SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171755 - 06/27/03 07:08 AM For Old Country Fans
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Last night when I got to my job at the hotel in Bossier City, I was surprised by having several old-time country-western stars at my "piano" bar.
They are in town for appearances at the Louisiana Hayride Reunion show this weekend. http://www.am1130thefan.com/onemoreride.html
Among those that sang with me were Hank Thompson ("Six-pack To Go", "I Didn't Know God Made Honky-Tonk Angels", etc.) http://www.halloffame.org/hall/mem/hank-thompson.html
and Norma Jean, http://www.slipcue.com/music/country/countryartists/normajean.html
and Jeannette Hicks, who sang many duets with George Jones in the 50's, plus having her own solo career.. http://www.emusic.com/artist/10567/10567731.html
Johnny Horton's brother, Tommy and his wife also sang, and it was almost like having the late Johnny there. He sang "Battle Of New Orleans", "Whispering Pines" and others with me.
I will jam with them some more, plus with some of the othes this weekend. The young guys here won't appreciate what a great thrill this was for me.
DonM

#171756 - 06/27/03 07:25 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Congrats Don, I wish I could of been there sounds like a
great time. I love the older country stars, they are great.
Have Fun
Denny

#171757 - 06/27/03 07:26 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I sure do ! Sounds like a blast, Don.

#171758 - 06/27/03 07:30 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
How neat. Did any of them bring their instruments? Did you use your arranger styles on the PSR 2000? (I ask because I can't think of a style that would work for Johnny's "Battle of New Orleans.)

I'd love to be there to witness these sessions. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Eddie

#171759 - 06/27/03 07:42 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
trtjazz Offline

Don, how very cool and what an opportunity to have some greats sit in with you.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#171760 - 06/27/03 07:54 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Don, boy am I jeoulous. Oh how 'I wish I were in the land of cotton' (with you) 'today'. As a classic 50's honky tonk Country Music afficiando myself, I share in your excitement over the opportunity to jam with these true legends of Country Music. I'm sure the spirit of Kitty Wells will be singing along as well. Please don't forget to request Hank to sing "Green Light", Humpty Dumpty Heart, and Rub a Dub Dub, ok?

Please be sure to take pics, make a recording, and share with us this memorable event.

Scott

btw: if you're interested in seeing & hearing classic 50's country music performance footage on DVD, checkout the 'Country Music Classics' DVD series.

These showcase these guys in their prime. Rare performances and in color as well. Really a kick. My favorites include the Jim Reeves -Ray Price DVD, Marty Robbins - Ernest Tubb DVD, and Web Pierce - Chet Atkins DVD. There's even a rare shot of a very young Floyd Cramer playing piano on the Jim Reeves - Ray Price DVD.

#171761 - 06/27/03 08:26 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Eddie, they didn't bring any instruments, it was just me and the singers.
I used a March on Battle of New Orleans. I killed all the parts except drums and bass and played the rest live.
Scott, it was the ONE night I didn't take my digital recorder. There were several of the customers taking pictures, so I may get some of them.
I had my digital camera in the van, but I didn't take a break from 6 until 10, so I didn't go out and bring it in.
Actually Kitty Wells is in town, but she didn't come in the club. Jeannete Hicks sang "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" though. The lady can really sing!
DonM

#171762 - 06/27/03 11:16 AM Re: For Old Country Fans
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Congrats Don--Sure wish I could have been there with you. What an incredible night.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#171763 - 06/27/03 08:56 PM Re: For Old Country Fans
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Don you lucky dawg! Hank Thompson is the REAL DEAL, and I'll take him over these pretty boys with hats any day. Sing a little Merle for them.
Bill

#171764 - 06/27/03 09:13 PM Re: For Old Country Fans
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Some of those pretty boys pick a mean git-tar, like Vince Gill, Marty Stewart and many others ! The good ole boys wrote and sang 'em nice, but the concrete cowboys can sure work the fretboards !
Today's country players are about as good as any pickers out there. They can out play most rockers in a heartbeat.
Turn off the distortion and chorus and guys like Slash could'nt shine Glen Campbells shoes !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online