feature gives you like 4 midi ports of 16 midi channels each.

How does it work? I remember that the most synths do provide 16 midi channels only...

Quote:
Originally posted by Musikman4Christ:
Plus all the Digital audio channels. 16 total. So you can send upto 14 individual digital channels to your pc sequencer or total 16 together via channel 15&16...

...and, and, and...

Hey, it sounds amazing!!! How much costs a system like Motif ES7 plus mLAN16-E? And what hardware else do I need? I guess this will be more money than for my old Atari system...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-03-2005).]

#172483 - 05/03/05 12:21 PM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
hauschild Offline

Loc: lisle,il,usa
Sheriff,

Well, I can tell you I paid 2000 dollars + 175 for sales tax = 2175 dollars for my ES7. The mLAN16 expansion board is 300 dollars.

Plus your computer and sequencing software and studio monitors and God knows what else, I'm realizing I am very lucky I am a software developer because I would not be able to afford this stuff if I had a normal job!

MUSICMAN...thanks for your input about your mLAN16. Can you tell me, if I purchase one of these and install to my ES7, will I need any other pieces of hardware? What sequencing software are you using? I've got Sonar4 installed on my laptop, but I have hooked my synth up yet. I'm trying to determine the best road for me to travel down. Thanks!

#172484 - 05/04/05 10:20 AM Re: Synth To Laptop ...
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
Guys, sorry for not responding earlier. I always check my email for responses to my posts, but for some reason, I never get any from the Forum. I dont know how to fix that unfortunately.

But anyways here we go:

Im using One Man Band with my ES7 to come up with the backing tracks for my songs. I recently purchased Jamstix from Rayzoon, and I think my drum tracks will never be the same.
Ok, but to use the ES7 with Mlan, you dont really need anything else.
http://www.mlancentral.com/

Most of the stuff is included with your ES7. Yamaha gives you a CD with Editors, and even a fully loaded Audio and MIDI sequencer called Yamaha SQ1v2, which you can use with your Mlan16e to send audio and midi to your PC. I used this one mostly in the beginning till I learned how to use Cubase SX. Which is what I only use now.

I basically use One Man Band, record the midi output of OMB to my Motif ES sequencer, then once the song is there, I can change voice patches, drumkits, or do what ever I wish to the song. Then, I hook up a microphone to the Analog inputs of my Motif ES, and patch that input via Mlan to my computer, apply insert effects if I wish, and send that vocal tracks, playing along with my motif sequenced tracks, all in pure digital audio to the pc via a single firewire cable. I dont have the latest System, but my athlon 2600XP is working flawlessly. Im using 512 pc3200 ram with a Firewire card, and its working like a dream.

You can use any software you wish, but to make sure, you can always go to the:
http://www.motifator.com/es/index_es.php

Hey, gotta go but if you need any help, check out the Motif Forum, man, there is so much info there about mlan, and everything else. Dont get intimidated if you dont see many arranger folks there, but believe, there are, we are just behind the curtains. Im one. And proud too !! LOL

Rock on my frinds,

------------------
Peace,

Musikman

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online