SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172127 - 09/28/02 01:01 PM Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
Why is this #^%@$ keyboard so finicky with midi files. I downloaded about 40 off an excellent site, and they sound great on the computer even. 80% of them will not load and say "song error".

But lo and behold, I put them in my trusty Korg and no problem. They load FINE. I've noticed a few of my (commercial) midi files when I tried loading them a month ago said song error. I figured I must have screwed with them to the I2's config and I'd figure it out eventually, but apparently there is more to this.

Does anyone know why??

I'll send some to you if that will help

#172128 - 09/28/02 01:31 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had similar problems with my X4... I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might have to do with the fact that the midi file has more than 16 tracks. You can do a quick test: edit one of these "song error" midi files in a software sequencer and remove enough tracks so you keep only the first 16. Save and check again if it works...

Be careful with file names with over 8 characters, at least it seem to be a problem in my X4...

Good luck,

-- José.

#172129 - 09/28/02 01:43 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
justforfun000 Offline

Guess what? I found out that if you load them from the floppy to the hard disk then they work.

Its fussy with loading them direct from disk.

WEIRD.

One other thing is driving me nuts though. How the hell do you go to where you want in the measure?

Sometimes I want to stop where its at, back up a measure or two and listen to it over. Especially when trying to fiddle with it. The only thing I seem to be able to do is press start which erases it, or pause.

#172130 - 09/28/02 02:17 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Yes .......copy them onto the hard drive .

Perfectly normal and has happened before .

Remember COPY not LOAD !

The size of the midifile can effect whetehr the SD1 can play it ( midifile) directly from the disk drive .

#172131 - 09/28/02 02:50 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:
Guess what? I found out that if you load them from the floppy to the hard disk then they work.

Its fussy with loading them direct from disk.

WEIRD.

I'm not sure Kendall and DanO are talking about the same thing... It also happened to me to try loading a midi file from the floppy - and it plays ok - and then copy it from the floppy to the hard disk and load it from there - it gives the message "song error". Did you try to change the name of the file (8 characters max)?

Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:
One other thing is driving me nuts though. How the hell do you go to where you want in the measure?

Sometimes I want to stop where its at, back up a measure or two and listen to it over. Especially when trying to fiddle with it. The only thing I seem to be able to do is press start which erases it, or pause.

I can only tell you how it works in my X4. It should not be too different in the SD1...

There are two ways of doing what you want. The first one has limitations.

1) In "Song Play" mode, you can start the midifile where you want. Do the following (in Song Play mode) and in stop position:
- Press Count/Pause/Restart and choose the song number.
- With the Value +/- button choose the number of the measure in the song.
- Press Count/Pause/Restart again. The instrument positions itself in the chosen point in pause mode (it takes a little while).
- Press Pause again: the song starts in the chosen point.

The limitation is that you can not go back and forth without reinitiating the whole process.

2) You can alternatively load the midi file in the sequencer editor/creator and there is (in the upper left corner of the display, in the X4) a function called position composed by three numbers: the first gives you the measure, the second indicates the quarter, and the third is the step. You can easily choose the position you wish to go and start from there. You can stop, choose another starting point, and restart from there.

Hope it helps,

-- José.

#172132 - 09/28/02 02:51 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
DannyUK Offline

This is a VERY typical problem that i get with my X1, and at first i thought it was the FD until sometimes even when copying the file to the HD still says SONG ERROR, try for example obtaining a midi file called "Dreamer" by Ozzy Osborne and try getting it going on the Ketron! Even copying it to the HD didnt work, so i had to use the Kar2Mid utility even though it was already a midi file! That sorted the problem out anyway.....strange...

#172133 - 09/28/02 03:13 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
justforfun000 Offline

Thank you matias. Very much. It worked exactly as you said.

I find it weird that it would be so limited like that though?? With the Korg you just skipped the cursor over to the actual measure, and pressed start/stop. You had complete control.

So I presume that on this board the song play section does NOT allow any actual in-depth sequencing? On mine if I heard something I didn't like for example like a cymbal crash that wasn't loud enough, I'd stop the song. (It automatically stops on whatever measure and waits). Then I would skip up a couple of screens to "Edit track", pop in and see where it was. In this case for example it would show the keyboard note "C#3", the common cymbal, and it would be anywhere from 1:00 to 4:95. The full length of the 4 measures broken into "minutes". Is that the same way this works on here? Same kind of sequencing? I hope so because there are some cases already where I'm listening and want to go in and alter volumes especially. Some things come over completely different than the levels in my previous board.

I really appreciate the help from everyone on this, because I was honestly expecting this SD1 to be pretty similar to the Korg, and also a lot more naturally compatible with the instruments, effects settings, etc.

I thought I was switching from a volkswagon to a Ferrari, instead it feels like I've switched to a Space Rocket.

It's SO complicated, and it has such a confusing manual to me I feel like I may never learn it properly. Hopefully I can get a copy of AJ's.

#172134 - 09/28/02 05:31 PM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I know you are in Canada , so who did you buy your keyboard from ?

Are you getting any support from who you boought it from ?

Don't you feel that the sound quality has tremendously improved vs. your Korg ?

If I am not mistaken , the korg plays sequences from it's sequencer , where as the Sd1 stores everything on the hard drive .

You can copy any sequence into the internal sequencer of the Sd1 and edit like you have on Korg .

BTW ...I have thousands of songs stored on my hard drive of the Sd1 .

I can edit sounds , volumnes , effects , panning , transpostion while the song plays off of the harddrive . I think it's a big plus . d

dano

#172135 - 09/29/02 07:34 AM Re: Okay, I'm going to lose it...SD1 users. HAAALP
justforfun000 Offline

Hi Dan01

I got it from the main dealer in Canada, Ital Melody. I have talked to the guy that's sold it to me a couple of times and he's been helpful, but I seem to have a million questions and I don't want to keep bothering the poor guy, especially when it's long distance.

NOW I understand. I didn't realize the sequencing function was seperate. That explains a lot. However, I thought they said the things you change while it is playing can be saved, so a lot of on the fly changes are possible? When I have songs with the wrong instruments assigned to a channel, do I have to copy the songs to the sequencer to change that? I could change it from my Korg board, but I can't access all the sounds on the Solton. There are many more. So it would be better from there.

Sound quality difference? MASSIVE. That's the only thing that keeps me from saying screw it.

Hey, in relation to your songs, would you be interested in swapping at some point? Or selling? I currently buy some midi files on a regular basis. It'd be even better to get ones tweaked perfectly for my board.

Kendall

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online