SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#171684 - 05/01/05 02:02 AM Re: Things change
bbc Offline

Loc: France
YamahaMan,
I was like you 1 year ago trying to have my best configuration to make music. Sounds are really fine but the one thing you really miss is the emotion and interactivity that changes the way you play at the moment. IMHO, I think it's not a good configuration to play music with a computer, even if the sounds are really great.
Regards

#171685 - 05/01/05 04:42 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaAndy:
It is only a matter of time before softsynths sampled at 192KHz@24 are becoming a standard...

Hey, why not 5.1GHz @ 1024 bit sample rate? Do you really think that this would sound better for you? Hahaha...sorry, but I believe that you don't know a special physical fact:

The ears of a young child can't hear more than 20KHz (max. 22KHz). My ears (I'm 37 years old) can't hear more than about 16-18KHz and this ability will faint more and more.

Also the same with the resolution:
You won't really hear a difference between 16bit rate and 24bit rate (and more) because of the same reason. But if you really think that you will get better with 192KHz@24 then go your way. I don't want to hold you. But some day you will see that your HDD isn't sufficient enough for your recordings....and that's the only effect you will really notice...

Believe it or not!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#171686 - 05/01/05 05:21 AM Re: Things change
Roel Offline

Sherrif,
I think YamahaAndy is right and your reaction on it is kind of 'sarcastic'.
Perhaps it is you who misses some physical knowledge

Higher samplerates are able to record/playback with better time-resolution. Wave-Harmonics exist far above 20kHz and they absolutely make a difference.

You write about 16 bit and 24 bit rates, what is very wrong. The 16bit and 24bit stands for 'resolution' (accuracy) what is very important for the dynamics in a song. The higher the bit-resolution the better dynamics.

About the HDD's : Don't you know the HDD-capacity doubles (or triples) every year ?
In IT, storage isn't an issue anymore.

Roel

#171687 - 05/01/05 06:26 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
I think YamahaAndy is right and your reaction on it is kind of 'sarcastic'.

No, it was not a'kind' of sarcasm but it was absolutly sarcasm because of it's true what I've said. It's always the same as with video resolutions on screen. There's no need for 24 bit colour resolution because this will bring you about 16 millions of different colours but the human's eyes can't differ more than 2 millions of colour steps...

Quote:
Perhaps it is you who misses some physical knowledge

Well, I guess you never created your own amplifier and so you also never messed out the dynamics of audio systems. If you had ever do so then you would know that I'm right. Try to built a tube amplifier with high quality dynamics and you will hear the truth...

I know that the sounds will change with the depthness of resolution but it isn't the right way of changing because we left the original sound quality more and more. The waves will sound like they never do in reality. We don't need gigantism.
I guess if I would tell you that my accoustic guitar sounds exactly like the 16bit wave of it you would never believe it and so my mission ended here...

If I were you I wouldn't believe all the things that manufacturers do write and proclaim! Note, they only want your money more than ever before. If you believe all those wrong informations you will be on the best way to be their slave...

Remember what I told you today. In a few years you will see the desaster on earth. I don't have to be a prophet for it...

And why do the HDD's capacities grow? Because MS drove you all into the arms of the reeper...hehehe
Oops, sorry for my new sarcasm but I think it's a little bit funny that YOU want to explain ME what's on with audio technology. I'm a hard- and software engineer and a musician since about 20 years! I have lived to see the growing of digital technology from the beginning. I've also seen the rise and fall of many manufacturers of new digital technologies. I'm still using venyl records and I'm also using digital records like CD (or sometimes mp3).
I'm a sound engineer since about 11 years. I'm working in my home studio since 11 years. I'm still working on an Atari but I'm also using Windows, Linux and Risc OS. But in all those years I didn't understand the unability of the most people in our small world to recognize what's good or bad, what's necessary and what's not. They're mostly crying like babies "what makes this for me?" and "why do that not function?" - it's terrible. But if I tried to help them they suddenly would do it for their own.
And so...here we are...in a world full of nasty humans without any correct knowledge and without orientation...but nevertheless they all mean to know it better than those who saw the desaster (those wo/men like me)...

