SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#17167 - 10/10/99 10:45 PM Korg Triton Sound Output Too Quiet......
pearcebh Offline

Loc: Orlando, Florida - USA
Hi, everybody!

I just purchased a Korg Triton.

Need a suggestion, but first some background....

I have a 4-year-old Roland JV-50, and I've been playing it through the "aux-in" on my Bose stereo system. I live in an apartment, so I can't jam too loudly anyway. Besides, this has worked just fine with the Roland, and it allows me to practice without buying an amp and a whole new set of speakers.

The new Triton's output seems to be very very quiet, and so I have to turn up the stereo system. I get a 60 cycle hum when I do this. I believe I should be able to somehow make the Korg produce LOUDER line output so that the stereo won't have to amplify it that much.

By the way, the Korg seems to be quiet through the headphone jack (as input into the stereo, which is what I used to be able to do with the Roland) as well as through the "line out" jack.

If I can turn down the volume on the stereo system, then I won't hear that annoying hum, and I will be a happy jammer.

By the way, the rhythms and drum kits seem to play at an acceptable volume...maybe (It's so new, I'm giving my own brain input-overload); it's too quiet when I'm playing something on the keyboard, like piano or trumpet.

I shall continue to review the manual, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW... I love the Triton so far, and one little benefit not often spoken of is this: No power supply adapter! Instead, the keyboard comes with a standard 3-prong wall plug, exactly like the kind your typical computer takes!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-- Brian
(still awash in "bricks," but in a better mood today!)

#17168 - 10/11/99 07:38 PM Re: Korg Triton Sound Output Too Quiet......
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should not have that problem. The Audio outputs on all synths are the same. I have Roland, Yamaha, AKAI, Korg, and so on....the volume levels are all the same.

Maybe you have a funny Triton. You may need to check that out.

#17169 - 10/12/99 11:07 AM Re: Korg Triton Sound Output Too Quiet......
pearcebh Offline

Loc: Orlando, Florida - USA
Thanks, James!

I figured out my problem when I plugged a headset into the Korg. The Korg plays fine through headphones, so I figured that I must have been using an inferior cable to send the signal into the stereo.

I needed to pony up and buy some "real" cables for both of my keyboards. I was using a stereo headphone "extension" cable. It worked fine for the Roland, but I suppose it could have always been "borderline," and I may not have known it.

I've since made a change, and now I send the signals via separate left/right 1/4" mono-to-RCA cables into an old radio shack mixer that was just collecting dust.

The mixer has a fader that allows me to easily adjust the line level for either keyboard. I'm using a standard RCA patch cable to direct the signal from the mixer into the "aux" input on my stereo.

It took a little bit of adjusting, and requires me to constantly be aware of my levels in order to minimize distortion, but it's working okay for now as my "daily driver" setup.

Thanks for your time!

-- Brian

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online