SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172146 - 11/18/02 01:04 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The speaker bracket idea for larger speakers sounds promising if it's easily detachable, say with thumbscrews. There's not much doubt that the current music stand and speaker brackets protrude somewhat as currently designed and could cause some problem if left attached when transporting. Maybe something as simple as replacing the bracket mounting hardware with thumbscrews would solve this. I would like having hardware mounting options that allow for a variety of speaker combinations. Thanks for asking.

#172147 - 11/18/02 04:30 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think if you bolted a shelf to the keyboard - whatever you place on it will bounce like crazy, unless you actually "tickle" the ivories (plastics!)
Anything you set on top - better be fastened well !

#172148 - 11/18/02 04:35 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Dnj Offline

I have to agree with Dave on this very crucial issue for a busy giging musician.......

No Speakers .....No Tyros!

#172149 - 11/18/02 05:07 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I believe the keyboard 'bounce' comes from the stand, particularly if you use an X type stand. I notice little (if any at all) bounce when I place my keyboard on my Quick Lok brand Monolith stand . . .

http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=33262

and I've even been known to give the 2000's plasticy toy keys on the PSR2000 quite a workout . . . . yet . . . this kb keeps on going , just like that Duracell bunny.

At this point, it seems like the Tyros is the best kb upgrade option for me right now, otherwise stick with the PSR2000 till the next arranger keyboard offering. I'll audition the Tyros (if and when it finally arrives) and make a final decide then. The Technics KN7000 is a built in speaker possibility but the cheezy vocalizer, inconvenient drum fill to variation, weak drums, and poor split mode jazz chord recognition are keeping me luke warm about goig that route. On the other hand, playing the KN7000 jazz & swing styles in full keyboard mode is a total JOY! I especialy like the KN7000 Steinway piano sample.

#172150 - 11/18/02 06:47 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
On the other hand, playing the KN7000 jazz & swing styles in full keyboard mode is a total JOY!

Scott,

Whats stopping you from trying the KN7k next?

#172151 - 11/18/02 07:28 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Whats stopping you from trying the KN7k next?

1) CHEESY sounding feature-less vocalizer:

Utilizing an outboard vocalizer is not an option. It's mcuh better to be able to store the vocalizer settings along with all the other song's settings in the keyboard.

2) In split mode, KN7000 only recognizes real BASIC elementary chord voicings:

Contrary to full keyboard mode, the KN7000 in 'split mode' does not recognize the more professional sophisticated chord voicings commonly used in left handed acoustic piano style comping. I NEVER mute the left voice so the part (acoustic piano)played in the left hand is always heard while my right hand plays instrumental solos. Playing and hearing just vanilla sounding root style chords when playing the jazz standards sounds down right hokey.

3) Weak anemic drum fills and lack of a convenient one button fill approach when moving to/from ANY variation.

All the above features are critical elements to my playing style. A keyboard with 'built-in' speakers is definitely very high on my list, but not at the expense of the above features.

#172152 - 11/18/02 08:23 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Utilizing an outboard vocalizer is not an option. It's mcuh better to be able to store the vocalizer settings along with all the other song's settings in the keyboard.

Do you change Voc settings much?

#172153 - 11/18/02 09:07 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Scottyee Offline

hey Donny,

here's a real simple song example of what I'm talking about:

reg 1 (verse 1)vocalizer: OFF
reg 2 (verse 2)vocalizer: std duet
reg 3 (chorus)vocalizer: mixed choir
reg 4 (verse 3) vocalizer: OFF
reg 5 (verse 4)vocalizer: 2 female singers
reg 6 (chorus) vocalizer: mixed choir

All the above settings are saved in the PSR2000's memory registration (along with all the other KB settings) and then called up via foot pedal controler via Registration Sequence advance in REAL time. BTW: Drum fills preceding each Reg change are also automatically triggered upon each Reg Memory advance. As I've repeated so MANY times, I can't over emphasize how dynamic drum fills at the right places offer live energy which can really turn ON the performance and subsequently the audience..

The Technics KN7000 does NOT allow you to do this, at least as far as I could tell when in the music store auditioning it. Perhaps a Technics KN7000 owner here could provide a more definitive answer regarding that.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-18-2002).]

#172154 - 11/18/02 09:21 PM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
Dnj Offline

Thats interesting. I don't know if the 9k units can do that also. I pretty much use only 1 or 2 voc styles for most of my songs, Country girls and Mens choir, controled by pedal on/off in one reg.

#172155 - 11/19/02 02:25 AM Re: Tyros Speakers : Setup/Breakdown Questions
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I've uploaded some photos now of how the speakers attached to the tyros at the tyrosworld discussion group (photos area).

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online