And by the way, it's called 'Sheriff' not 'Sherrif'...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#171688 - 05/01/05 07:26 AM Re: Things change
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
to be honest this technology goes way over my head but,many years ago i went to olympia (a big exhibition in london) to look at the latest hi fi equipment,all the makers were there but one stand i went to ,the sound was UNBELIEVABLE it sounded like a large band,which most of us thought was hidden behind a curtain,a few of us even said so,the man in charge went to the back and pulled the curtain open,NOTHING, then he showed us this box,he took off the lid and all we saw was a system full of valves,its a pity i can,t remember the name of it,all i remember is that it was really expensive but sound wise superb,grahamuk you was in the trade i wonder if you know?it sure it wasn,t QUAD,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 05-01-2005).]

#171689 - 05/01/05 08:19 AM Re: Things change
Roel Offline

Sheriff,
Your Curriculum Vitae is 'impressive'. I think at the time I built my first amplifier (Tubes) you were not even born

My occupation/hobbies are the same as yours, I'm a musician since 1975. I started computing around that time and still do !As well gigs, recordings, equipment repairs etc.

Please try to respect other people's opinions/views and be a little more kind in your replies. Etwas mehr freunlichkeit und ein weniger Hochmut würde besser passen.

Grüsse aus Holland !

#171690 - 05/01/05 08:53 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Well, I've said it and I do it again:
Remember what I told you today. In a few years you will see the desaster on earth. I don't have to be a prophet for it...

It's not a case of opinions but of facts.
You all can tell us your opinions but I will be angry with all those people who tell us lies. I'm still alive and I'm watching at you all...

And, I'm sorry if you think that I'm out of respect but it's that point that I feel unrespected by those who tell such wrong statements.

It seems to me that all newbies and all DAUs today are thinking that they would know so much more than an expert. Why is it so? Because they all believe all proclaimings by manufacturers.
Hey, a CPU running at 2 GHz is automatically faster than a CPU running on 500 MHz? If you're really that what you're saying then you should know that this isn't really the truth - it's only the half truth.
This example and many more are the reason why I'm telling you such sarcastic words. I'm working since 3 years with some friends of mine to keep the support of older techs because we had lost so many things (transistors, ICs, etc.) and we will lose so much more in future.
So I have to save knowledge and technologies and that's a real hard work you can't imagine. Everytime I cannon into the user's ignorance. Every time I have to correct errors by the blinds. Would you prefer go through the world with open eyes or with closed once?

I'm happy to live with open eyes but sometimes I wish my eyes were closed too. So I would not see the desaster and were happy like all the other people over our cruel world...

If I had the might like a God all people would live in happiness WITH OPEN EYES (and without PCs )!!!
Nevertheless, I love you all!!! And if you think that I'm wrong then go and ignore me like all the others do...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#171691 - 05/01/05 08:56 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Oh, by the way, your german isn't really bad! When did you learn it? It was nice of you to tell me some german words...

I have to add one thing: Every time I'm reading about technical nonsens this hurts my mind in a way you can't imagine. Sarcasm is only a part of my self-defense...
------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-01-2005).]

#171692 - 05/01/05 09:27 AM Re: Things change
Roel Offline

You are right :
Ignoring your (weirdo) posts is probably the best thing to do.

Hast du getrunken oder änhliches ?

#171693 - 05/01/05 09:43 AM Re: Things change
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Hast du getrunken oder änhliches ?

Not really but that's not a bad idea I guess...

Hey, I have to say sorry to you all who feel insulted by my unsensible words. You have to heave the same burdens like me and so there's no reason for me to treat you in such a way.

I stood up in the morning at 6:00AM on a sunday - and just today on the "Tag der Arbeit"!!! I'm trying to fit a studio related problem and I still didn't eat anything. The next time I'm posting I should eat something first...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online